The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:00 pm 
Cheers Alan i will post regular updates. Its good to know there are interested parties out there. I've always felt pretty isolated here in the west coast of Scotland but since joining the forum and reading the blogs its certainly helped to inspire me. I will also try to get back to that 1850 in the breakers yard this week and see if I can afford to save it. or at least a stay of execution from the crusher so I and maybe Bill (edin dundee) can salvage panels etc.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:59 am 
Quote:
Cheers Alan i will post regular updates. Its good to know there are interested parties out there. I've always felt pretty isolated here in the west coast of Scotland but since joining the forum and reading the blogs its certainly helped to inspire me. I will also try to get back to that 1850 in the breakers yard this week and see if I can afford to save it. or at least a stay of execution from the crusher so I and maybe Bill (edin dundee) can salvage panels etc.
Thanks, I would definitely fill my pockets!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:53 pm 
Macca I sent you a pm about the scrap yard.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:05 pm 
It's dissapointing news about the 1850 I found in the breakers yard near Clydebank. Despite several requests the yard owner will not sell the car for restoration. He is however now aware that there may be owners out there who are keen to salvage parts so he will not crush it, not in the near future anyway.
According to the owner it was driving when it came in 6 months ago so at least the engine/box might be worth saving. I took several photos today on my phone to try to show the overall condition of the panels and trim. As I have yet to learn how to post pictures on the forum I will gladly send picture msgs to anyone who might want to see them? My number is 07876194739.
Sorry Macca it wasnt what you wanted to hear but you may have better powers of persausion than I?
A car has been dumped right next to the dolly since I was first there and caused slight damage to n/s front door but it doesnt look too bad. The yard owner implied he would move the dolomite to allow better access to anyone wanting to strip parts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 pm 
Having given the rear axle a good inspection I was happy not to completely strip it apart. It never gave me any issues in the past so just a good clean, new gasket and a repaint is what its had. I'm a bit unsure about the replacement oil I should be using? Haynes manual quotes SAE 90EP and I read somewhere on the forum that Halfords stock a Castrol Oil equivalent. Having checked out the local branch the only Castrol oil they held in stock was EP 80/90. Am I correct to assume ( and we all know what they say about assuming!) that this product is ok to use in the Sprints' diff?
Still not got those trailing arm bushes fitted yet. Hoping I can get that done this week.

David

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Yes that will be fine....

Just a tad thinner in cold weather which is what you want...

Jonners

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:30 am 
Thanks for the input jonners. At the present time my plans would be to only use the dolly over the spring/summer months and keep her off the road in the colder months, giving me time to do any jobs that need done. Spent most of today at the sprint in Bishopton making the most of this sunny weather! Back up tomorrow to continue cleaning underside while axle is out. Spoke with the Saab mechanic next door about the trailing arm bushes, so hope to have them fitted before the end of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:50 pm 
Still no joy refitting those trailing arm bushes, The saab mechanic keeps moving the goalposts about when we will do it. Landlord at the unit has asked me not to use the electricity just now. There seems to be an unresolved issue about the supply. I was pretty much finished cleaning the underside of the sprint, just getting ready to paint it. Off on annual leave til nxt monday but I havent used my time off to the best. I didnt help matters by accidentally grinding into my left knuckle. I wear PPE as a rule and injured myself through stupidity!! Ouch! Yesterday I made the most of the sunny weather and worked outside cleaning up the front panels that i intend fitting, just panel beating and filling any wee dings in the metalwork. I havent welded on the support panel yet, partly because my welding gear is at my pals house where I'm working on his MK2 3.0 Ford Capri ( sorry !). Paid for another 3 months rent so I am intending to have ALL the metalwork finished and suspension rebuilt and refitted and the sprint out of this unit by end of June. Fingers crossed......

David

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:38 pm 
I finally got those trailing arm bushes fitted yesterday. I got so fed up waiting for the young mehanic to do it that I asked the garage owner to trust me with his press. I used my old piston ring compressor to hold the bush and prevent it from losing shape ( i read that hint on the forum recently, Thanks!) and they went in with no problems. Only took about half an hour
The rest of the suspension components are all laid out on the garage floor with new bushes ready to reassemble and refit. In hindsight I should have done this sooner while waiting for the trailing arms to be done but I'm sure there was a reason I didnt ?
The underside is now repainted red (tho not flamenco). I deliberated over doing this because I believe the underside was originally black when it was new? I just think it will give it that more "finished" look!
The headlamp support panel still awaits permanent fixing into position. Was planning to weld it on but read someone recently mention they were going to pop-rivet theirs on and i wondered if this method is acceptable? Or is it personal choice?

David

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:52 pm 

I riveted mine into place. It isn't load-bearing and only carries the weight of the headlights. It might be best if you can get your photos onto a PC. I take photos on my phone (Nokia N8) and I transfer them onto my PC then I can upload them on my Photobucket account.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 3:42 pm 
Yes I knew they were'nt load bearing. My welding gear is still down at my friends house while I'm working on both of his 3.0 litre Mk2 capris,so I'm happy to rivet them on, i just wondered if the purists would scoff! Thanks for the input Toledo man. Must have been your thread I read it on.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:59 pm 
Hi guys, can anyone advise me of the torque settings for the subframe to chassis? I'v fitted poly bushes if that makes any difference.

Cheers David

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 1:34 pm 

I dont think Ive ever used a torque setting on these.

Just do them up decently tight. They are big old nuts and bolts and you want the bush to be under a little compression.

Use copaslip on the through bits and tubes...so it all comes out again whenever you need to.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:41 pm 
Thanks Jonners. I did just as you suggested and tightened them up until bushes were under compression. Feels like I've reached a turning point now because I'm starting to put things back ON the car! I ordered new nylon washers and a couple of metal dished washers for the radius arms because I seem to have misplaced the old ones. Once they arrive I can refit the axle and rear suspension. Now I have the task of rebuilding the front suspension assemblies. On that point; what is the significance of the metal spacers that I found behind the front suspension brackets? (that sit over the 3 bolts going through the subframe). I had one on one side and two on the other side. I'm guessing maybe it had something to do with setting up the geometery of the suspension at the factory??

Thanks
David

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:07 pm 

You are indeed correct. The shims (as they're called) are for adjusting the camber angle. Don't forget the R clips for the threaded ends of the rear tie bars which prevent the nuts from coming off. It is good that you feel that you're making progress.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 178 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 512 Next