The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:59 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:20 pm 
Looks nice and solid now but why spoil its chances of survival by painting its vulnerable bits with Hammersh*te? That stuff's really poor, even more so since about 1992 when something went wrong and made it far too brittle and not very good at sticking to things.

POR15 is better but so's household gloss for that matter, seriously, your regular Dulux, Crown+2 or even Wilko own brand, it sticks well to etch primer, it's soft enough to repel stone chips and it's thin enough to show up any defects under the surface but thick enough to prevent damage. (Household gloss is cheaper than chipperite too). :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:02 pm 
Quote:
if Eeyore was made in november 71, why did it take till March 1972, for him to be sold? Sonsidering Toledo's would have been pretty much brand new cars in 1971, i would have though they would have sold straight away. :?
Maybe used as a demonstrator, as you say the 4 door version would have been something very new so maybe the dealership wanted to capitalise on the fact that they had a car which was only available up to that point as a 2 door car only?

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:28 pm 
TDC Member

Cars often sat around for a long time, my Sprint was built in July 1978 and not sold until Jan 1979! Likewise with my Mini, built in Jan 1962 and not registered until November!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Great report so far..looks fab too. Well done on the mot pass..a credit to you! 8)

I also like the period trims..a bargain.. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:47 am 
Right guys,

well do you want the good news or the Bad news??

Well the good news is that Rimmer's has quite a few clearance offers on Toledo/Dolomite parts. So i thought i'd take advantage of there generousity, and order a few things. I orders a new temperature gaue (original toledo type, Mine has the later type fitted) for £3.60, a brand new rear bumper centre sections for £12, nearside bumper section £6, and a new wriring harness from the bulkhead block connector to the rear of the car for £6.
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/SubCategory ... owItems-80

So all in all i'm really pleased, with these prices :D The new Bumper looks the business, I only need the offside section now.

I've also rebuilt my carburettor fitting a new Jet and totally dismantaling it and cleaning it. The car now runs like a dream!!! 8)

The bad news......

..... Well i've crashed Eeyore!!! Being 19 and having been driving for 2 years, Its my first ever road accident!! I'm fine and Eeyore came out allot better than the Mazda 6 which hit me :shock: Quite gutted really as i take allot of pride in keeping Eeyore tip top :cry:

My biggest worry really is where on earth am i gonna get one of those BL badges from hahaa :lol:

Jordan :)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 10:57 am 
Sorry to hear that mate, its always gutting when stuff like that happens. The main thing is your ok and it wasn't more serious!
Liking the car the by the way :)

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 am 
"Ouch!" :o
Quote:
My biggest worry really is where on earth am i gonna get one of those BL badges from hahaa :lol:

Jordan :)
To stop you having sleepless nights...I am sure I have one you can have for the cost of an SAE to me?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:30 pm 

I could do more damage sneezing on it. :lol:
Dust yourself off and carry on, that doesn't look that bad at all, these things happen.

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:10 am 
Thanks for the kind words guys, It has shook me a little, being my first crash and all, But I've decided that I'll repair Eeyore in the summer when he gets his respray.

Kind Regards

Jordan

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:53 pm 
Fear not about that little knock, I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time if the speed/quality of your work is anything to go by...!

It is a bit un-nerving to have a crash to say the least, I'm sure a few of us have been there before...?!

I love that oh-so-70's radio set-up you've got... If you want to expand your listening pleasure then there are places that can fit an MP3 cable to the back of a vintage radio to enable any device to be plugged in and played through the system you have... It's not cheap but well worth it :wink:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:45 pm 
Not cheap? To patch in a lead to the a/f amp and make it long enough to reach the glove hole?
Don't pay more than a tenner to have that done. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:35 pm 
Quote:
Fear not about that little knock, I'm sure you'll have it sorted in no time if the speed/quality of your work is anything to go by...!

It is a bit un-nerving to have a crash to say the least, I'm sure a few of us have been there before...?!

I love that oh-so-70's radio set-up you've got... If you want to expand your listening pleasure then there are places that can fit an MP3 cable to the back of a vintage radio to enable any device to be plugged in and played through the system you have... It's not cheap but well worth it :wink:
I'm over the crash now thanks goodness ha, I'm just a little bit more careful at junctions now.

I have actually fitted a CD player into the glove box, with two secretly hidden speakers underneath the rear parcel shelf. Also, as I Dont use the retro radio anymore, i've wred its speaker to the Cd player also, so iv'e effectivley got three speakers which give a surpsingly good sound :wink:

Tbh, before the CD player, I was quit happy listening to Capital gold on the Medium wave haha :D

Thanks

Jordan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:41 pm 
Its been a while!!

Tbh, Eeyore has been slightly neglected recently as me and my dad have moved garages, so we're now in a larger unit with more room. We also now have another restoration project; a 1969 Triumph Herald 13/60, to go with the 1970 Mk1 3000E Capri, the Triumph Vitesse 2 litre mk1 and 4 MGB's waiting restoration, and lets not forget Eeyore the Toledo 8)

I've repaired the wing where the mazda 6 crashed into it. Its was'nt that hard really, i just beated out the dent as best i couldand thenapplied light skims of filler untill i was happy with it. As i was in a bit of a rush and the car will soon be fully resprayed anyway, I did'nt bother purchasing Triumph Sapphire blue, as halford did'nt stock. So i got the closest match i could find witch was Ford Ontario blue, Surpirising similar tbh and i'm pretty pleased with the final outcome. Photo's to come! :)

Also, I fitted a reverse light to the car aswell. I thought I'd use my brain and modify an old 'Triumph Vitesse' Reverse/license plate light. I done this by Turning it upside down and drilling and adapting the unit with a pair of clamps which slide over the lip of the rear bumper and tighten up. To be honest, I think the unit looks unbelievably original, looking more like a Period 60's/70's accessory! However, The gearbox didn't have a switch, so I ordered one and replaced it with the blanking nut which BL used to stop oil squirting out the top of the gearbox.

Thats al really, Since rebuilding the carb, Eeyore's much more frugal on fuel, delivering between 28-30mpg around town doing little 1-2 miles trips, and delivered 40 mpg on a drive to Ellesmere Port a fwe weeks ago.

All i've gotta do now is replaced the propshaft universal joint as its vibrating a bit on overrun, and fix the clunking at the front when i go over bumps.

Thanks for reading

Jordan

:D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:02 pm 
Reversing light looks the business - well done on your ingenuity. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:25 am 
Looking good, looking very good indeed...! I love that reversing lamp... :wink:

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous 15 6 7 8 9 Next