The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Zebrazone windscreen
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 1:22 pm 
TDC Events Officer

I have one which I don't want. I can bring it to TDCIR tomorrow if anyone wants?

Post subject: Re: Zebrazone windscreen
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Sorry to sound dumb but what's a zebrazone windscreen? Is it a tinted one, green hopefully! I may be interested if it is.

Lee

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:58 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
Sorry to sound dumb but what's a zebrazone windscreen? Is it a tinted one, green hopefully! I may be interested if it is.

Lee
It's not what you want. ;)

The very earliest cars didn't have a laminated windscreen, but a "zone toughened" one. It's more fragile than laminated glass, and doesn't shatter in a particularly friendly fashion.

They aren't available new, and you would only really want one if you had a very original early car that you wanted to keep very original.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:23 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

I have to correct you there Dave, toughened glass is approximately ten times stronger than laminated. I had two 'screens stored on the roof of a car when we had high winds a couple of years ago; they were both blown off landing on a concrete apron. The toughened survived without damage whereas the laminated one was destroyed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:49 pm 
TDC Member

Toughened glass shatters into tiny little pieces, and is extremely resistant to being hit.

Not so good when scratched, I knew someone who bought a glass dining table with a small scratch on it, it exploded/shattered in the night for no reason after a couple of months. I had to recreate this in the shop to see for myself, I slowly drilled a glass tv stand, the result was like a shock wave effect from a scifi film. The glass made it to all corners of the shop premises.

As far as I remember the Zebrazone windscreen was toughened on the passenger side and laminated on the drivers side, to ensure visibility in case of a break while driving.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:21 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

The toughening process, also known as annealing or heat sinking creates a surface tension on the glass, glass actually being an extremely viscous liquid. It is when that surface tension is compromised that the glass shatters into very small fragments. The benefits of a toughened 'screen is they do not suffer chips or cracks, but if a stone flicked up by traffic has sufficient force, it can shatter. A stone that would destroy a laminated 'screen will usually bounce off a toughened one.

Zebrazone was the trade mark of a process of toughening which saw a section in the centre of the 'screen specially treated so as to retain its form and therefore vision in the event of a shatter and this was characterised by subtle vertical stripes being visible in that area when viewed from certain oblique angles; hence 'zebra' zone.

Having been driving a car with a toughened 'screen when it did shatter (urchins throwing stones from the side of the road), I'm ambivalent regarding the use of either. The benefit of a laminated 'screen is you can continue your journey after a breakage which is harder to do with a broken toughened version unless you wear glasses - as you are left literally with no wind screen!

Last edited by xvivalve on Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:49 pm 
TDC Member

I had a toughened screen shatter during the winter while at 70mph+ in the outside lane of the M3 many years ago. At that speed, the shattered screen flew into the car..I just managed to shield my eyes in time with my arm..I still have the scars from the pieces of glass that entered my forearm! :shock:
The rest of the drive home was bloody and freezing with no screen...brrrr! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:05 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Plenty of Zebrazone information there (and thanks for the correction regarding strength Alun), but the windscreen was taken off my hands at TDCIR.