The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1719 Next
PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 10:37 pm 
Try using the memory card you dipstick! Doh!

Sorry they are a bit blurry, not my usual camera.

Not sure Glenn, need to get into the nooks and crannies with a wire drill attachment. I will carry on next weekend.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:25 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Not a lot wrong there Ken

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 10:55 am 

Wow Ken that is paint sripping par excellence...

So give us a low down ion the tools you use?

And get that bondaprimer on there quick...

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:02 pm 
Cheers jon, it is a combination of knotted wire wheel mounted on my grinder and also a poly disk, sort of a very hard scourer. Frost sell them. they rerckon one will entirely strip some sort of Yank car. So I bought two. I swear there was about 2 or 3mm of paint on LWT (well on the bits I have stripped).

The other sill, door shuts, rear arches, front valance, boot lid and possibly the lower rear valance might be done the same way. might!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:57 pm 
Gone as far as I can with the big boys toys. Now is the turn of the drill mounted wire stuff to get into the nooks and crannies.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:49 am 

Get some etch primer on that bare metal. Good to see that those seats I sold you (from when you owned the car previously) are still going strong. I'm sure you'll be giving them your brand of TLC before too long.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:11 pm 
There is a slight nick in the back of the drivers one but I shan't be losing any sleep over it. They will indeed look good when it is their turn for some TLC.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:05 pm 
Finally, all of the bits are now down to bare metal. I will be filling the small holes in the A pillar. I really do mean small.

The rest of the metal is super solid and lovely.

The N/S sill has a gouge and has been like that before I bought LWT the first time round. It could almost be seen as part of the car's character. Do I leave it or drift it out and sort it.

Stay or go. Answers on a thread please :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:34 pm 

Quote:
Glenn, looks like it's me, you and Dave keeping this thread going. The forum is a much quieter place, or so it seems.

Anyway, hoping to get piccies later today.
Come on Ken more piccies :rasp: looking good though :wink:

Darren

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:06 pm 
Right then, this is where it starts. For those on the forum who don't know the story I will recap and for those who do know me, forgive my Triumph 101 (thread was put onto another forum initially). I bought a Toledo via ebay about 6 or 7 years ago (maybe), does that sound right Glenn, or is it longer? The car hadn't run in a while and was owned by a young chap who was a teacher. I think I paid the vast sum of £79. After doing a little bit of work on the car, fitting the 1500FWD seats and so on. It was then that the car was sold to make way for a 1500FWD....

The car was sold to a chap called Martin (Raider) who in Sept 2007 proceeded to fill it with his mates and venture around the Alps. I recall he had exhaust woes on a number of occasions during the trip. It gets a bit blurry from then on. It was bought by Craig from the Dolly Club who I think converted the engine (sorry mate, can't recall exactly when or why). Fast forward a few years and the car was bought by Glenn. He did lots of work on the car, including sourcing and fitting a low mileage TR7 engine and box. However, the lure of an MG and hydragas suspension overtook the Toledo love and a mysterious deal was struck involving nuns and kittens and lo! I had my old Toledo back.

A brief wobble re; selling/loss of storage intervened to disrupt the normal flow of the cosmos. However, the Rust and Oil Gods were once again smiling upon me.

Anyhoo. Yesterday and today saw some Hot Tolly Action and here follows the photographic evidence. I am now knackered. Really knackered.

I took the doors off to enable me to clean up the surrounding area. The doors are pretty solid but will also need a slight tidy up.

Everything else was lovely and solid and rust free.

There is some slight rust pitting along the bottom of the sill but it is the original and is bloody solid otherwise.

The car does have its bodywork faults but it was all present when I bought the car and doesn't really seem to have deteriorated.

This is the rear N/S bumper iron mounting point. The car has obviously had a bump in the past and it looks a bit tatty. I may look at pulling this out somehow.

The N/S sill has a dent in it too. There is also some pitting in the N/S rear wheel arch. The O/S is perfect.

So, in the past few weeks (and days) the car has gone from this:

To this:

The front valance is also a notorious rot spot and as I got rid of the paint I found some filler. Luckily the filler was just hiding a dent and nothing worse. There are a couple of pin holes and pitting but that is easily sorted. I will try and improve the dent but it will need a skim of filler.

The paint was laid on pretty thick, am not sure if household paint was used at some point as it just felt different when it hit me at speed in the face. Just a hunch.

Some engine piccies. Not much wrong there at all. Just a little tidying/cleaning to be done. Grand work Glenn :-D

The interior:

The carpet will be replaced, Coverdale do an excellent kit. The headlining is intact but as with most of these cars, the glue used at the factory becomes brown with age and stains the headlining material. I will clean with meths and roller paint the material as if done carefully it gives an almost factory finish (satin emulsion is what is required). I've done this a few times since the mid 1980's and it has never failed me yet.

The overdrive is not operational. Glenn did tell me why. Possibly the switch is faulty. All in time. I will also take off the front bumper irons to clean them and to enable easier access to the front panel. Luckily the front bumper came off as easily as an easy thing but the irons are a bit loose. I was too tired to tackle that today.

So there you go. The grey primer is a sacrificial coating and will be sanded down lightly, filler primered and a couple of coats of red oxide will be painted on and flatted. Just need to think about colour and so on.

Hope you all enjoyed it so far. Hold on, I'll get the piccies!

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:49 pm 
TDC Member

That's a fantastic story Ken and one heck of a journey for the Toledo. Love the bit about the nuns & kittens, cosmos and Gods :lol: . Brilliant.
Great tip with regards to painting headlining , I have thought if that would work myself, on several occasions, glad you can clarify, thanks.

Keep it up mate. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:16 pm 

Ken, you just posted the filenames for the photos. Fortunately, I was able find most of the photos on your Photobucket account and added the links to your post.

I know Martin very well. He is the Pendle & Pennine AO for Club Triumph and founded the 10CR (the European jaunt that alternates with the RBRR). He bought the Tolly for one of his daughters to learn to drive but it didn't happen. The next owner posts on here under the moniker "beefertoo" (aka Craig) and hails from Blackpool. The Rimmer's sports exhaust that was on my 1850 when I bought it 6 years ago was sold to him for the Tolly sometime after the engine conversion so both the seats and the exhaust came from me.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:19 pm 
Cheers :lol:

The headlining trick was lifted from a car mag in the early 1980's. It is perfect for our cars. I take off the sunvisors and bracketry, the rear view mirror, the interior light and the door furflex seals. I then mask off the A pillar black plastic trims and the rubber screen seals.

I then wipe over the entire headlining with ordinary meths, this will likely need repeating a couple of times. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated environment! Then I let it dry for a day or two. Ordinary vinyl silk emulsion is needed, a couple of small short fluff rollers, a paint tray and a 1/2 inch paint brush (no bristle loss one if you can).

I use the brush to paint the edges of the headlining, nice light coats and then using a lightly loaded roller, just roller each section in turn. The paintbrush might be needed to reduce any paint build up on the seams. Let it dry and then give it another coat or two depending on how stained the original was. You can also do the sun visors in the same way. I find the texture and the sheen to be virtually perfect. Just make sure you cover anything that shouldn't be white with a dust cloth or similar. I have some picture of this (I think) under the heading Project Flipper somewhere on the forum if you want to see the outcome.

It really does work, just take your time with it. Try and do each strip in one go to minimise any potential patches (never really been an issue tbh).

Cheers

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:20 pm 
Cheers bud, I think we did it all at the same time lol.

Ah yes, Craig!! Thanks.

Good to know where bits and pieces came from. Thanks for that :D

Last edited by Purplebargeken on Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:26 pm 
Hmm, most of the pics are missing but there is an 'after' one.

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14785&start=75

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 274 posts ]  Go to page Previous 113 14 15 16 1719 Next