The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:36 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:56 pm 
Cheers Phil. I was thinking more cobwebs and surface rust than grease :lol:

Had quite a result today. Went to see my mate with the steam engines and he mentioned tyhat the local farmer was breaking the blue Toledo stood in his field. I popped over to re-aquaint myself with the car and managed to liberate the entire interior (apart from the carpets, which were shot) for nowt. Just gotta go back on Monday for the strips behind the seatbelt upper mounts. Also got a spare headlight and sidelight lens. Sadly every single panel was rusty. I can start swapping the seats over once I have given them a wipe. There is a little bit of sun damage to thye vinyl on the back seat upright, but not much.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:09 pm 
I've been absent from these pages for a couple of months but its great to return and see a Toledo getting the treatment! Well done Ken!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:25 pm 
Cheers mate. I am really looking forward to sorting this Tolly out.

Sadly, I don't think I will be keeping her as she will probably be sold on when done. Not 100% sure though.

I really would like to have another landie and the sale of this little Tolly could well boost the coffers a bit.

However, I do have a real fondness for tollys...... damn, she may stay after all :roll: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:37 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Ken. How do you do it? You must have some sort of Toledo magnetism! :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:49 pm 
Quote:
Sadly, I don't think I will be keeping her as she will probably be sold on when done. Not 100% sure though. :lol:

are you ever sure of anything?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 10:36 pm 
Yes, err, no, err umm.

I am sure that I will be fitting the blue interior tomorrow though, ha!

Indecisively

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:38 pm 
This was spotted down a side street when I was dropping Ben off at school. Never spotted it before, would never have known about it if i hadn't happened to glance that way. I like it when that happens :lol:

Battling through rain of almost biblical proportions I took the old seats and trim out. The passenger side seat rails were loose, unfortunately upon closer inspection, it would seem that some numpty has used normal nuts and bolts to secure the rear part of the front seat. I couldn't get to them as the car is parked close to a low wall. I undid the nuts holding the seat onto the rail instead. I ran out of time and will have to replace the passenger door cards on Tuesday. The only thing is that the rear seat upright is sun damaged. Never seen that on vinyl before and is very friable and actually split slightly when I fitted it, as is the parcel shelf. I will probably cover it with a throw/blanket. Not that bothered.

The rest of the seats are really good, as are the door cards. The black vinyl card under the dash was covered with packing tape residue. It also had a dealers plaque from the local (now ex-Rover) garage in Enfield, so it is a real local car. This will now live in LD 'cos it looks nice :lol:

I will try and remove the knackered brake cylinder and the clutch master if I have time, if not it'll just have to wait. I think I will try hard to rescue the n/s wing.

The car will never win any shows but it should be a tidy enough thing when sorted.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm 
I popped over to the parts Tolly again this morning to collect the rest of the trim that I had missed the other day:

B pillar trims
Furflex trims
Couple of hub caps
Toledo nose badge
Some headlining material to repair the C pillar headlining which is VERY fragile and actually has ripped in a couple of places
An inner door opener to replace one that was a bit weak on Nellie

Shame the blue carpet was beyond saving :(

Glad I went this morning as the rain and wind here at the moment is very bad. Too bad to work outside on the cars :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:14 pm 
Going to do a bit more to Nellie on Friday if the weather holds out.

See you on Satturday Roy!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:44 pm 
think we should start are own blue tolly club lol :lol: ours as been called bluebell how original lol well the 1850 is called daisy after its last owner , nick i think tollys came in saphire blue same as ours ,french blue and ice blue, valencia ???not 100% on the last one , looks a good project there ken and handy getting those parts :D ken is yours french blue ?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:01 pm 
No, it's delft blue. I would have liked it to be Sapphire though.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:06 pm 
i thought it was darker than french blue very nice :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:04 pm 
Yes, it's...... rather blue isn't it.

Found some more rust on it today.The rear part of the n/s rear wheel arch will need a patch as well.

I guess it's still not too bad for a car that has been stood out in the open for a couple of years. I readiness for collection tomorrow I have left each wheel with just two wheel nuts loosely tightened. Should spin off quite quickly. Brake master cylinder has been removed as it was siezed solid anyhow. New one waiting in the wings.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:48 pm 
Well, she's gone to a temporary home for a few months.

Here are some pics of the event.

She rolled quite nicely and even turned over when prodded gently with a couple of jump leads. She looked much better for just having a set of decent wheels and tyres on. Gotta get a mounting rubber for the rear box ...... damn the expense.

Couple of bits underneath to sort out too.

Thoughts/comments?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:20 pm 
well, its resting in the countryside now.