The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Project 'Flipper'.
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:17 pm 
The little Dolphin Grey FWD is now mine and will be with me shortly in North London.

After speaking to folk that I respect the opinions of, I will be parting the black/white FWD as it needs significantly more in the way of work and funds. Whereas the grey one is more or less ready to go with minimal effort.

Update to follow soon.

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Project Grey
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 12:52 pm 
See, that's the trouble with youngsters today - no dedication when things get hard.......

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 5:32 pm 
Good choice Ken. I was looking at the grey car and thinking that's far too good to use as a parts donor. I assume it'll regain a red interior?

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:07 pm 
I think it's the right choice, at least I will hardly need to buy any more spares for it or body panels.

I can still play around with it a little as well. Yes, it will have a Matador Red interior, although I will need to get some carpet sections :lol:

Immediate needs will be the inner wing repairs being tidied up. Interior changeover. Service and general once over.

I might do some driving lights a la Nathans MWK (in the front grille) then cosmetic tidying really. I think the black alloys would look ok on it too, eventually. I will also eventually fit the dash from the spares car as it is nicer. Just have to work out how to do it as I have never done one before. Strangely the sunvisors are really horrible. The foam inside has just collapsed. Luckily I have at least two pairs to spare. There is an aerial fitted, so hopefully there will be some wiring for paoer, etc. I have a central speaker already and a NOS period radio (not FM though).

If all goes well I will save my pennies and get a stainless exhaust and some new springs....... just not yet though.

This could work out to be a really nice car (I hope).

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 11:36 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Congratulations, Ken. The grey car does look good in the pictures, and certainly seems too good to be a donor car. Shame the white car won't see the road again, but it will give many parts so that others may live!
Good luck with the new restoration project.

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:03 am 
Youngster? Youngster? I wish :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Nick, If I had some space I'd keep hold of the white one in an instant for a future project, as a modded FWD really appeals. I wish I could utilise some of Jonners long-term storage, but transport costs would drain financial resources I just don't have. I could swing the monthly cost but the transporting would do me in :(

Ho hum.

Ken

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 9:57 pm 
Just grabbed some spare new breather hose, a set of lovely sun visors from another car that I had and a black vinyl panel for below the dash. These will all go on when I see the car next.

I will have to get some new red carpet sections, some of the stuff is just too threadbare to survive really. I'll keep the tan trim in until everything is obtained and sorted.

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:14 pm 
Quote:
I will have to get some new red carpet sections, some of the stuff is just too threadbare to survive really.
found a company which is stating new carpet sets for the 1300fwd, if you didn't want to buy a comlete set why not contact them and ask if thy would do you sections or.....ask if they would sell you some offcuts??

Triumph 1300fwd carpet set

There showing to sets in red.......

RR Red 80/20 Wool Latex £200.00
Antique Red 100% Polypropylene Latex £110.00

Nathan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:53 am 
Cheers Nath,

Probably the route to go when I get some cash together.

Ken :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:09 pm 
Ahh so thats the reason, I feel a bit sad for the white one as i was the second owner and spent many hour and £s putting her back where she belongs (and made lots of money selling it on but its not about the money honest),and the grey one I was also the owner of and spent even more hours and £s getting her back on the road after saving it from a scrap yard.

ken there is space down here to store the white one if you dont want to break it, I have the bits needed to get her going again if its not too late?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:23 am 
J, never too late mate. I've sent you a pm. Am happy if you want to store it for me or if you want to be the new (again) owner. Either would e acceptable as I don't really want to break her. Let me know asap 'cos the Grey One beckons asap.

Cheers

K

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:03 pm 

If it drives I can get it down to Dunkeswell...

Bit late Ken but I got the blue auto moving under its own power last time...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:11 pm 
A question. Grey has an ammeter in the dash. Grey has been converted from dynamo to alternator. Am I better off changing the ammeter to a voltmeter?

If so, how do I do it?

Ta

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:21 pm 
Quote:
A question. Grey has an ammeter in the dash. Grey has been converted from dynamo to alternator. Am I better off changing the ammeter to a voltmeter?

If so, how do I do it?

Ta

Ken
Unless the ammeter reads to >60 Amps either way, then yes, you're better to use a voltmeter, wire one side to an ignition-switched live, the other to ground at the bulb holder.

Reconnect the battery cable, preferably with a new piece that doesn't have a break for an ammeter, or at the very least, use a suitable junction box behind the dash if you don't replace the lead which, ideally, should be on the engine bay side of the bulkhead.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:14 pm 
I wouldn't bother Ken, you dont really need an ammeter or volt meter anyway