The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:31 pm 
hey all just bought Snowdrop from ken.caught the train up there and drove her home.so very surprised how well the liitle tc performed .engine is so quiet,no droning from the rear axle.just had to adjust to driving an automatic.and that came easy :D very surprising .so nothing mechanicaly needs doing .apart from a low reading temp gauge wich has me stumped what it can be .as everything seems to be working ok with the cooling system and heater.oh well il work it out .just seem all thats wrong with the body is the bottom edges and they arnt major :D think il address the engine bay first but not yet gonna drive her for a few days first :D

heres a piccy of her at her new home all washed .

Last edited by colreco73 on Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:10 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:40 pm 
Looking good Colin.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:47 pm 
TDC Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:57 pm 
Cute little thing!

I'd whip off the indicator lenses and clean them with some soapy water; dry them out and clean the bulbs too - it'll look better and be brighter too :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:44 pm 
ty m8 thats a job for tommorow .trip to halfords for some wiper blade refills as used the wipers for 5 mins on the way home and the blades have fallen to bits :lol: and some additive .now waiting for the frost catalogue to come through so i can order my engine paint and things. spent tonite planning my approach to the job .got a dodgy volt reg think its why my temp gauge is not reading properly one of the points is lose might try solder it tommorow as a temp fix till i get a relacement from the club see if that does anything :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:50 pm 
got my garage today so snowdrop is all snug in her new home for tonite.had alittle tinker with the volt reg today still no luck temp gauge now doesnt read at all lol.i know everything is working ok but its niggling me that the gauge aint working. il get a club one as soon as my membership comes through,boot was hard to close so have adjusted the boot catch with some washers and she closes like a dream and hasnt affected the snug fit of the rubber either 1 job done :] .took her for a drive today stopped in at waitrose for fuel etc went to start her again and nothing not even a click :? not even the lights would work .so i checked all round and woe behold all it was was a loose battery lead ,luckily from experience i always carry a set of spanners in the car :D .tightened up the lead and we were off again . :D now could you do that with a modern car 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:02 pm 
Have you cleaned the spade connector on the end of the temperature sender? Often they get very dirty (water thrown up from the fan) and go high resistance so the gauge stops reading.

Glad you are both settling down togther nicely :thumbsup:.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:16 pm 
:oops: Sorry mate. That was me as I stored her with lead off. She was just testing you. You passed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:08 pm 
Quote:
Have you cleaned the spade connector on the end of the temperature sender? Often they get very dirty (water thrown up from the fan) and go high resistance so the gauge stops reading.

Glad you are both settling down togther nicely :thumbsup:.
sender looks new think ken fitted 1 and a new thermo ,so not really sure think it must be the volt reg ,unless its just 1 of her quirks :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:09 pm 
Quote:
:oops: Sorry mate. That was me as I stored her with lead off. She was just testing you. You passed! :lol: :lol: :lol:

no harm done m8 9/10 you can usaully get an old car going with a bit of pampering :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm 
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 720wt_1139

just contacted the seller on the link to maybe swap steering wheels if his is the orig hope he will get back to me thought it was worth a punt :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:33 am 
Hi Colin,

Nice to see another Dolly has arrived in East Anglia, that one looks pretty good to me. :D

If the voltage regulator is out it would affect the fuel gauge as well, is that reading OK? If you want to have a go at upgrading it yourself I have a spare IC I can send you.

I was up in Wymondham last year, a lovely place, there is a very helpful hose factor there that made me up some custom hoses for my ATF cooler, a handy place to know.

John

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:25 am 
yeah the fuel gauge is a little lazy and seems to read whatever it likes lol, thanks all the same but il get one from the club .electrics are a bit beyond me .il probably make it worse :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:49 am 
Hi Colin, I wouldn't mess around, just get the uprated one from the club then hopefully job done. I wondered if it was the guage itself and swapped it over for a known good one as the voltmeter didn't register at all. The new one solved the voltmeter problem straight away abut the rest remained...... duff at best.

The temp thermoswitch and thermostat were put in when I bought the car to rule out any issues there, so you don't have to worry about them. I also cleaned up the main earths in the engine bay too. Hope the club VR sorts it, it will be interesting to find out.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:31 am 
anyone used this stuff im thinking of using it instead of red oxide and then paint honeysuckle white over the top
http://www.frost.co.uk/automotive-rust- ... 473ml.html