The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: My 1500hl project
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:20 pm 
No, sorry mate, I'm keeping them as a second set.
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:35 pm 
Ok no problem mate. Tht car looks amazing. I'm putting a single 40 webber on mine soon on A triumphtune manifold.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:08 pm 
Thanks mate, yours is a tuned 1300 isn't it, webers make a great sound.

Just trying to get mine to run properly now, and sort the exhaust out. Just built one that exits out under the drivers side sill but is too loud really and hangs quite low so ive gotta rethink that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:14 pm 
Any progress with this? One of my favourite builds on here. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:51 pm 
:bluewave: :D :D Thanks modded toledo, nice to hear.

Since passing the mot back in last september it hasnt been plain sailing.

I mentioned last september that the car seemed down on power, that was an understatement, it was gutless! Which, given the money, time and effort I put into the engine left me feeling pretty dissapointed so after a bit of fiddling with carbs etc I decided to garage it for the winter. In some ways that was a good thing because it gave me chance to make some progress on the mini im restoring for my younger sister, ( currently got her insured on my civic type r and it isnt good when she bumps into curbs etc :( ) so im eager to get the mini finished for her.

My thoughts on the engine in my dolomite are that the cam timing is out and the carbs need rebuilding or at least setting up on a rolling road again. Initially I didnt have a vernier pulley fitted, so my first attempt to set the cam timing was very accurate :oops: Ive since fitted a vernier pulley and dialed the cam in properly with a dial guage. This made a marked improvement, but still not as good as i'd expect. The camshaft fitted came with the engine and is stamped on the end as a t285, which I have looked into and believe is a piper t285 camshaft, so I dialed the cam to 106ATDC, following the piper cams website.
I've now come to the conclusion that I could be going round in circles for ages with this, so when I get the mini finished (aiming for mid june) and get back onto dolomite, ill be buying a new fast road camshaft and dialing it in and rebuilding the standard carbs with bigger jets to get it running properly, then get the webers rebuilt and set up on the rolling road again. Still plenty to do :D .
On top of that, the diff has started leaking oil and I still think the front springs are too long :lol: ,
Found some pics

Couple of the mini

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:19 pm 
Doesnt time fly!! Im back on the dolomite now :) Rebuilt the webers at the weekend and got it running again, fired straight up after being stood a couple of months. Next job is to sort exhaust out.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:12 pm 
Any updates or changes with this? A really inspiring car that sits so well and, to be honest, makes me question whether I am following the right plan with mine.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:06 am 
Doesn't time fly! I've been living overseas for the past year or so, and my dolomite has just sat in the garage. It doesn't look like I'll be driving it any time soon so I think it'll be up for sale in the next couple of weeks. :(