The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Re: My 1500hl project
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 6:16 pm 
Ok, engine is now built up again, had a few setbacks getting bits for it so it took far longer than expected.

The oil pump, sump pan and water pump are now fiited also.

I now need to order some more bits for it so I can hopefully fit the engine in the next 2 or 3 weeks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:26 pm 
TDC Member

Reminds me of my first Dolomite 1500HL in 1993! Loved tinkering and messing around with it. I fitted electronic ignition to it by swapping the internals over from a 1300 Maestro. Cost about £10 from a scrapyard. Still works too! It also ran a single 1 3/4" HIF SU carb. Just as quick as twin SUs but with a sewing machine idle :eyes4u:

You'll have fun getting that exhaust in. I take it that's off a Spitfire? It'll need a lot of modifying to fit your car.

1981 1500 HL man/od
1972 Series 3 Land Rover diesel
2007 MX5 Sport
2010 Citroen C1
1993 Gas Gas GT32

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:54 pm 
It is off a spitfire yeah. Was fairly cheap off eBay so I'll see how much it requires altering to make fit. If it's an awful lot of work, I'll have a new one made up instead.

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 9:56 pm 
Big step forward today, new engine is in and running :jump4joy:

Managed to get the old engine and gearbox out and new ones in and running in about 6 hours with the help of my dad, would have struggled without him.

Fitted a solid steering rack mount and a poly one whil the engine was out and access easy.

I've re used the existing exhaust for now, the spitfire one I bought is nowhere near fitting and im itching to get the car back on the road now i've heard it run, so will probably keep the standard manifold and build a better flowing exhaust to connect to it.

Afraid i didnt get much chance to take many pictures.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:55 am 
Shame about the Spitty exhaust, but at least she's a runner. Always a huge psychological boost I think.

Keep at it :D

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:19 pm 
Got these in the post today :D
Hopefully fit them at the weekend, along with new clips of course.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:48 am 
Wow!! they look nice. Where did you get them?
Are they available in different colours?
Dying to know how the engine runs too.
Any chance of a pic with the hoses fitted.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:54 pm 
Thanks, they came from a company called classic silicone hoses, I'm very impressed with the quality of the hoses and they were a pleasure to deal with. They do a few other colours too.
I will put some pictures up of them fitted, got to do a bit of cleaning under the bonnet first though. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:27 pm 
Drove the car out of the garage yesterday, first time its moved for a year :D

I've still got a few issues to sort out with the engine, the main one is an oil leak which appears to be coming from the sump gasket but that should be an easy fix, theres an oil cooler to fit and some wiring that needs tidying up.

Still undecided about the exhaust, does anyone know where i can get a tubular manifold from?

Hoses are fitted now.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:18 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Sorry...On a dolomite the only one that I know works is the one it came with...

Just make sure the flanges are flat and you use good studs and brass nuts. Be prepared to change the gasket every 2 years.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:59 pm 
TDC Member

You could try Jigsaw racing, they prototyped a 1500 exhaust manifold a few years ago, from a SAH one I had kicking around, unfortunately, there wasn't much take up for them.

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 pm 
Thanks for the replies, i'll give jigsaw a call. If they don't have anything ill stick with the original manifold and connect a better flowing exhaust to it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm 
It's been a whle since i've updated this but some progress has been made, i've fitted the sierra vented brake setup now along with a mocal oil cooler and a few other bits and pieces,
i've had the repair panels welded in to the rear arches and painted them up. Few pictures:
I ended up having the braided hoses made up to connect the calipers to the hoses on the car as recommened by someone on here.

The standard exhaust is still on there at the moment, i've given up on the tubular manifold idea for now. Got a load of 2" stainless pipe and fittings from jetex to make an exhaust to connect to the original manifold. Waiting til after the mot to fit it tho as theres only going to be 1 silencer. :D

I'll let you know how the mot goes.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:59 pm 
Ok, it failed the mot last wednesday on the following:

- Rear numberplate lights not working (just a bad connection)
- Emissions, excess hydrocarbons.

I had a go at adjusting the weber carbs but got nowhere fast. So I put the original carbs back on for the retest which it passed on friday. :D

The issue now is that i've got an aldon dizzy fitted which doesn't have a vacuum advance as the webers don't use one, so the car is down on power. Although that is no bad thing as ive got to run it in now.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:16 pm 
Are the old wheels up for sale by any chance ?