The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:35 pm 
hi there,ive a dolomite sprint now for over four years and finally gettin around to do something with it,im wondering if anyone has mated the saab 2.3 block to the sprint gearbox,this is probably been posted before since its a fairly logical modification,...in theory anyway.cheers :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:44 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

Not as far as I know. The SAAB 2.3-litre unit may have Triumph roots but it doesn't even share any components. Even the 99 Turbo engine (B / H series) would not be easy. Also, the Swedish cars are front-wheel-drive and the engines, on the pre-GM cars, are mounted back-to-front, compared to the Triumph.

R

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:54 pm 
thanks for the speedy reply,i have the b type block,the h type and the 2.3,are they not the same casting as the sprint block,and therefore they should interchange,im more than likely wrong,but just thought id ask before i started dismanteling.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:04 pm 
Love to see some photos of your 72 Sprint 8) whats the vin number?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
its an irish car,limerick,by vin do you mean chassis number?ill look at it over the weekend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:25 pm 
:oops: quick signiture edit cos bifold has eagle eyes :shock:
:bluewave:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:31 pm 
Welcome to the forum, love to see some pics :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:37 pm 
Quote:
:oops: quick signiture edit cos bifold has eagle eyes :shock:
:bluewave:
I thought you might of had one of the two 1850 cars fitted with Sprint engines that were being evaluated back in 72,as far as I know nobody knows what happened to them? :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:42 pm 
wouldnt it be funny if i had one of em! it belonged to a main dealer back in the day as far as i know,ill post up the chassis number for the craic.can you shed any light on my query bifold?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:46 pm 
cheers andybrad,i havent any pics on my phone but ill post soon,it would be triumph only pics i presume.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:52 pm 
Quote:
wouldnt it be funny if i had one of em! it belonged to a main dealer back in the day as far as i know,ill post up the chassis number for the craic.can you shed any light on my query bifold?
I am not up on Saabs but a few chaps on here have very broad automotive knowledge and will be along soon :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:15 pm 
Quote:
Not as far as I know. The SAAB 2.3-litre unit may have Triumph roots but it doesn't even share any components. Even the 99 Turbo engine (B / H series) would not be easy.
That hasn't prevented people fitting such units as the Lotus slant four into Dolomites. Where there's a will, etc. :)
Quote:
Also, the Swedish cars are front-wheel-drive and the engines, on the pre-GM cars, are mounted back-to-front, compared to the Triumph.
I wish that the owner of what was my sister-in-law's 1500/Saab hybrid project would come along to give us a progress report, but that car, after she borrowed it and broke its 1500 engine, which left her no choice but to buy it from the bloke who'd only bought it as a means of saving her hire charges when she's in the UK :evil: , was in the process of being reborn as a FWD 1850. The slight fly in that ointment being that the Saab 99 that donated its drivetrain was actually a 1700 :roll: and not the later 1850 version. When that fella went to collect it, he reported that the engine and 'box were mounted with only a slight bulge required to clear the front (back? :lol: ) of the 1700 slant and the tunnel aperture being modified to allow access to the chaincase.
And that was the last we heard about it. Saab-Triumph Mongrel man, or whatever you joined up as, please give us updated info.

By comparison, surely a later Saab engine, originally installed East-West in 9000s etc. would be a breeze? OK, so a lot of "Blue sky" thinking would be needed, but in a World where people have fitted GM big-block V8s to Reliant kittens and built cars around Merlin engines, surely Saab into Triumph shouldn't be too taxing? :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:39 am 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Iirc, there's a Saab 9-3X or something that's 4wd... That'd be entertaining in a Dolly...

Nice choice in cars by the way. I do love Integrales.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:54 am 
cheers oli 88,yea integrale's are nice,but you never own one,it very much owns you.WHEN this engine goes in itl be an entertaining car,for sure:).my daily is a skyline r32 (didnt add to signiture cos some might get the wrong impression of me),rb20det is a gorgeous engine,ive seen a sprint with one in it when i searched the site,sweet work! :D

well said jpb,there are no rules or limits with cars. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Post subject: Hello and.......
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:21 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
hi there,ive a dolomite sprint now for over four years and finally gettin around to do something with it
Welcome to the forum.