The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:14 pm 
What size are those rear tyres ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:40 pm 
Daz - POE has 235/45-13's on 9x13's - they are a bit skinny, but were easy to get hold of.

Sorry Shep - didn't mean to hijack your thread.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:29 pm 
That's alright mate saves me asking the question later :lol:

Shep

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:30 pm 
Any more pickys of POE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:16 pm 
Pics of POE

There are some more on my thread a few posts down - page two viewtopic.php?f=19&t=19190&start=15

And as Rob is often asked about fitting the arches (flares), I did a small write up, which I'm very glad to hear Shep has used :)
http://www.sprintspeed.co.uk/pages/poe-track-day-car/

Shep - I used a standard backface 7x13 fronts with 215/50-13 and standard backface 9x13 rears with those 235/45-13's - The 7x13's are a bit narrow, at some stage I will get some 8x13's for the front with the same 215/50's
Currently my front hubs are ST vented hubs, so a bit wider front track than standard. I've made a set of TJ vented front hubs up just in case I needed a narrower front track.

Ford hubs would make wheel selection easier, but I was in no rush, so waited for Minilite to make up the wheels.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:36 pm 
v nice job on the arch flares ,

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:22 pm 
Another update. The arch is now finished on the door, paint stripped so now the door is ready for smoothing filling and primer :D

Where I shaved the door to make it fit against the new arch, it had come away from the door skin. So this was seam welded and spot welded for strength. Unfortunately didn't take a pic of the repair.
The filler on the bottom of the door was actually covering up quite a sizeable dent.... Hopefully I can lose it. Done most of the repair work now so If I'm happy with it later, I'll fill it and hope for the best (sound so professional eh! :P )
The door required brackets making up for the arch to stick and rivet on to. I made these up, welded to the door skin and then hammerited for protection.

Arch ON!

Starchem doing what it does best
I really do recommend it !!

Also got round to stripping the other wing so that arch is next! Then lots of prepping for paint!!

This box come as well today. My favourite kind of post :eyes4u:

Will try and keep on top of my updates more often!
Cheers,
Shep

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:00 pm 
:D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:54 am 
Ok I am absolutely useless at updating this thread!

So I have really got my butt in gear and me and the old man have been on it minimum 2 nights a week to push it on. We really needed it sprayed before winter drew in! So the last time I was on here I was mid installing arches. Well Ill let the pictures do the talking (because thats the best bit!)

SO now all the arches are on, it was the slow process of etch primer, fill rub down, primer, repeat....

Even got the missis to help out again! When I said she could help I meant make the tea but whatever... KIDDING!! She does alot of spray tans for a living and really picked it up quickly!!

The gloss looks great but it showed up a lot of imperfections! So after thinking we were ready for top coat, we had to step back, rub down, primer, repeat for the next 6 weeks. Painfully slow process but it all makes it worth it in the end!

No filters for the primer- rookie mistake! Now got to rub down blobs out the gun!

So made a mock up of a spray booth, done a spot of spring cleaning and then we were ready!

Bad weather and our conditions are nowhere near the extent of a professionals! First off, started with the small gun, to do the niggly bits and engine bay and ended up getting carried away and covering the lot!! Decided to go with Vermillion and I'm so glad I did! :eyes4u:

Got an absolutely lovely finish on the paint however this is only a (although very thick) tack coat.... So now next job is to take the paper to it and rub it all down for another coat! But for now its just nice to look at and hope that the next coat comes out so well!! :eyes4u:

So still got the rest of the panels to go as only done the underside of them, and another top coat, but (I've said it before but I really, really mean it this time!!) I will be able to keep up with the updates instead of years at a time! Once its sprayed its the fun bit, putting it back together :twisted:

WATCH THIS SPACE!!