The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: My first Car - 1300 FWD
PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:47 am 
Hi there everybody

I thought I should let everybody know about my 1300FWD project, as my first car :)

I bought this car 3 years ago, for a measly 300 quid, with a good body, including all welding done :D , with 22960 mile on the clock :shock:

It was towed home, with absolutly nothing working except the handbrake. I have since been spending a lot of time getting it like it is know, almost ready for an MOT, as seen below

Heres some of the things i have done

- Rebuilt Front hubs, with new bearings
- Replaced lower ball joints
- Got the engine running (it wouldn't start when i got it, due to a seized carb, incorrect rocker clearances, and timing completely out)
- Rewired parts of the car, due to mistakes in the wiring (resulting in a lot of smoke and a few melted wires :oops: )
- Replaced clutch pipe
- Made replacement parts (bushes etc) for accelerator linkage from brass
- Resprayed front end (the rest of the car still needs doing)
- replaced dynamo with alternator, as i was too lazy to clean the control box
- I now have 100/80W halogen headlights :o

Feel free to ask questions :)

I dont suppose anybody has a spare windsceen around - mines scratched to the point of MOT failure :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:55 am 
TDC Member

Plenty around, it's the same windscreen as for all of the other cars (probably best to get a laminated one if you can though as they're a bit safer in an accident)

I love the paint job. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

i think i still have a spare windscreen. i will be at the tdc area reps house for your area on monday do you know him?

if not its not a massive drive down here...

£10.00

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:20 pm 
Another Basingstoke area member - welcome!

Looks like you've got a tidy little car there, although I'd have thought the paint job would attract unwanted attention...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:48 pm 
Love the two tone paint job :P ,

is that a white 1300 I see in the background??

My toledo will also be my first car :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:03 pm 
I'm definetly interested in that windscreen, i take it you mean justyn? - if so, i've met him once, at the milestones meet last august

No, it's a 2000 Mk1 in the background - My dads Car - I can post a photo if you like

Loving all the comments about the two tone paint job, it will eventually be all navy blue when finished, and I'm taking the back doors off before tea, so I can rub them down etc ready to spray next weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:36 pm 

justyn an area rep..thank heavens no! :lol: :lol:

Carl is the north hampshire rep, justyn is back up for the south hants area (when tango charlie is not around) with some other bloke whose name escapes me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:09 pm 
Hello james, saw your dad driving this morning and gave him the thumbs up , I was driving a white van at the time.I live just up the road from you in Kempshott.Will you be able to make it to the TDCIR on the 6th of September? If so there are a few of us meeting at the Dummer golf club at 8.30 if you're interested.Re the MOT there's a garage near hook that do MOT'S for 35 quid and are sympathetic to older cars as the owner does a lot of resto and service work on them, they are called moonface service centre, on the B3349 between hook and mattingley.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 8:02 pm 
Hi James, im not guilty on being area rep just the unofficial south area workshop/ storage guru, Chris Curtis is our south hants rep and as David says Carl is the north Hants guy, I do have plenty of original fwd screen though, laminated, non laminated etc etc but im sure david will sort you out okay.
Are you making an appearance at HPOm or TDCIR?
Good to see the progress made on you car, keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:13 pm 
My parents wondered who the hell flashed at them :D

I'll have to come and pick up that windscreen then, i'm not sure when though. Where abouts are you?

And yes, i'll try to come to TDCIR, not sure how I'll get to Dummer though (shout dad methinks :) ) (my car wont have passed an MOT by then, and even in the unlikey event that it does, i wont be able to drive it (cept with L plates)

For the MOT, Dad recommended Bob Douglass, the old guy who ran it several years ago was very good, then he left, but now he's back, and it's just up the road (on the old premises)

And if anyone local has a 3/8 inch spanner, could I borrow it please :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:10 pm 
Ask around as a local member may be able to pick you up for TDCIR
David is in Emsworth, I am in fair Oak for the screens, probably best to PM david re collection.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:03 am 

If you come down the m3 justyn will be nearer.

Either of us possess said spanner.

I'll still be in basingstoke tomorrow....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:26 am 
Triumphs make great first cars mate. I love the simplicity! none of those stupid plastic covers and such.

Hope you enjoy your time with the club! Now off to Port Adelaide to pick up my new boot floor! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:41 am 

I wish I had your car... :lol:

I am wanting a 1300fwd/Toledo/Dolly for a 1st car, although got a bit more 'learning to drive' to do before I can get one! :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 pm 
Yep, its a bit different to all the other cars my fellow apprentices are driving :D They all want rides at some point :lol:
It's certainly better built than those ugly new things. I remember when washed cars a few years ago, for a bit of extra money. I found out the hard way not to lean on them - it leaves dents :oops:

It;s going to take a bit of getting used to, its quite different to my instructors car. So far, the furthest I've taken it was out of the drive :D

David, you have PM