The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Project BTTC Replica
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:14 am 
Hi,

New (ish) to the forum, but have been following other peoples projects with interest. It's about time I started my own project, having cleared my drive of a Ford Puma and unwanted Saab 93 Aero. initial idea was to install the Saab turbo engine and electrics, but looked too big a job as work tends to get in the way!!!
I have owned several Sprints and many other Triumphs back in the 80's (Heralds, Toledo, Dolomite 1300's, Dolomite 1850, a GT6, 2000TC)..... and did my fair share of tuning/swapping engines etc.
Back to my project..... I am intending to build a BTTC Dolomite Sprint replica, though not too bothered about absolute realism/detail!
I have a donor shell and all the running gear for a Sprint. My plans are to rebush and rebuild all the suspension and brakes before I install them back in the car as they are presently under covers outside my garage. The shell and 1300 running gear is inside the garage.
Hope to get pictures up soon. Hopefully will be selling off the 1300 engine/running gear and interior to help fund parts required.
In the late 80's I ran a Toledo 1300, then bought a written off Sprint and over a weekend (with a friend) transferred the Sprint running gear/suspension/engine and interior into the Toledo (drove home from work on the Friday in the Toledo 1300, went back to work on Monday morning in the Sprint ..... that looked like a Toledo!!!) may have some pics somewhere of that!!!
Any advice on suspension/brakes would be appreciated, as times have changed and I don't remember poly bushes being available back then. I have already kept the Saab 93 radiator and fans as I believe these are regarded as an upgrade.
The car is to be a two seat track day toy, but possibly road legal.

Cheers Paul

Post subject: Re: Project BTTC Replica
PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:53 am 
I'm pretty new too but replacing the Polybushes (I have one car standard and one with orange bushes), especially on the front, seems to be the way to go. As for brakes, if you have some funds set aside, the Trackerjack conversion is very well known and highly regarded.
Have a search of the forum, both subjects are covered extensively and we have Trackerjack himself here who might be able to give you some specific advice.
We also have experienced track day racers and people who seem to have a seemly spooky amount of knowledge over every aspect of these great cars so you're on to a winner here.
Good luck with your project, remember to post pics - that's almost a rule. You build it / repair it / change it = you post the pics :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:05 pm 
Hi,
Thanks for the reply!

Looking forward to preparing it for the track, though I know a few may not be keen on my plans!!!!
I have done several track days in my old Saab 93 Aero, .... It had 255bhp so was pretty quick!!
Not sure bout tuning the Sprint engine at first, as best advice given with the Saab was "to make it faster, make it stop faster! "
Will get some pics up this week

Cheers Paul

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:26 pm 
All the 1300 trim and running gear is up for grabs from this weekend. I also have four spare doors, bumpers, lights etc available, so that I can gain some space for the "project".
After discussion with the mate helping me, it may also end up being a sprint/hillclimb car as well as a track car.
One thing I could do with advice on is the thickness of alloy sheet used to cover the inner doors and to blank off the bootspace. The car will be lightened as much as possible and looking towards fitting the wide arches (finance permitting!)

cheers Paul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:01 pm 
I believe you can use what ever thickness you want from memory. IF there are any restrictions they should be in here http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/contentCa ... tegory=609

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:42 pm 
right.... back after a brief absence due to work commitments.....also the time scale I gave myself for this project was way too optimistic!!! (something I realise is very common on here)

So, update so far.... the 1300 engine, gearbox, interior and wiring has all been removed and sold. I was pleasantly surprised to find the car needs NO welding on the chassis at all and only minor repairs to front wing/front panel... step in an old college friend who has welding equipment.. and a Triumph Vitesse in more pieces than my Sprint!

The engine bay has been completely stripped, cleaned and painted with white Hammerite (the whole car will be sprayed white eventually)

Funds at the moment are holding things up, as next I want to rebush the rear suspension and possibly fit lowered springs before fitting the axle to the car.

I have managed to obtain (off here) a full set of black Sprint seats, but also have a front pair of Rover 200 Recaro seats, thinking they are more supportive for a track car, but........ hadn't realised how much heavier they are than the standard seats!!!!!

I will try and get some pics up on here soon!

thanks also to all the members I have met so far during my project, their enthusiasm is appreciated (and needed) at times

cheers Paul