The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I reckon the loss of oil is down to glazed bores. When I bought The Blue Flame from Martin B a few years ago it was very low mileage and had only covered 1800 miles in ten years. From what Martin told me it would appear that the car had basically covered those 1800 miles on the choke. I've never seen more polished bores in my life. It used to use a litre of oil a week easily. I took the head off, gave it a good honing, new rings and ends and it never used a drop of oil after that.

The failure of your number 4 bearing is nothing more than oil starvation, caused by all the oil getting burned off. If you think of how the OHV oil supply system is laid-out then number 4 big end is furthest away from the pump as the feed to the rear main bearing - and thus the 4th big end - has its feed reduced by the take-off for the rocker oil supply.

If you had made the journey at night you would have seen the trail of oilsmoke in the headlights of the car behind.

Alfa Romeo 147 1.9 JTD 150 Ti Lusso , no longer smoking.
Various other transient runners for selling.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:31 pm 
TDC Member

You are absolutely right Jod. Had I been clever enough to check the oil now and then rather than attempting 400 miles straight I would have saved myself some money. But as you say it was still burning oil and needed fixing.
Other than the No. 4 big end the engine is standard and has no visible wear so I'm sure that the 40,000+ on the clock is genuine. Bores were well glazed as you describe.
Engine is now already to go back together but I'm holding off until the rest of the car is finished.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:13 pm 

I have to say Mike, that is a lovely looking 1300.

Its great to see someone lavishing such care on the 'lowly' 1300. Love it.

I have yet to build an engine with brown rocker and timing covers....... maybe one day .....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:19 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

Quote:
I reckon the loss of oil is down to glazed bores. When I bought The Blue Flame from Martin B a few years ago it was very low mileage and had only covered 1800 miles in ten years. From what Martin told me it would appear that the car had basically covered those 1800 miles on the choke. I've never seen more polished bores in my life. It used to use a litre of oil a week easily. I took the head off, gave it a good honing, new rings and ends and it never used a drop of oil after that.

The failure of your number 4 bearing is nothing more than oil starvation, caused by all the oil getting burned off. If you think of how the OHV oil supply system is laid-out then number 4 big end is furthest away from the pump as the feed to the rear main bearing - and thus the 4th big end - has its feed reduced by the take-off for the rocker oil supply.

If you had made the journey at night you would have seen the trail of oilsmoke in the headlights of the car behind.
Is it wise to fit the rocker feed kit? I;ve toyed with the idea of fitting one to mine if and when they come up on sale again at Rimmers.

1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
1993 Mazda Eunos Roadster JDM S-Special Type II
2015 BMW 118d Sport

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:33 pm 

Very wise indeed - as long as you're not currently losing oil down the valve guides. If you're not smoking on the overrun then you should be ok. If you are buring oil down the valve guides the rocker oil feed kit will make the problem a lot worse as there will be a great deal more oil at the top of the engine.

When I'm making a high-performance engine that incorporates the oil feed kit I have been known to blank-off the oil feed from the rear cam journal.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:40 pm 
TDC Member

So back from Turkey for a couple of weeks & a little further forward. A re cap on the above; plan is to to de rust the front underside prior to re fitting the engine. All of the suspension has been stripped for power coating.
Having ground back the rust & treated it with a few coats of "Bilt Hamber" de ox gell I gave the bare metal a coat of "Bonda Primer" marine primer. This was cut back and then given a couple of coats of grey primer -

That was then cut back and all given three coats of "lovely Russett Brown" -

Having painted all of the "front undrside" I set about refitting the headlights etc -

The nose badge came out of the box to restore a little identity -

Headlamps, flashers & grills finished the front & that was me for another couple of weeks. When I get back from Turkey I'll pick up the subframe and suspension from the powder coaters & get it re built & refitted ready for the engine.

I visited my other charge 969 on Thursday. It's finally going into primer but I was lacking a camera. Next time.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

I think that I have had a little trouser accident...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:12 pm 
TDC Member

Glad that you like it, it´s turning out to be a great car.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:25 pm 

:bluewave: Re engine bay pics Did you not give 3 coats of brown to the underneth of the suppension turrets.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:10 pm 

That is looking very nice indeed, it so deserved a good home and it's clearly got one. Really looking forward to seeing the completed car.

Steve :D

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:15 pm 
TDC Member

Re TLC´s post. I want to get rid of the surface rust on the underside. The turrets are completely rust free and unlike the surface of the inner wings themselves were not origionally fully coated with paint. They just have a light blow over of paint. I want to try to keep the finish as origional as possible so decided to leave the insides of the turrets.
The engine bay had a little surface rust beneath the battery which I repaired and re painted. Other than that with a wash it will be as good as new.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:59 am 
TDC Member

Yesterday I had some free time at the back end of my two weeks home so I got on with putting PYD's front end back together. All of the suspension has now been blasted & powder coated. Here's the subframe -

Everything has been re bushed standard. I have a big bag of bushes that I picked up in a clearout so no need for extra cash outlay. Usefull that there's no difference whatsoever between a Sprint & a 1300, here's the anti - roll bar -

And fitted up -

Upper and lower arms were also re bushed -

So this is as far as I managed to get this weekend -

PYD is coming together well but being such a low milage car it's more of a buff up. I'm glad that I decided to leave it 1300 when I pulled it from the scrapper -

That' all for now, off to Turkey again today. Will finish this job in two weeks time.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:23 pm 

phwoar, that powder coating looks great Mike, and the shiny balljoints, great job. Jealous :)

stu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 4:44 pm 
WOW Factory fresh! 8)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 8:58 pm 
TDC Member

I havn't really managed to update this thread lately although the work on PYD moves on if slowly. Moving on from the last posts all of the front suspension is now back in.

Mr. Jod Clark visited this weekend and took away the component parts of PYD's engine. Working away in Turkey right now I just havn't had time to work on it. Jod and I have come to an agreement and he's going to build the engine for me. To be honest as much as I could do it I like the idea of having Jod build the engine.

In the meantime having finished painting under the front arches I have started to move my way to the back. I've cleaned the underside and de rusted any patches. There was a thread recently that discussed "underbody finish". I thought PYD was body colour underneath. It isn't, it has a grey electropheric primer.

There's no rot in this car, there are some patches of surface rust where the BL electropheric primer seems to have..... "washed off".

The next step will be to paint the treated surface rust patches with "Bonda Primer". Then I'm going to paint the more exposed parts of the underside with a smooth gun metel grey hammerite that matches the colour of the origional finish. I've worked back as far as the trailing arm mounts. When I've completed that far back I'm going to turn the car around in the garage & drop out the back axle to get at the rest of the underside.
While the back axle & suspension are off I'll finish it to the same standard as the front.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next