The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:04 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Sprint Wanted Please
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:45 pm 
TDC Member

Hi all

I’m looking to buy a Dolomite Sprint. Must be manual O/D, tax exempt, and not white. Looking for a tidy car in good usable condition. Improvers considered but don’t want a full on project at the moment. I’m in Kent but prepared to travel to view.

Any offers or leads gratefully received, here, or at bishop.ade@sky.com

Cash waiting.

All the best, Bish.

Post subject: Re: Sprint Wanted Please
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:59 pm 
TDC Member

Still looking!

Went to view this yesterday; https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C935716
Seemed like a decent car at a realistic price seeing as the owner was talking about taking 6 grand for it.
Unfortunately; it was at least two different shades of yellow, there were several rust bubbles to the front nose panel and rear arches, the rear off side door skin had been fitted badly and didn’t line up with the rest of the car, no two locks operate off the same key, chrome trim hanging off, poorly touched up areas of paint, bumpers spotted with rust, the front passenger door needed excessive force to actually get it to open, and the interior was in terrible shape and soaking wet - the front floor pans were actually holding puddles of water!

I was shown the car by the sellers brother as he couldn’t be present. I texted the seller after the viewing to tell him I wouldn’t be buying but thanks anyway and he replied with “your loss you time wasting C@#T” .

Charming..

If anyone is thinking of viewing the car JFG970N don’t bother.

Don’t get me wrong I don’t think that 6 grand is going to get me a show queen but I hoped for better.

Any leads on anything else worth viewing appreciated. Post here or contact me at bishop.ade@sky.com

All the best, Ade.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:59 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I was shown the car by the sellers brother as he couldn’t be present. I texted the seller after the viewing to tell him I wouldn’t be buying but thanks anyway and he replied with “your loss you time wasting C@#T” .
:shock: That's shocking. Deserves a good smack! Doesn't the idiot realise you know where the car is? Not that I would ever consider any action in such circumstances, especially not replies afterwards such as, "so who's the c*** now".

Revenge is a dish best served cold. And with an extortionate amount of interest.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:05 am 
TDC Member

Well considering the seller is a Lawyer I wouldn't advise giving him a smack! He is well known on a few big forums, bit of a character.

I know from his forum posts, the rear door was hit and dented by his gardeners van. Shame to hear the paint finish wasn't great. He has been using it as a daily, so sounds like a few things have caught up with it. However as he's doing alright, he's never spared expense on it. I've not seen this car in person I will admit but friends who have met up with BV (the seller) and seen it have remarked it was in decent shape.

Not sure if you're expecting a bit to much on the other stuff though. Different keys for different locks is pretty standard on old BL stuff. Rust will be a ever chasing battle if the car is in frequent use. Bumpers will rust if left outside to the elements.

Its one that is ready to go as a daily driver and not a barely used garage queen. Each to their own but I prefer a daily driver as I like driving cars not polishing them! Especially as garage queen's tend to start going wrong frequently once they are started to be used.

Good luck in your search!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:35 am 
TDC Member

I hear what your saying SIC on all fronts. I too prefer a car that has been used, but I don’t want one that’s been unloved and abused. And when I tell the seller that I don’t think it’s worth the money he’s asking I don’t think I should be abused either! I’m obviously not the first to tell him the cars not up to much hence the reply. It’s no biggy, it just wound me up a bit.

That’s it though, I’ve got it off my chest.... time to move on and keep looking.

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:45 pm 
TDC Member

saved me a trip :shock:

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2008 X-type 2.0D SE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:09 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
saved me a trip :shock:
That’s the reason I posted Trevor. I don’t want others to waste their time with the bloke.

I don’t know about you but I think valuing sprints is a bit hit and miss? Am I dreaming to think I should be able to get a good usable car for 5/6 grand? I value the car that I looked at the other day as around 4.5 grand but the guy is advertising it for 7! The other two on car and classic at the moment over 10 look to be well over priced too.

Or, am I just behind the times on values in the over inflated classic car market? Or, am I just an old duffer?

Probably both :D

Happy hunting....

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

When I bought mine early last year I looked at several Sprints at a range of prices from 4-12k I came close to buying an auto but wasn't prepared to meet the sellers price as it needed paint, interior, alloys and a bit of bodywork. Seller wouldn't budge below £4500 and sold it two days later. A £9k car I viewed needed work too. The £12 car was almost perfect but not quite.

I've spent about £1500 on my car and its still not perfect

not plugging it here but I may be selling it in the spring as I fancy a return to a 'proper' sports car. a sports saloon isn't really for me. Unless the market bombs I won't be letting it go for much less than £8k (not an advert just a comment) as thats my break even point

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:30 am 
TDC Member

Hhhhmmmmmm more food for thought, thanks for that. Maybe I need to lower my expectations or get more cash........... or both.

Bugger. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:30 am 
TDC South Hants Area Organiser

It does seem to me that Sprint prices have slowly risen in the last 12 months or so, you only have to look at the price of good 1300's and the likes which are going for around
4 - 5k. i think 7k-8k should buy you a good usable manual sprint with minimum if any, work required, an early sprint maybe slightly more.

Good luck :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:46 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I have an 'improver' Sprint that still needs some jobs doing that I've just offered to the previous owner on first refusal basis as he sold it to me cheap last year and that was the promise I made at the time. I recommissioned it last year after a 12 year lay up and it has MoT until July. If the PO doesn't want it, then I'll probably be offering it for general sale and it will be well within your budget.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:07 pm 
TDC Member

Unfortunately sellers and buyers have their own ideas as to what a car is worth.
Values have risen and that is no bad thing, but what is being described and then represented in the flesh can be wide of the mark.
Its about expectations and reality, if the basic car is as described then what 30-40 year old car isn't going to need some TLC.
What the TLC is and how much it will cost you comes into play then, if you haven't quite got the skills and have to farm out the work then it becomes ridiculously expensive to put right.

All values are subjective, and buyer and seller have to haggle and compromise or walk away.
If you really want it pay the price. If the final offer isn't enough for the seller play the long game until the right buyer turns up.

The rise in values, I think is due to the Ford situation, cant aFORD one, :lol: then what's the next nearest to it ah dolomite, viva, avenger etc.
Prices move and demand shifts.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2008 X-type 2.0D SE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
The rise in values, I think is due to the Ford situation, cant aFORD one, :lol: then what's the next nearest to it ah dolomite, viva, avenger etc.
Prices move and demand shifts.
I think the "Ford situation" as mentioned above will definitely have affected the prices of Sprints, I'm a perfect example of that very situation and the decision I made.

I've been a Ford man all my life and never really considered owning any other (middle class) performance car apart from Fords. In 2010 when we built our new house I had to sell my mint example red RS1600i, a well known car that had featured in a Ford magazine etc. I sold the car in 2010 for the market value at the time which was 4k, a fair price. That car 7 years later is a 15K car, totally unbelievable and brings tears to my eyes......... The Ford scene has gone totally mad in the last 12 to 24 months, I know the Ford scene well and never envisaged such a mental rise in their value in such a short period, if I had my 16i would still be in sitting in my garage. Imagine an RS2000 selling for just under 100k a few weeks ago, I know of one RS16i that sold for over 40k (only 1,670 miles on the clock), but that car sold for 17k just a few years previous.

When I started looking for a classic again I accepted that I was priced out of the market for the condition of Ford car I wanted, as I'd need to pay between 15k - 20k for it, and there's more pressing matters to spend that kind of money on. Sad to say after 36 years owning Fords, and letting the market catch me out my time of owning one is gone!!! :( :(

I had to start looking at what my options were, it wasn't a difficult decision as the only car I regretted never owning outside Fords was a Triumph Dolomite Sprint, I remember them 'back in the day' and they were nothing short of "WICKED"..... RS2000s couldn't shake a Sprint off, no way, on your bumper all the time and just as much fun on the corners.

The problem was when I seriously started looking the prices had risen..... Prior to this I had done my research and looked at old adverts from the past 12 - 18 months so I reckoned I could get a mint one with good history for about 5k, I had done my research after all, and looked at what they'd been selling for and I had seen plenty go for between 5k - 6k. However, the reality was very different last October, cars selling for 8k that needed work, the 'black cloud' was over my head as I hadn't budgeted for spending more than 7k and hoping to get a right corker for that money........ I almost bought a few as my patience ran out, but I held in there, and with the help of Tony Wood's I found exactly what I was looking for, but it took patience to keep turning cars down - the Sprint had risen in value and I couldn't understand why when their values were quite static it appeared for some time - but the Ford climb is without doubt the cause.

The reason I'm convinced of the above is that when I was priced out of the Ford market myself, I started looking for the next best thing, and that was the "Sprint".

The Sprint is climbing to its rightful value I think, I just wish it had delayed until I got mine........

TDC Membership No: 2017092

1980 (W) Triumph Dolomite Sprint, Auto, White, 52k miles - ownership by 2 family members since new.

Reg No: RNK 957W

Supplied by Jimmy Metcalfe at Lavender Hill Motors Ltd, Enfield on 30th September 1980

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:20 pm 
TDC Member

I'm not sure sprints have risen that much. I've been tracking them for the last 12 months or so. Naturally they raised in the summer and suppressed in the winter. From September to December, I saw a couple of MOT'd sprints sell on eBay for under £5.5k. Likewise, 1300 Dolomites have been going for under 2k too.

What is listed pricewise on classic cars for sale and the like are often vastly inflated and hopeful pricing. You just have to see how long those adverts hang around to see that. You also don't see their final sale price either. eBay sold listings are a pretty good indicator of pricing what the market is really dictating.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 pm 
TDC Member

A bloke came in my garage today asking about the sprint, ended up him offering me 10k, I politely told him that I don't want to sell it ,
not a bad offer makes all the effort seem worth it martin.