The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Early Rear View Mirror
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:03 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Either complete,or just the socket please.WHY?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:21 am 
TDC Member

What's the difference between early and late?

I think I have an all black unit with the dipping tab. Maybe two. Are they early or late?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:20 pm 

The early one has a ball joint at the top.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:43 pm 
TDC Member

I will check my spares box in the morning and come back to you.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:03 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

They all have a ball joint at the top...least ways all the ones I’ve seen have. It was a safety device, the ball is fitted into a pre stressed socket so that in an accident if the mirror is hit by a person it will detach from the roof.

It is impossible to reattach the stalk to the socket off the car without the socket splitting in two, and it is extremely difficult to reattach the stalk with the socket screwed to the roof without damaging the paint on the stalk - a hammer is required!

If your stalk has become detached from the socket, I recommend sourcing a complete assembly.

Some mirrors have a shorter stalk than others, reducing the rear view, but rather than being late or early, I suspect these have been sourced from another model of car...happy to be corrected on that though...

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 am 

Quote:
They all have a ball joint at the top...least ways all the ones I’ve seen have. It was a safety device, the ball is fitted into a pre stressed socket so that in an accident if the mirror is hit by a person it will detach from the roof.

It is impossible to reattach the stalk to the socket off the car without the socket splitting in two, and it is extremely difficult to reattach the stalk with the socket screwed to the roof without damaging the paint on the stalk - a hammer is required!

If your stalk has become detached from the socket, I recommend sourcing a complete assembly.

Some mirrors have a shorter stalk than others, reducing the rear view, but rather than being late or early, I suspect these have been sourced from another model of car...happy to be corrected on that though...
I have a later car,& the mirror is stuck to the windscreen,& there are no holes in the roof lining,so I assumed there are 2 types.