The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 10:51 am 
TDC Events Officer

Attachment:
IMG_0137.JPG
IMG_0137.JPG [ 203.2 KiB | Viewed 1249 times ]
Well, I did say it was scruffy. :mrgreen:

1977 1850 HL in what most people think is probably Flamenco, also there's a few bits of pimento here and there, and a fair bit of primer. The picture above is a fair representation - the other side isn't any better. It's been sat in a yard for the last 4 or 5 years as I basically forgot to do anything with it.

While I've owned it it's had a bit of work done - two (I think; it's been a while) sills, the bit of the A-pillars under the windscreen that always goes grotty, and the panel behind the headlights were all welded up. It's also had new rear shocks, track rod ends, brake flexis (braided) and the 2p mod on the carbs to remove the waxstat cap.

It's still a shed though. The driver's door is essentially scrap (holes all over the place), there's some corrosion on the D-pillars where the vinyl used to be, and the back of the rear wheel arches are not good:
Attachment:
IMG_0138.JPG
IMG_0138.JPG [ 114.13 KiB | Viewed 1249 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_0141.JPG
IMG_0141.JPG [ 88.56 KiB | Viewed 1249 times ]
As you can see, they're mostly cobweb.

The interior is mostly complete, but filthy. The headlining is torn in the usual place on the D-pillar (someone probably tried to move some bamboo canes in the back) and the part of the dash where the choke is has cracked (a replacement comes with the car). Driver's side rear door won't open.

Mechanically speaking, it ran when it was parked. It doesn't run any more. I was trying to get it going yesterday without much luck. We've blown through the fuel lines, but there seems to be an ignition fault - I've ordered new points, plugs, condensor, coil, and rotor arm and those will all be fitted to the car.

The clutch slave is stuck in the extended position (I'll try to fix that too) and I haven't looked at the brakes but I assume they'll be a bit stuck too (again, I'll try to do something with that). It also needs 4 tyres as the ones on there are cracked to buggery.

I changed the gearbox and the one that's in there is definitely good, and the engine was a reasonable performer before I parked it up.

The car is currently located in Dunkeswell in Devon, EX14, and at the moment will need trailering, although if I can get the car to a driveable condition in the next week or two I'll be moving it to Bath. In the extremely unlikely circumstance that I get an MOT onto it I guess I might want to move this into the "for sale" section, so for the moment this remains a (dubious) bargain. :wink:

Any questions, please PM me. I have a few more pictures I can share and if there's any other bits you'd want a picture of please let me know.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 8:53 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Ah, so much optimism.

It's catastrophically broken. :(

The starter's knackered, the clutch hydraulics are ruined and the master cylinder is seized to the bulkhead so hard that a three foot crowbar wouldn't shift it, all four tyres are scrap, there was a small electrical fire today due to a random switch that had been butchered into the loom somewhere, and since I've not been able to start it I have a feeling most of the rest of the car won't work either. To add insult to injury I also found a fist sized rust hole in the floor.

Realistically the only thing I can do with it is remove all of the worthwhile bits and then scrap what's left over. I will be going to pick over the carcass on the 21st, if anyone wants the whole car please let me know before then. If there are any parts you want off it that I'm not taking (and I need quite a lot!) please let me know.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:39 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Going to pick over the carcass on Saturday instead, so it's still complete. This is the last call though, it'll be garden furniture before long. :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:06 pm 
TDC Member

The plastic/ Chrome strip on the doors and wings, what would you want for them?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm 
TDC Member

Looking for a few parts. Is there anything left of this? :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:29 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Do you have the engine? I am looking for an 1850 engine

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:56 am 
TDC Events Officer

Sorry guys, it's gone to the scrapyard a few weeks back.