The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:48 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2124 Next
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:40 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Half of them are common to the rover 2600.....which is I guess half of a good thing...

Crucial thing is to keep the oil holes clean. Years ago this is what rogered one of my cam lobes for which I guess I blame
lack of maintenance on the part of several previous owners. Funny to think back then in the early 1980's you could pick one
up with this kind of fault for 800 quid...still went well til I sorted it and still goes well now...

I think I remember cleaning out the holes in the rockers with one of those red WD40 tubes? Also note the small holes in the rocker shaft itself that feed oil up the fingers. These are also pretty small and easily blocked.
Glad its muck and not wear....

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:10 pm 
TDC Member

The offset might be because the valve spacing on the larger inlets need the cam almost above the buckets and the smaller ex valves are closer together so the arms need to "pull in" slightly.

Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:37 am 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

I had a closer look at the arms last night giving them a proper wipe off to aid inspection. On the whole they didn't look too bad, there were a couple which I was less happy with but certainly none were so worn that they'd worn through the hardening. I also inspected a spare set I had and have decided to reject those as they had some quite significant wear and pitting to several of the tips. I do have another head in the loft so I'll inspect those and see if they are any better. I'm fairly confident that I can assemble a decent set out of what I have. I think it highly unlikely that there's any NOS ones around and anyone who does have any will probably want to hold onto them!

I know you can regrind the tips though you'd need to re-harden them. I imagine though that this would completely throw out the shimming so something to avoid if at all possible. Wear of these parts is going to be an on-going problem for Sprint owners and with new ones extinct and good used ones in decline it would be good to have a solution.

Interestingly I have found a few Rover 2300/2600 ones for sale but the overall shape of the part is quite different to the Triumph part, even if the profile parts are the same.

Currently no further on with the head, it's going to Peter Burgess today but it will be a while before it comes back. I'm finding a few small jobs to do in the interim to keep me occupied.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:21 am 

Interesting that you say the Rover bits are different....

I must have been misinformed about them being the same as one side of the Sprint pair.

Could you use still them on a Sprint rocker set up?

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:20 am 

I could take a punt and buy 4 of the Rover rockers to see if they might fit but actually I removed another rocker assembly off of my spare head and found the arms to be far far better than the set I had earmarked so will probably use those and therefore probably won't need the Rover ones at all.

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:36 pm 

Not much going on at the moment. Cylinder head is away at Peter Burgess for work so really waiting for that to come back.

Anyway with Photobucket now wanting to charge a small fortune for 3rd party hosting I've 'lost' all my photos on the thread here. Fortunately I've also had them on Google Drive. Though you cannot see them in the same was as on here you'll find all my restoration pictures in the link below. Actually there's many more pictures here than on the thread. I'm not currently in the mood for re-linking all the pictures sorry.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/y160jyBrXIINmtZQ2

Enjoy!

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:38 pm 

Carbs have been refurbished. All linkages, bodies etc have all been bead blasted and re-plated where necessary. A full rebuild kit has been fitted and I've opted to go for non-wax stat jets which have a slightly different linkage.

I think they look rather nice! Sorry for the flashy photos, I have some nice seamless backdrop at work and thought why not.

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:28 pm 
TDC Member

they've come up nice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:23 pm 
TDC Member

Excellent photo's! :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:48 am 
:eyes4u: why not indeed, they do look lovely :eyes4u:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:49 am 
TDC Member

Holy cow I needed my sunglasses on! 8)

:lol:

Looking great Mark!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:57 pm 

wow im going to need these 8)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:30 pm 

A little more progress.

I'd be thinking for a while that I should fit the front chin spoiler to the car. I was fortunate enough to find a brand new old stock one several years ago so it's got perfect end captive nuts. I'd never actually fitted any spoiler to the front of the car. The shell had sustained some storage damage which was repaired when it was painted. I was therefore very pleased that the spoiler appears to fit.

In the pic it's not fully tightened up as I've decided to use some stainless nuts and bolts which I didn't have in stock at the time. It looks as if it will fit well, as well as they can anyway.

I've also painted and fitted 2 new headlamp surrounds. I'd placed a couple of old ones in there but they were well past their best. I started off with a pair of new 1500TC type surrounds which are bare polished aluminium. I trial fitted them first and both required some fettling to get them to fit.

There were a couple of scratches which I rubbed out before etch priming. I then painted with some satin black. Annoyingly I had a couple of flaws in the finish from a wayward nozzle so some parts had to be rubbed back before being sprayed again. I'm glad I trial fitted them beforehand as I'd have risked damaging them once they'd been painted.

Finally I've painted the two radiator brackets. I'd actually already had these blasted and painted in gloss black but they were to shiny so I gave them a rub over, bit of etch primer and painted them satin. I've attached them to my new aluminium radiator which I had made recently. For various reasons I've decided to ditch the viscous fan. To me it's not particularly efficient at cooling so opted to have an electric fan mounted on the radiator. Partly to get it out of the way I opted to fit the radiator in position. It gave me the chance to fettle the fitment with no engine in the way and will also give me the opportunity to organise the wiring for the fan. I've actually also got a near identical radiator in stock but without the fan and switch so I can always return it to the viscous setup if required.

The build has never been about making a 100% original car, it's all about making the car standard 'plus' fitting upgraded components in some areas, improving performance and efficiency without destroying the car.

2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

Last edited by SprintMWU773V on Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:43 pm 
TDC Member

Looking wonderful Mark!

I like the fan mounting solution, is that a Spal fan?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:13 pm 
TDC Member

Lovely to see the lamps and spoiler fitted, almost looks ready :)

Tony

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 357 posts ]  Go to page Previous 117 18 19 20 2124 Next