The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
 Post subject: Re: dolomite xr4x4i
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:56 pm 
Well, that Cologne V6 is a heavy old lump of iron, so uprated Dolomite springs would probably be a good idea, I think that driveshafts could be taken complete from the donor but shortened to suit their new location, similarly, rather than struggling for days trying to match the diffs front to rear and needing to have a bespoke propshaft of mixed origin, shortening the one from the donor and fitting its IRS to the Dolly-type shell shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish with care and measuring, lots of that, in ascending levels of precision prior to cuts and joins being signed off.

A Ford (Essex admittedly) V6 has been fitted to at least one Dolomite. It doesn't have 4 wheel drive and obviously your proposed installation would need to see the engine sitting slightly higher to accommodate the transfer box from the Sierra, but as a source of inspiration, maybe worth a look?

Here's an underbonnet view of the car that I found on RetroRides just now:

Seems to fit nicely, the owner of that is a forum member here too, but I can't remember who he is. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:02 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Jikrovon isn't it? Or was his a V8, I can't remember.
Evildave's car was also a V6 iirc...
Actually, that is Evildaves. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:10 pm 
ahh i see thts a gd idea!
that looks a pretty good fit. i think i will be changing to adjustable suspension anyway so the added weight that shouldnt be a problem :D

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 5:13 pm 
Quote:
Jikrovon isn't it? Or was his a V8, I can't remember.
Evildave's car was also a V6 iirc...
Actually, that is Evildaves. :lol:
Yeah, Ron's is a V8. It's loud and it's blue and it's hairy and I be afraid of it. Some say that, if you stare into its headlamps, you'll experience spontaneous diarrhoea. All we know is, it's as mad as cheese but is beautifully engineered and - best bit - isn't a Volvo 340.

Evildave, that's the bloke. Cheers Oli.

Evildave, calling Evildave....
Quote:
ahh i see tats a gd idea!
that looks a pretty good fit. i think i will be changing to adjustable suspension anyway so the added weight that shouldn't be a problem :D
:)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:14 pm 
4WD Ehh
Alg1k ahem :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:31 pm 
alg1k?

Last edited by dollytom on Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:32 pm 
Quote:
4WD Ehh
Alg1k :wink:
Legend! 8)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:40 pm 
that is stunning!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:26 am 

Quote:
4WD Ehh
...I always thought that was only Rwd.
You really are a mad man. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:06 pm 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibMm6CLly5w :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:15 pm 
probably should have done this at the start but oh well... This is vab 61r, it a 1976 sprint with 72,000 miles on the clock, bought it for £500 with an extra subframe, new interior, a new vinyl roof,7 extra doors, 2 extra bootlids, an extra bonnet
and a boot filled with other spares. only needs new inner and outer sills, rear arches and abit around the headlamps so pretty minor i think, it has been repaired under the battery but i think the work was done by ray charles so that will be coming out too :lol:
it hads been off the road since 1992 and stored in a garage, personally i think i got a bargin :D
Attachment:
206231_10150520322690034_571830033_17777128_4484271_n.jpg
206231_10150520322690034_571830033_17777128_4484271_n.jpg [ 77.63 KiB | Viewed 3121 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:15 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
4WD Ehh
...I always thought that was only Rwd.
You really are a mad man. :lol:
It is,,
My next project,
Skyline power & running gear :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:17 pm 
ok so slight change of plan after some thinking ive decide to change to audi quattro engine and running gear, will probably use the 2.8 v6 it has more power than a xr4x4 and will be lighter as its mostly aluminium and more reliable. ive worked on audis before so i know abit about them which should make it a bit easier. just need to get to get some work done now :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:59 pm 
Quote:
Those who are approving are a misguided bunch of dreamers who wont have to answer for the stupid advice they have given.

It will not go smoothly and will be sold for peanuts in bits. Thats my prediction.

Jonners

Sorry In hindsight i should never had given the bad advice of measuring more than once and never in the history of the world has anyone had a idea that has worked out well, a lot of projects cost more to make than they will ever sell and some never get finished.
Not everyone does everything for profit, its a shame that in Jonners world nobody has the nerve to try something different and new :roll:

Post subject: Firstly........
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:14 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
ok so slight change of plan after some thinking ive decide to change to audi quattro engine and running gear, will probably use the 2.8 v6 it has more power than a xr4x4 and will be lighter as its mostly aluminium and more reliable. ive worked on audis before so i know abit about them which should make it a bit easier. just need to get to get some work done now :)
May I just say, I admire your enthusiasm.
This is an interesting idea to explore.

Moving away from the Ford is no bad thing, did they not have a habit of front driveshaft failure?
Although I guess you'd be looking at bespoke driveshafts anyhow.

Does the Audi engine not sit rather far forward?
(I have not seen a V6, but the others do sit well forward, I think).

Did Alfa Romeo make a 4WD 33 using their flat four engine?

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next