The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: PPX 604K 'Tamara'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:31 pm 
Well, Tamara turned up today after over a week of buying her!

After a quick wash to get rid of the years of dust and dirt build up, i got my mate to help me push her in and i got started poking her!

All underneath is solid and has a generous coating of oil :mrgreen: There are other spots of rust over the body work but these are the only really serious area's. Other problems we have found so far is the wipers dont work, nor do the indicators (i have a spare indicator relay i might try if i can suss out where it goes) and the engine is seized (open to advice on this one). I have managed to get some wheel cylinder and brake and clutch cylinder repair kits on eBay cheap so that will be some good work when my apprentice is on work experience :mrgreen:

I also need to get some keys cut for it when i figure out where the number is located on the barrels.

Post subject: Re: PPX 604K 'Tamara'
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:37 pm 
What a lovely Looking original example!!! Also, what a lovely colour scheme, Red (Carmine or Damson?) and Tan!
I'm Going to really enjoy reading this restoration story!
Please say your going to keep her original?

Good luck

Jordan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:47 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

GRP wings, nose and lower door repair panel all available to club members...
And they're all guaranteed to fit too!
Not certain about the workings behind the dash of a Tolly. If it's the same as the Dolly, should be a rectangular one clipped to the back of the dash, slightly to the right of the steering column. Can be removed without pulling the dash and instrument panel.
That's only if it's the same as the back of the Dolly though.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm 
Quote:
What a lovely Looking original example!!! Also, what a lovely colour scheme, Red (Carmine or Damson?) and Tan!

Good luck

Jordan
Unfortunately, 'her indoors' wont get in before headrests go in so Rover seats will probably be fitted, as will a cd player and speakers. I will probably fit front disk brakes at some point too.

Any mods (like the seats etc) will be made to look as original as possible, just bring it more up to modern standards.

Not entirely sure what the colour is called atm, will look into it 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:57 pm 
Quote:

Good luck

Jordan
Unfortunately, 'her indoors' wont get in before headrests go in so Rover seats will probably be fitted, as will a cd player and speakers. I will probably fit front disk brakes at some point too.

Any mods (like the seats etc) will be made to look as original as possible, just bring it more up to modern standards.

Not entirely sure what the colour is called atm, will look into it 8)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm 
Splendid. 8)

Thanks for taking this car on, it's going to look fab I just know it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:21 pm 
Easy answer to the "her indoors" situation.Leave her behind :wink:

Also looking forward to the resto project on this one :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:40 pm 
Nice early Tolly. The colour is Damson and suits the car well. I can wholeheartedly vouch for the quality of Alun's panels. Fit and forget.

Keep us posted on your progress. There is the biggest Triumph spares show coming up in March (4th) at Stoneleigh in Warwickshire. Well worth a visit for that elusive bit or three.

Ken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:03 pm 

glad to see another two door being saved! i look forward to seeing its progress :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:43 pm 
Was going to start the welding today but woke up and couldn't be bothered (only had a few hours to do it as having the workshop floor cleaned from 12) so instead, i hooked up a battery and ahd a proper look at what electrics worked and what didn't. All i found was rear numberplate lights weren't working (dirty contacts now sorted), Indicators now work as does the heater (after spending an hour working that one out, realised you need the ignition on, Doh!) and the wipers just dont want to work so the motor will be stripped out this week for a proper test.

After that, i whipped the plugs out and filled the bores with WD40 in the hope that when i get in on Monday morning, the engine will turn freely :woohoo: wishful thinking eh! Next was draining what coolant was left and expecting a gush of nice brown, rust stained water. What actually came out was almost as new blue antifreeze! When that was all out, off came the radiator and my floor cleaning guy so that will be all for this weekend but quite happy with the work for today. Next lot of work will probably be Tuesday when i give the car to my apprentice to strip and clean the head! :lol:

Engine bay as she sits atm

Another rust hole i discovered on my travels

And another!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:28 pm 
TDC Member

Lovely - this is one of the very early ones with the non-wrap around bumpers.

If you want seats with headrests, perhaps going for a set of later Dolomite seats would work?

Lucky you for having an apprentice. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:50 pm 

Dave, this is a 2-door Tolly so Dolly seats probably won't fit.

Freeing the engine will probably be a head-off job. This is assuming that the rings aren't too far gone or they don't break when you try to free off the engine.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:51 pm 
Diesel or penetrating fluid down the plug holes may work to free the engine, assuming that it's stuck on the rings. WD40? :o You're kidding right? It's about as much use for freeing off solidly stuck things as chocolate is as a teapot construction material. Actually, scrub that, at least you can eat molten chocolate! :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 7:38 pm 

Quote:
Diesel or penetrating fluid down the plug holes may work to free the engine, assuming that it's stuck on the rings. WD40? :o You're kidding right? It's about as much use for freeing off solidly stuck things as chocolate is as a teapot construction material. Actually, scrub that, at least you can eat molten chocolate! :wink:
A thousand times this.
Also, I now want chocolate.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:41 pm 
TDC Toledo Registrar

It's rare enough to find a 2-door Toledo that has not been modified, let alone a short-bumpered one with drum brakes. It's great that you are saving this one.

Sadly, the club's lower door repair panels will not fit a 2-door Toledo, as the doors are longer than the 4-door/Dolomite. However, the TDC's Toledo Register has a variety of complete new-old-stock and second-hand doors, plus new 2-door Toledo skins for club members. Although there are no front-end panels in the Toledo stockpile, there are very good second-hand boot lids, rear panels and brand new plastic overriders that fit below the front bumpers. Oh, there is a complete rear quarter panel (new old stock) for a short-bumpered two-door there as well but I cannot recall what side it is. (the later rear quarters have a side pressing for the corner bumper mounts for the later cars)

Reminder to myself; must get a list together but, with a baby scheduled to appear next week, this might be postponed for even longer

Rob