The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:37 pm 
well snowdrop is now gotta wait for her frnt suspenion to but put back on .today i decuded to see what happens when fingers meet the revolving blade of a surface planner :( .just back from AnE .im ok but wont beable to treat snowdrop for at least 2 weeks :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:26 pm 
Never a good thing to do mate. Hope you're ok (as much as you can be anyway).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:23 pm 
Well things are progressing slowly .my finger is on the mend and now with help from my dad iv started taking the front suspenion to bits :D the long job of stripping all the old underseal off everything is nearly done with a little help from a bowl of paraffin :D 2 coats of red oxide has now been applied to some bits the rest will get their 2nd coat tommorow then 2 coats of smooth coat black hammerite. hopfully this week il be ordering new boots for 3 of the ball joints ,the 4th being the orig upper with a grease nipple on is gonna be fully reconed as when cleaning the underseal off found that in its 37yrs of service the boots had desintergrated causing the ball to wear.have managed to get 2 recon kits from ebay today :D .have now ordered my polly bushes for the front suspenion from superflex and have decided to replace the lower bush with poly aswell,just waiting on my local garage to phone me to say they have removed the lowers bush bearings for me :lol: .and have orderd all new nuts,bolts and washers from rimmers aswell hopfully i havnt left none out .after that the wheel arches are gonna be stripped of all icky underseal and coats of por15 applied then a top coat of somthing called whitecote which is a 2pak white enamel paint .this is going underneath aswell .photos will be added as i progress watch this space :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 pm 
I met up with Colin t'other day and he showed me the work done so far. The inner wheelarches of SD are virtually perfect, with only a light smattering of surface rust here and there on the o/s, is that right Colin? The vulnerable bits are all perfect. She will look lovely when done. Congrats on the hard work so far.

Colin, can you take piccies of the shocks? Maybe someone will identify them??

Ken

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:19 pm 
i will tommorow m8 i gotta take some of my work progress so far
:D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:50 am 
some piccys of passenger side assembly (notice upper balljoint seems a recent replacment lower looks new as well after clean up :D

mystery shocks anyone got any ideas should be standard dolly shocks but no spring shelf

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 am 
Yes, those appear to be standard Dolomite-type dampers, the collets to support the springs locate in those grooves, just transfer the ones from your old damper bodies if this ones were supplied without.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:33 pm 
Hang about Colin, I have the collets and other gubbins somewhere, let me have a look and I will send 'em to you. Then you can use those shocks, end of problem.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:34 pm 
just having a quick break from the resto to post some piccys not very interesting but just shows the red oxide stage :D

see my dad n the background cleaning up some of the bits that still need a coat :D

these are what the arms look like after the 30yr underseal has been removed

well thats all for now gotta go back out cant leave my dad to do it all :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:10 pm 
Good old Dad! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:31 pm 
more piccys of my progress iv now stripped out the lights and brightwork from the front of snowdrop unsure yet wether to do a halogen conversion or keep her with orig sealed beams .probably keep with the later :D anyway no surprises awaited me in the light apetures just surface rust no holes apart from the ones that should be there .just having trouble removing the grilles 1 bolt on drivers side and 2 on passengr side are rusted solid and you need fingers about 5mm thick to get to the damn nut :evil: anyway last resort is breaking the grilles of and then sourcing new ones but before that gonna have ago at cutting the bolts with a hacksaw blade :]and now the long job of stripping the old underseal off .wish there was a quicker way other than a scraper and elbow grease :lol: so heres the piccys enjoy

Last edited by colreco73 on Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:56 pm 
Not very much wrong there Colin. You are making good steady progress. Liking it a lot! :D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:05 pm 
also i gotta source 2 front indicator lenses as snowdrops are both cracked and letting in a bit of water or have been in the past :D

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:48 pm 
Hiya Colin, it's been a bit quiet of late. How goes things? Spotted these on fleabay, I think the Tolly and TC front shocks are the same (unless anyone knows differently):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triumph-Toled ... 336ddf4f6c

Ken

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:14 pm 
the resto has taken a rest done some little jobs reconed the top balljoints and painted some things gonna start on the wheel arches soon and have now got my new replacment steering rack. just gotta get brake discs , subfframe poly bushes rack mounting polybushes . once arches are done il then start putiing all the stuff back on .but its cold now so motvation is low lol but watch this space. oh and a new girlfriend is slowing things down lol

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next