The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: 74 Toledo XMU (Tilly)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:40 pm 
Right....so starting this thread a wee bit into the project but better late than never....

So i brought XMU a carmine Tolly with 8,000miles from new....limited history but she seems genuine....

First thing was no clutch so a donor car whioch was stripped of many useful parts gave me a clutch master and slave cylinder, fitted and a quick bleed gave me a working but very odd clutch but it doesent need to be perfect yet.

anyway i got to work on her getting her to run smoothly with a nice new elec. ignition and a service (excl oil + filter), spent alot of time (and alot of t-cut) trying to get some sort of life from the very faded carmine paint, but no luck respray needed.

Next I wanted to get a nicer interior for her, i went for a creamy leather from another tolly, mine was perfect but i wasnt a fan of the colour (dont worry iv kept the old one to pop back in if origianality is important for prospective buyers in the future...)

I finally got round to a fresh oil and filter change old oil now over 14 years old but still she ran sweet as a nut. School boy error (must remember to take the old oil filter seal off before putting the new one on), with a workshop smothered in oil and mistake realised i replaced oil and moved on....

After a bit of a break iv been back onto her, stripping down for paint, removing bumpers and lights etc. (came off quite easy suprisingly) I actually like her without bumpers, as they may need replacing anyway. Are there any regulations for me driving round with no bumpers?

The spray will hopefully be happening in hte next month or so, will let you know how it goes with some pictures too

Jake

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:00 am 
Great news to see a Toledo making it's way into this section. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:24 am 
Nice to hear another Toledo is being returned to former glory. Blimey 8000 miles, must be one of lowest mileage examples anywhere?

Steve :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:33 pm 
Hi there Jake,
my toledo is now all legal and roadworthy, just needs a new set of carpets (saving up). Gave it a quick prep and spray over (carmine) but really need to redo it in the autumn when i will have more time on my hands and when ive got a proper spray gun. Will you be going to the TDCIR in september? If so we could convoy down together at toledo speed (about 50mph :lol: )
Adrian.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:31 pm 
Hi there adrian been a while since we last spoke,

Thats great! Glad shes all roadworthy for you. Unfortuantley mine wont be ready this year so will have to be next year before i can join in some events :(

But some pictures would be great and let me know how you get on with those carpets because as you know i am still considering changing mine....

Thanks
Jake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:43 pm 
Hi Jake, will get some pics uploaded sometime this week. Put new points etc in today and have ordered a new water pump as the old one is very rattly.Once the new carpets are in I will pop round so you can see what they are like, hopefully before the end of September.
Regards,
Adrian.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:03 pm 
Oah good, is she your daily runner? Mine will be my first car believe it or not (when i pass that is), and yes that would be great as im yet to see another tolly apart from my two and one i got my interior out of....what colour you thinking of getting?

My fan belt broke off last time i was running her (was frayed and tired for a while) but when i went to get one i didnt have my old one on me (or any measurements) :oops: so just had to walk straight back out of my local halfords and remember to take it with me next time....

Thanks
Jake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:23 pm 
Hi Jake, yes it will be used most days, doing roughly 35 miles, I have a couple of office cleaning jobs I do in the evenings as well as my own car valeting business during the day. Carpet colour will be black as per original also need a new gear lever gaiter as mine is knackered. Will pm you when it is ready for your viewing :)
Regards,
Adrian.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:59 pm 
Sorry Adrian for the delayed reply have been on holiday, sounds excellent look forward to seeing it. And i hope it keeps up the reliability its given you so far,

Cheers
Jake

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 pm 
Right...........update!

Finished stripping her today, she looks pretty cool. I wont be putting bumpers back on once shes sprayed (i dont think so anyway). I have some pictures of her progress.

Attachments:
File comment: and before ........
P1000840 2.jpg
P1000840 2.jpg [ 351.42 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
IMAG0034.jpg
IMAG0034.jpg [ 465.58 KiB | Viewed 1813 times ]
IMAG0033.jpg
IMAG0033.jpg [ 484.38 KiB | Viewed 1808 times ]