The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:05 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Project Moggigon
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 pm 
Am feeling slightly rebel-like so I am going to start a new thread about the mystery mog in the resto section! Nothing to be posted here about it's origins please :wink:

Project Mog is a prelude to Project GT6, so have patience.

At the beginning......

Mog needed:

A damn good clean all over, especially inside.
Repairs to the rear o/s wing, the o/s door bottom and the lower section of the front o/s wing.
Repairs also needed to the n/s front wing and bootlid.
Superficial stonechips here and there.
Bootlid needed repair.
The paintwork was as flat as a very flat thing.
It had a missing rear light lens.

Underneath looked essentially solid but needed further investigation

It was a non-runner and had no battery.

No key.

Thus far:

A new batter, top up of fluids and a set of plugs that I had laying around , plus a new key meant that she ran. There was a small leak from the transfer hose. A new one is waiting to be fitted. A timing chain and water pump replacement will be done as a matter of course. The brakes work as do the clutch and gearbox. The lights work bar the rear one and the horn is silent. The drivers 1/4 light has been replaced.

New wiper blades required.

Bodywork: all the rustiness was cleaned up and rust killed on the drivers side. Minimal filler needed. Majority is in primer but the rear wing has some colour matched paint sprayed on. The large dent in the front n/s wing has been cleaned up, knocked out and some filler skimmed over. A little more work and it will be ready for paint.

A good second hand light cluster has been obtained but not yet fitted. The interior has been cleaned with good results. The carpet although original was missing several sections and will be replaced entirely. A 3 spoke 'banjo' type steering wheel was obtained and will replace the chunky original once a minor :lol: repair has been made.

Underneath: Hmm. There are a couple of very small patches needed in the drivers side floor pan. This is where the seat base tubing has worn the metal over the years. The inner sill on the drivers side will need a patch but is easy to get to and weld. The jacking tube mounting point is holed and will need repairs, but again it is easy to get to.

The n/s front chassis rail is corroded in 3 points. These have been taken down to bare metal, rust killed and prepped for repair. What looks like a front tie bar will need to be removed to allow proper access for welding.

I have made templates for all of the affected areas and will transfer this to steel over the next week.

That's all so far folks. Will get some piccies.

Post subject: Re: Project Moggigon
PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:09 am 
Good to see you are getting on with it. I cant remember if you got the log book?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:03 am 
pics would be great Ken, I like your style !

this'll be a good read. :)

stu

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:03 am 
Hi J, I did indeed get the log book.

Stu, cheers mate. I will try and pop over there today and take some piccies.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:13 pm 
Went over to the garage today and:

Wirebrushed and elecky filed some more of the underneath and rustkilled it all again. Let it dry and sprayed it with weld through primer. That will suffice now until it can be welded up.

Sanded down the little odds and sods of filler on the drivers side and will prime tomorrow. Will prep the body bits for paint if I have enough time. I wil also remove the non-functioning o/s rear light and replace with a known working used item.

Promise to try and take some piccies tomorrow :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:06 pm 
Primered the drivers side bits as hoped. All ready for the top coat :D

I then tackled the bootlid with the knotted wire brush attachment for the grinder. Thanks to Howard for showing how bloody good this thing is. It made short work of the cracked filler that was on the lower L/H side and the lower R/H side. From the sheer amount of filler that was on there, I was expecting mega-holes, but no, a couple of pinholes and some shallow dents only. All sanded with the lecky DA and rustkilled. Will fill later in the week. That took up my time so the rear light is still in place... for now.

So, just the bootlid and some finishing on the front N/S wing and the bonnet to do. Then top coat. The bonnet is solid, just a few dozen stone chips to sand down :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:29 pm 
Having thought about it more and have listened to the MMOC folk, I think it would be best to buy a new chassis leg section and fit it. They say that the 'plate it' option is never strong enough.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:57 am 
Quote:
Promise to try and take some piccies tomorrow
promises, promises

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:00 pm 
Had a go at the car on Sunday. Manged to:

Sort out the nonworking o/s rear light, just loose connections.
Get my mate down to look at the welding needed. He thinks it's a tidy car and the welding is doable.
Sprayed loads of Plusgas on the clutch and brake pedal pivot, as they have a habit of moving in tandem. Much improved now.

Need to: remove the torsion bar so that I can cut out the old chassis leg. Have asked some folk from the MMO for a bit of help with regards to this bit.

Started her up and she fired first time 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:14 pm 
Did someone mention pictures?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:12 pm 
No

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:26 pm 
A very nice chap from the North London chapter of the MMOC popped over yesterday afternoon and whipped off the torsion bar with minimal help from me. Nice bunch of folk the MMOC.

Removal was not as bad as I thought or as bad as it looked in the manual.

Now much grinding can occur, but not this weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:11 pm 
Started to tackle the grinding today. Planned to start cutting off the chassis rail but couldn't find a big enough spanner to take off the knotted wire wheel from the grinder and the nut from the eye bolt :roll: Couldn't be arsed locking up and going back home. Much grinding of the holes in the floor and prepping of the crossmember.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:36 pm 
Did someone mention piccys again?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:56 pm 
No