The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1821 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:38 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

I had a couple of evenings off at the beginning of the week and yesterday restarted, it was nice to have a break.

Anyway cracked on with getting the o/s inner arch on it's way to being finished, had trouble getting the wire brush out of the grinder so couldn't flatten the welds until today. And also gave a spray of some bits with the red oxide.

Spent a few hours on the net last night buying some more bits, costs a fortune :oops:

Anyway some piccies

Lots more to do but getting there :)

All the best

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:23 pm 

Need to get Howard to give me some tips on using the camera on my phone not as good as my old HTC.

Anyway, hard hard day today, all the welding is now finished on the offside it has been bloody hard work. My wife stripped the rear end with the grinder and one of those wire brush adapters, worked a treat.

I then used some red oxide spray and done a few coats. Once that had dried I used the seam sealant and run down the 2 seals on the rear panel and once that had started to go off I gave it another coat. Looks good.

Also got my son to clean the steel wheels, with the drill and a wire brush. Once he had finished I gave them a few coats of grey primer, and the a few coats of some paint. they came up well.

A few nights ago I under coated the sill seam near the tread plate, I gave it another coat yesterday then this afternoon gave it a small amount of p38, once that had dried, I started to and it down.

Hopefully get that finished tomorrow and then give it another coat of Red Oxide and then a skim of seam seal just to make sure we can keep the water out.

Also done the patch on the seam on the o/s rear foot well. Found some more rot in the boot, and I have plated this.
Some pics:

Same again tomorrow.

8)

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:57 pm 

Well today was hard work, my wife likes the grinder and wire brush and likes finding holes :twisted: She done inside the boot which got rid of the shite black stuff someone had decided to brush in, in it's past.

I cracked on and made the panel for the front n/s cap, I thought this would be easier than the o/s but to my horror the car decided to try and beat me and the frustration got the better of me and I hit her a few times with the hammer until I came to my senses and she started to play ball, thats the car not the wife btw.

The panel took a lot longer than expected with be having to mess about a lot more than I thought I would have to.

Only 4 weeks to go, :oops:

pics:

All the best

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:55 pm 
Darren, please don't be offended but best I point this out now. The red primer that you've correctly identified as being the right colour for the brown topcoat shouldn't be used straight to bare steel, not unless you want it to be possible to wash the paint off with a budget pressure washer at a later date.

Upol acid #8 etch primer, available from good paint factors and Halfords in large arseol cans (other etch primers are available but it's the best in a rattle can) should be applied to bare metal and the red primer should then be applied on top of that.
Etch primer does as its name suggests to the steelwork and by doing that, gives subsequent coats a good key so that the paint won't be left behind in the first shower of rain you meet after the new paintwork's all on.

I wouldn't want to see your hard work rusting away on account of a simple omission at the painting stage. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:21 am 
...and sorry here too Darren :oops: .

But is there anyway you could look into getting your phone to take clearer pictures?

Not really for our sake but your own as this (fantastic) work of yours deserves to be better documented, after all you'll never revisit these areas for repair work so it would be worth recording them properly - maybe have a look at you settings mate?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:26 am 

:oops: thanks John, I didn't know, will sort it today, I'm off work until tomorrow

Darren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:31 am 

Hello Alan

Going to send Howard a message, you would think a phone that if you never got on contract would cost 500 quid would be better quality. Bloody iPhone.

All the best

Darren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:15 am 
TDC Member

Simply solution - don't use an iPhone :lol:

The iPhone has a great camera in pure daylight, but when it comes to low-light subjects it's just awful.

Most of my "nice" shots have been taken with a Canon EOS 40D, but when I've got mucky fingers I switch to an old Panasonic Lumix..

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:37 pm 

Thanks Howard

My wife's given me her old fuji will see how that goes.

Many thanks

Darren

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:20 pm 

Well the bloody fuji of my wife won't bloody download pics Grrrrrr.

So today's work after my birthday brekkie with the family and a walk on the pier etc, we went and bought some acid etch primer that John mentioned. It didn't take long to get the red oxide off from the rear end.

I then gave it a a good covering of etch primer and left it in the baking heat, it's been bloody hot 30 degrees.

While that was doing it's stuff, I went under the car and started wire brushing with the grinder, it's bloody bad stuff that black shite, it seems to pearl up. When I had had enough I gave the rear end 3 coats of red oxide. Then back under the car I went. and done some more.

When the last coat of red oxide had gone off I gave it a few coats of Cadbury's finest.

Taken with the Iphone about 30 mins ago. I turned on HDR whatever that means lol.

Now I must get a bath cause I'm covered in that black shite pearls :lol:

Any hint's tip's etc ALWAYS listened too

Many Thanks

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:18 pm 

Works progressing well, not long now 3 weeks and not counting :shock: . Things are going well, just about, struggling with the filler on the arches.

I have taken the doors off from the n/s which is nearly ready for some cadbury's to be sprayed on the top's of the sills. Some flattening tomorrow will see the sills and soffit ready to be painted up. Mable seems to be holding her own with the doors of, so my welding might just be up to the job.

The boot was stripped of the black stuff last weekend, so last night and today saw that a few coats of red oxide and some etch where there was bare metal, once the red oxide had dried for a few hours I then used the seam sealer to cover the welds and re-coat some of the seem's.

ALL THE WELDING IS NOW FINISHED!!!!! :jump4joy:

Pics:

This is really getting exciting now :D

All the best

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 pm 
:thumbsup:

It's well worth taking ages on the filler for the rear arches, they're one of the only really complex shapes on the whole shell but get those right and the whole car will look straighter somehow.
One more bit of advice if I may: Only use filler on bare steel, then apply your etch primer on top of that and the red primer next, give it several coats of the red, hand flat each with something around 400 grit until it's smooth then flat with 800, then spirit wipe, then apply the brown and by taking that extra bit of time (not massive in the context of the amazing transformation we've seen so far), the paint finish will be so much more durable in the long term and will withstand the worst that the weather, the roads and even the odd jet washer can throw at it.
I would say that I can't wait to see the finished article but would sooner wait as long as it takes to get the surface smooth. Red primer looks smooth from the can, but without the preparation, the top coat will show up every slight flaw in the primer beneath it so the way to approach it is gently and progressively and using your outstretched fingers to support the paper as that way, you'll feel the job getting smoother as you go. I reckon that even if you take twice as long on the surface prep now, you're still well and truly on target for the car's debut appearance.

Brilliant progress as ever and please don't take my comments as anything other than the constructive ones that I mean them to be. This car has shown you to be capable of learning a heck of a lot in a relatively short time so your next project is certain to be easier for you. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:02 pm 
Quote:

ALL THE WELDING IS NOW FINISHED!!!!! :jump4joy:
A milestone passed. 8)

On the home straight now Darren, hope the weather continues to hold out for you in the painting stage.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:06 pm 

Rain stopped play today, and i'm bloody shattered so had an afternoon of rest :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:10 pm 

Sorry it's been a while since updating, but sanding down takes so long that pics only come when I do something else because I'm bored of it. Or getting sore hands from the sanding.

The underneath is getting coated in some black stuff (not cheapo stuff) as it is so hard to get the black sticky stuff of completely, if I paint maple, it will look a total mess. And that won't do the car any justice.

In between jobs I'm struggling to get the Brake Caliper Cover thingies to stay on. Most of the engine is put back together now but no pics until that's finished.

Some pics

I have also got to say a BIG THANK YOU to my my wife who has been doing lots of painting for me, this has helped me to keep going.

All the best

Many Thanks

Darren

Last edited by DazasDolly on Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 311 posts ]  Go to page Previous 114 15 16 17 1821 Next