The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:24 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: PPX 604K 'Tamara'
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:54 pm 
Small update:

I spent 2 and a half hours freeing the con rods from the crank to be sure it was the pistons that were seized and it is. well and truly seized unfortunately. I even ended up trying to shift them with a hammer, smashing down on them with both hands but even that didn't work :( I have also dug out more rust from the front panel and got it pretty much ready to weld up which will be my job for next week

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:03 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

I would try some of that bilt hamber de-ox powder stuff.

Have a look on the bilt hamber web site. Its a powder that you disolve into a solution of whatever concentration you like and pour into the bores and leave it for a day or two.

I have used it to great effect on a number of hydraulic cylinders recently, that were all seized and now have moving pistons.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:59 pm 
Quote:
I would try some of that bilt hamber de-ox powder stuff.

Have a look on the bilt hamber web site. Its a powder that you disolve into a solution of whatever concentration you like and pour into the bores and leave it for a day or two.

I have used it to great effect on a number of hydraulic cylinders recently, that were all seized and now have moving pistons.

Jonners
Problem is that number 2 and 3 cylinders have seized at TDC making it impossible to soak them :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:25 pm 

If it's on a stand, turn it upside down...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:13 pm 
Impossible how exactly? All you need is to put the head back on for the time it takes to do the job. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:30 pm 
Quote:
Impossible how exactly? All you need is to put the head back on for the time it takes to do the job. :wink:
Didn't think of that lol :mrgreen:

Im going to get the engine out of the car tomorrow and onto a stand but am also waiting to hear from Carledo about an engine he may be able to get for me as it might just be easier to drop a new one in and use the current one for spares. Will wait and see what happens tomorrow :)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:11 am 
It sounds like great progress is being made already!

I've never had to deal with a seized engine before so can't offer much advice other than stick it in an old bath full of diesel for a week or so (I imagine this could be quite expensive though and probably just the slightest bit dangerous!)...

With regards to the front seats how about something from a late model Rover Metro/100 (2-door of course)...?! Some models were quite plush and I can imagine you'd get a pair of those seats for peanuts...

It is great to see a Toledo being saved, especially a really early one in such a cracking colour combo... :wink:

I cannot wait to see how this rebuild progresses...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:17 pm 
Well, i never got the engine out today but it doesn't matter as my apprentice thought she could free the pistons with a hammer, missed and damaged the face of the block :x :evil: :x

Carledo may be able to get hold of an engine for me :D

I read a thread on here that Rover Damask red is very close to Triumph Damson so i got a couple of cans from Halfrauds at the weekend and painted the boot lid yesterday and although slightly lighter is still a nice colour and much cheaper than Damson paint (5 quid per can!). I think that is what il paint her until funds allow a proper respray in Damson.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:22 pm 
Another quick update.

Got the engine and gearbox out today ready for me to clean and strip the subframe of any loose paint and re-paint it with hammerite.

Gearbox out. The duct tape is just to hold the speedo gear in place so i dont loose it

The loss of the engine and box seems to have affected the front end somewhat lol

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 10:13 pm 
Thought id give a quick update as iv neglected this thread for a while. I managed to get hold of an unleaded spitfire 1300 engine for 50 pounds and a job lot of dolly parts, most of which i dont need and will list in the for sale section when i have sorted it all out, which included front hubs with discs and calipers and a brake servo! Calipers were siezed so 56 pounds later, a recon pair arrived on my desk!

These have all now been fitted and last Thursday i finally got the engine running and drove her! Not far i might add, only from the ramp to the door but its a start :wink: The next job was to put some antifreeze in and warm her up so i could start tuning the carbs as she wont start with choke so i suspect she is over-fueling slightly lol. Once i started pouring the antifreeze in, i got about 2 litres in and the rest started trickling out from behind the exhaust manifold! Turns out two core plugs were leaking so i knocked all three on that side out and have ordered a new set coming tomorrow so hopefully il be able to try out all the gears this week and make sure the gearbox and diff are all ok! Then all that will be left is the welding!

I have decided that long term, i will fit the GRP front panel and wings but until i can save up the money (have a wedding to pay for first), il just patch up the holes for now.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:45 pm 
I havn't posted any piccys recently so thought id write an update.

The new spitfire engine is in, converted to unleaded and now running with ex dolly 1500 twin carbs. Disc brakes have been fitted with servo and dual line master cylinder. New ignition coil, dizzy cap and points, plugs and leads and a reconditioned alternator all fitted along with a new battery.

Bullet door mirrors fitted, door cards cleaned and speakers fitted behind them.

Radio fitted to front parcel shelf

Door bottom welded up, smoothed over and primered. Just need to get round to ordering a weather strip so it doesn't rot again.

She is getting there, just need to tune the engine and finish the body work. Hoping for completion by the end of the month (i said that last month lol)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:45 pm 
Well, i can't beleive its been 6 months since i brought Tamara and we are on the home stretch! The missus has gone to IOW for a week with the mother in law so some late evenings at work are on the horizon but im aiming to get her MOT'd by the weekend! Recently work has been busy and she has sat in the corner of the workshop for a few weeks feeling unloved but the last couple of weeks iv got the front end welded up and smoothed with filler. Not my favourite job in the world, infact i hate it but once the paint is on, makes it all worth while!

Jobs left to do before MOT:
Replace nearside steering rack gaitor
Tune engine
Fix brake problem - Pedal is fine once bled but over a few days works its way to the floor. There are no leaks and i have replaced seals in master cylinder but imagine i need a replacement

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:01 pm 
Some more pictures now that most of the chrome is back on :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:00 pm 

I hate to sound critical but it seems a shame to spoil all your excellent work with that paint finish. It looks to my untrained eye that you didnt put enough paint on.
Its just too dusty looking. With a full fan spray you need to get it to look wet at the risk of getting the odd run. Maybe thin the paint a tad more on the final coats?
I do hope you can get a better finish with a mop. or maybe the photos dont do it justice...

As to the tuning, I find my dolly 1300 running 1500 twin carb set up was too weak with std ADN needles. I tried AAQ's which are better but too weak.
Looking at the excellnet minty lamb SU needle guide I'm now trying some ADH's.....

Re brakes, if its fine when bled then there is nothing wrong with the master. If the master seal is failing you wont be able to get full predal pressure even with pumping.
You probably do have a leak and I usually find its a rear wheel cylinder. The slightest bubble of air makes a heck of a difference to pedal feel.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:09 pm 
Yeah, the paint finish didn't look as good as i thought after id cleaned it but its still better than when i brought it. I cant afford a proper paint job atm so im saving that for when i can afford fibreglass front wings and panels and il get the whole car done in one.

The brake problem is solved, turned out to be the front calipers (brand new) were leaking from the nipples. Once id re bled, i checked them and they are now fine and the brakes work very well!

Engine problems turned out to be needles so i am waiting for some new ones then i can get her MOT'd and finally drive her :D :D :D :D