The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:21 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:32 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Hi All

I have a Toledo in Wellington New Zealand - or will have shortly.

Does anyone have lowered (as in 1" or so - nothing too radical) uprated springs and the applicable shock aborbers.

Im also after a dished 14" steering wheel and the associated m34 boss to go with it or a dolly sprint steering wheel or similar

Also would be interested in an uprated exhaust manifold for a 1500 engine.

And if you have a spare 4 cylinder rev counter from a spitfire or a dolomite...

thats the list for now.....will probably add more once I have the car.

cheers

Alastair

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:16 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Hi Alastair,

You’ve just missed springs and shocks of various descriptions amongst Jon Tilson’s things.

For updated manifold, see the Club product.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=31852

I have Rev counter and Dolomite steering wheel I can send to NZ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:39 am 

Excellent that sounds great, what kind of money did you have in mind fir both?

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:57 am 

Hi All

Have managed to track down a few of the parts locally however I'm still after uprated/ slightly lowered springs and shock absorbers with the height adjustable platforms

cheers

Alastair

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:33 am 
TDC Member

Take care when buying springs. Sprint springs give a high ride height with a toledo engine (tried it!) so you will want something that is substantially lower I would think. On y car I have 175lb -1" front springs on std NOS sprint shocks. And with a TR7 engine it is still a tad high, but I will live with it.

I do have a set of springs, fronts are about 220LB (from me standing on them, and taking measurements!) and 10 3/4" free length. They are blue with red and yellow paint marks, so that may help identify them?
Rears are 175lb, 9 1/2 free length.

I trust you know toledos have smaller ID front springs as std, but if you swap shocks/top plate at the same time they are interchangeable.

Another plan may be to find some springs locally. Not specifically Triumph, but 2 1/2" ID is for the rears (all models), and indeed toledo fronts (but check they are that size!)

Basically it is a minefield, especially with a OHV as few people seem to modify them. And those that do usually involve engine swaps which alters things.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:55 pm 

Hi Clive

Thanks for that I had just tracked down some springs and shocks on face book from a toledo so I may abandon that and just go with some springs/shocks from Rimmers so at least I know I am getting the right thing. Changing things if they're not right is a bit of a hassle from New Zealand.

I put some polish on the toledo last night in an effort to just tidy it up a bit - it really is surprising how good a condition it is in terms of the condition of the shell.

I had a look underneath and it is in good shape apart from surface rust. It still has seemingly untouched jacking points and the sills are as new. The speedo says it has done 41ks - maybe that its actual mileage?

So a few questions:

What do I start on first ? Any suggestions ? the motor and gearbox aren't in the car so thinking I might repaint and rebush the front suspension and sub frame first and then perhaps tidy up the under bonnet area. So much that needs doing .....

The underside: Im thinking I will wire brush it with a drill/angle grinder (that will be a fun job) and then neutralize the rust with something (any recommendations ?) and then underseal it with something suitable, Im told hammerite do a product for undersealing?

I cant find any one out here that would replate the various small brackets in the suspension. Is there an alternative to doing this? Is there some kind of paint that will work instead - some sort of galvanizing paint or similar. And rather than getting the suspension components blasted I might just use the wire brush in a drill and paint them myself. I did this with the stag and it seemed to work quite well - or well enough for my purposes

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:15 pm 
TDC Member

I am not sure that rimmers will have listings that are toledo specific?
Do you want firmer springs? or lowered? or both?
If you do buy rimmer springs, or indeed from anywhere, you will need the corresponding top plates.
I can thoroughly recommend the 175lb springs all round. I think those with height adjustable shocks may be the best thing, but not at all cheap.

I found th erear of the car very bouncy and saggy. New std toledo springs didn't help. 1500 springs did, they are the same rate but 1" longer free length. But swapping to 175lb springs at the back, along with spax adjustables (they are height adjustable, but are so seized I gave up trying to move them. Rebound adjustment I freed off, but set pretty soft) However, the use of some spacers to alter the bottom of the spring height and it sits nicely now. At the front I think mine is still a tad high, but that could be down to being old sprint shocks, where the spring pan may be set higher according to some literature I have.
Happy to take some measurements if required. I may even be able to do a picture or two. Undergoing RBRR prep and I keep fiddling with things, but think I am going into spares and tools packing tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:46 pm 

Quote:
I am not sure that rimmers will have listings that are toledo specific?

Yes they have two options for u[rated springs for the Toledo - different shocks

Do you want firmer springs? or lowered? or both?

yes looking for both but slightly lowered ride height is more important - it may get a front anti roll bar at some stage which will help

If you do buy rimmer springs, or indeed from anywhere, you will need the corresponding top plates.

Ill check to see if they supply the top plates as well with the shock and springs

I can thoroughly recommend the 175lb springs all round. I think those with height adjustable shocks may be the best thing, but not at all cheap.

Sounds like the way to go - will have to check with Rimmers if that is the rate of their lowered and uprated springs

I found th erear of the car very bouncy and saggy. New std toledo springs didn't help. 1500 springs did, they are the same rate but 1" longer free length. But swapping to 175lb springs at the back, along with spax adjustables (they are height adjustable, but are so seized I gave up trying to move them. Rebound adjustment I freed off, but set pretty soft) However, the use of some spacers to alter the bottom of the spring height and it sits nicely now. At the front I think mine is still a tad high, but that could be down to being old sprint shocks, where the spring pan may be set higher according to some literature I have.
Happy to take some measurements if required. I may even be able to do a picture or two. Undergoing RBRR prep and I keep fiddling with things, but think I am going into spares and tools packing tomorrow.
Great info thanks - any info (measurements and photos) you can supply would be great as I'm starting from pretty blank slate really !

thanks

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:25 pm 

actually I just checked Rimmers web site and there is a separate listing for Toledo 1500 springs and they appear to be 'standard' - not uprated or lowered - so not sure where I am going to get uprated springs from now.

I assume these springs can be used with a variety of shock absorbers

So may be the answer is to use these standard springs with height adjustable shock absorbers? Would that work? In only want to lower the car a few centimetres - nothing radical !

2001 BMW 530i

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:26 pm 

Hi All

I sent an email to Rimmers concerning whether the uprates springs for Dolomites can be used on Toledos.

Thanks for the email, the uprated Dolomite springs are 175lbs, lowered 1”, don’t believe these can be used on the Toledo though, sorry. regards Steve

he didnt say if the toledo springs that they sell can be used with adjustable ride height shockabsorbers which may be a way of lowering the ride height a bit

cheers

Alastair

2001 BMW 530i