The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:13 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: dolomite xr4x4i
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:02 pm 
The real problem with the Audi is that most of the engine will end up in front of the grille. You could always put in in the back

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:05 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Oh I'm all for doing projects but I would just advise that you do one that will be worthwhile on completion and that has a fighting chance of being completed.

At the moment we have a reasonable restorable sprint that would be a nice car if restored to stock condition. This in itself is a very worthwhile project.
After that can come some improvements like trick cams uprated brakes and suspension webbers etc etc....we all know the drill.

This stands far more chance of reaching and end result than the ideas of fitting it with 4wd from whatever non original source.

Ive restored enough cars and keep enough old classics going now to know what is doable and what will end in tears....and I do none of it for profit....just for fun and the love of old brit cars....and cos the yoof of today need to be reminded we once made the best in the world.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:51 pm 
TDC Events Officer

Quote:
jpb, thanks i hadnt evan consider using a 1500 fwd for the parts i need, thats made me a lot more confident about it being possible cheers!

jon, have you ever heard of anyone doing it? if not how would you know that its going to be a waste of time?
also i will be using a mk1 4 cylinder 2.8 with no ecu, they use a metering head attached to the air to gouvern the fuel sent to the injector.
more like what happened to opimism and imagination??
2.8 is a V6. It'll definitely go into a Dolomite shell, that's no problem at all; we've seen at least one with that engine and the MT75 gearbox.

The big question is if it's really worth it. The standard engine put out about 150bhp, which is well within the possibilities of a Sprint engine. Combined with the extra weight of the engine and running gear it looks like a lot of effort for not much benefit.

If you are looking for an engine with 150hp, put a Sprint engine back in there, it will pay you back double if you ever want to sell the car.

If you want a load more power, look elsewhere. for the same amount of effort you could stick a 300hp engine in there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:55 am 
Not all Audi Quattro (ie 4 wheel) cars run north south motor. My Audi S3 is 4 wheel drive and uses a east west 1.8 lite 4 cylinder 20 valve motor. In its current stat of tune it delivers around 175kw and 380nm of torque and goes like stink. BUT, it is also around 200mm wider than a Dolomite and about 400kg more in weight.

Mark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:37 am 
Oh dear, another worthwhile savable car destined to become nothing more than an abandoned project. :cry:
It seems only Jonners & DavePoth are talking any sense here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:43 pm 
Quote:
It seems only Jonners & DavePoth are talking any sense here
They might be talking it, it doesn't mean others of us aren't thinking it as well. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm 

If I was fitting a Colone V6 I'd go for the 2.9 unit as used in MK3 Grannies which has a proper timing chain instead of the fibre likely-to-break timing gears on the 2.8. It'll be a thirsty beast. I'm not sure if the 4wd runnng gear would be feasible in a Dolly. The MT75 box would be the one to go for provided it doesn't need major attention. They're nice to use but a pig to fix!

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:29 pm 
Never had a capri, sierra or granada. I know they sound good but they were never a great engine, it's no wonder so many were modified with rover V8s. I'm all for radial modifications, but if you're going to do a massive amount of work then surely you want a spectacular result for all your effort. I could understand going 4x4 for somthing like 250hp but not for the power a mildly tuned sprint motor would give. I'd steer clear of the audi option if funds are tight as all parts are expensive even secondhand. I appreciate you're a trained fabricator but you're only 20 and like you said yourself, can't get the sprint motor working. I'd be keeping things as simple as possible at first, and as you get to know your car more, you can get more adventurous.
I don't mean to be negative but we've all been there with a new project, getting excited about doing something different . I still dream of an alfa engined dolomite but realise that no matter how well thought out, these things always take more time, cost more money and give more headaches than you ever predicted.
I'm turning into my dad. I'm off to ebay to find a supercharger for my 1850!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 am 
Tom,

"To try and fail is at least to learn; to fail to try is to suffer the inestimable loss of what might have been."

There are wise words of caution amongst the contributions to this thread. And important words of encouragement and enthusiasm too.

If it 'doesn't work', so what, you learn a great deal. If it does, then great - personally, I like the idea of an Audi engine in a Dolomite. (I did suggest putting an Audi V6 TDi in the Jensen and nearly got drummed out of the Brownies!)

I note that you are just up the road, in Wrexham. I am no mechanic, but if at key points you need another pair of hands, get in touch. I can then learn too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:58 am 
some great advice thanks. and to the not being able to get it started it turned out that wen i stripped the engine for head gasket and a general check over i hadnt noticed that the timing chain tensioner had fallen out which ment the chain skipped a few teeth when started up :oops: ive decided to put all my time into getting the car road worthy before i do any engine swaps so it will be awhile before anything is done in that area. ive set a goal (flexible) of one year to get it done (it will be that long before my insurance drops enough for me to insure it, current quote is £2500 which is far to steep) i will try and update this thread with some pictures at some point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:02 am 
Quote:

I note that you are just up the road, in Wrexham. I am no mechanic, but if at key points you need another pair of hands, get in touch. I can then learn too.

thanks alot would be a great help i will get in touch in the new year.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:32 pm 

Where on earth did you get a quote over a grand?!
Madness. Good luck on the rebuild.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:22 pm 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

Only just spotted this thread, I'll follow with interest.

I have to say though with an engine the weight of the titanic anchor up front even with stiffer springs it will tend to steer by momentum!!
Quote:
only needs new inner and outer sills, rear arches and abit around the headlamps so pretty minor i think, it has been repaired under the battery but i think the work was done by ray charles so that will be coming out too
Can I suggest you set to on the bodywork deficiencies first? That way if you do abandon it before completion at least the shell will be able to return some of your investment to you

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:09 pm 
Quote:
Where on earth did you get a quote over a grand?!
Madness. Good luck on the rebuild.
im only 21 and i havnt passed my test yet so it is expensive to insure when i do pass, i have to wait a year for it to drop to £1200
Quote:

Can I suggest you set to on the bodywork deficiencies first? That way if you do abandon it before completion at least the shell will be able to return some of your investment to you
i have made a start on the body work ive replaced both rear arches. im saving for materials to fabricate a stand to make it easier to replace the sills and get easy access to the underneath when i come to making a stainless exhaust. i am hoping to hit it hard in the new year as my enthusiasm had taken abit of a hit as everytime i have tryed working on it in the past few months something fairly expensive to replace broke so ive just kept away from it :x but it has renewed itself somewhat so time to get to get stuck in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:12 pm 

I was 21 when I first insured my 1850, t'was about £750. Though that was over two years ago now. Club membership does drop the insurance, though being a Sprint, it will cost more than mine did. Also, don't trust what you find on any of the comparison sites. Yes, I got a quote from Lancaster through the uswitch site, but direct from Lancaster was £50 or so cheaper.

Anyway, good luck!

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next