The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:08 pm 
TDC Member

PYD passed through the paint bay this week so I bobbed down to Keswick to see the result. Still needs some flatting but the result having retained the origional wing & rear door is pleasing. Here's the pics -

Parking misjusdgements in the nose repaired -

The paint match is spot on -

The crash damage repairs retaining old panels are seamless -

Although I had big reservations about taking it on I'm enjoying this car -

PYD now needs to come home; I need to install the rebuilt engine complete with unleaded conversion :) . Before the engine goes in I'm also planning to drop out the subrame & axle, power coat the suspension & re bush the whole lot.
Anyone fancy a mint, tin worm free 1300?

Now the grotty news; my firm has seconded me to Turkey until the end of the year :snivel: I'm planning to have PYD delivered back home when 969 goes for paint. But my planned hours in the garage are going to be seriously curtailed by hours argueing with Turkish builders on construction sites in Bodrum..... in 40 degree heat.

BLOODY RECESSION!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:13 pm 
Wow Mike that is tremendous work - a real treat to the eyes. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:29 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Yes that is going to be stunning, without a doubt. Looking forward to seeing the completed car.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:13 pm 

WOW!!!

2 words - Simply Stunning.

I'm so pleased that this has been saved in its original form too.

I can't wait to see the completed car.

Graeme

1976 Triumph Dolomite 1500HL - under 24,000 miles, original and unrestored.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:09 pm 
TDC Member

Thankyou for the astounding level of encouragement on this car. It's bottom of the line and ..... er, brown. So it's nice to see that there is some support for it's preservation in origional form.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:35 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Nothing wrong with Brown Mike! Shame about the trip to Turkey, I suppose normally this would be a great opportunity for most people but not when you have cars to attend to. Still maybe you will find some far flung Dolomite's there?

1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
1993 Mazda Eunos Roadster JDM S-Special Type II
2015 BMW 118d Sport

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:16 am 

Again, nothing wrong with brown, it looks a bit like a newly made chocolate bar comming off the production line :lol: great that its been saved Mike !!!

2004 MG ZT
TDC member !

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:57 pm 
TDC Member

so here's PYD in my drive waiting for me to make a start on putting it back together -

Sad thing is that I have to go to Turkey for at least 5 weeks so it's going to have wait.

It's also in danger of clashing with 969 for garage space so may have to wait a while. Looks really good though. Lovely job on the paint.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:19 am 

When you see the shine on the paint you wonder why Brown went out of fashion! Looks great

2015 BMW 118d Sport

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:25 pm 
TDC Member

Photos actually don´t do it justice Mark. Will be great when it´s back together. Have tried to persaude the Wife to sell her BMW Mini and use it but for some reason she doesn´t want to.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 6:58 pm 

Yum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:47 pm 

Quote:
Quote:
I know it's been said before but gobsmacking that while Leyland were still putting this cast iron OHV into their cars & it was burning out rings in 40,000 miles Ford were developing & fitting the CVH.
The CVH? Now that is an oil burner :evil: . Oh and the timing belts break regularly too.
You should always carry a spare rotor arm as these fail completely without any warning.
Timing belts probably fail owing to the waterpumps chucking coolant all over them...

dont forget the stem seals that regularly failed too :evil:

To be acquired - 1975 Triumph 1500 TC rwd

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:56 pm 

CVH auto chokes help wear your engine in 50k! My wife had an Orion with a 1.4 cvh and it gummed up with slime and burned oil before the engine expired a month or so after it went over 52k. Hateful engine give me a Triumph OHV or event a Ford OHV engine any day.

2015 BMW 118d Sport

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 5:55 pm 
TDC Member

I'm having a short break from the stress of pounding around building sites in Turkey (I have to go back on the 14th). Anyhow looking for some R&R I had a go at PYD this week. I decided that while the engine was out I should have a look at doing what I won't be able to do when the engine is back in.
So had a look at the state of the front underside -

It's not dreadfull but I decided that it wouldn't hurt to scrape back all of that surface rust and prime and paint it. So off came the subframe -

I have a bag load of spare bushes etc so I thought that I'd spruce up the suspension. Stripped the sub frame and dropped it and all of the other bits to the powder coaters that I use. Also took the steels to be recoated in silver.

When I started to clean back the rust it wasn't long before the "law of sod" attended and what looked like solid arches presented those tell tale little holes. You will see that a hole has also appeared in the nose of the sill. -

Every where else is very solid, pretty much perfect -

The lamp panel had some metal moth but this was repaired together with the accident damage. You may be able to make out the plating on the back -

Anyway, I didn't have time to take that welding course yet or buy a mig welder so the plan is to paint the good bits, get the car back together & then it can pay another visit to the MIG.

Going to visit 969 on Thursday so another update iminent.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:33 pm 
:thumbsup: Thanks for the update. I'm Lovin' it (to coin a phrase).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 57 Next