The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
My plan is to make a few minor changes to make it more comfortable and useable, especially on motorway trips between home and work.
Quote:
Also got an 1850 rear diff off Rich so I can convert it to my high mpg cruiser (I'm easily pleased, anything over 35mpg and I'll be happy!)
Quote:
I've got a TD04 turbo off a Saab in the shed which I'll be bolting on to the Dolomite.

All I want to achieve is a 100+ mph top speed and have fun working out how to get there :P
I'm lost.

Jeroen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:51 pm 

You're a mad man...
I like it!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:52 pm 
Snap! There's a Garrett T3 in my garage for the same purpose! When funds permit, at least...

Some years ago a friend at university used one of my Toledos as a testbed for a turbo installation. Things went well, but even then we decided that a remote turbo was the way to go. I shall watch with great interest, keep that compression ratio low!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:16 pm 
Jeroen whats to get confused about? I want a high mpg cruiser that will when pushed do 100+ mph whilst being comfortable and reliable, very simple :P Now I've read that back I'd imagine it was the design brief of about every single car made outside of the 70s!

As for funds, this will be cheap, I've got parts laying about but I'll do this all for less than £200 :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:09 am 

I'm lost too.....why does it have an HS2? Mine had an HS6 out of the box. It now has HS4's off a Spit or dolly 1500.

Did they change carbs in later ones? Or are you just wrong..,.:-)

I also use that spit twin exhaust downpipe setup and run it n K+N''s. It does less mpg than the TR7 engined one...go figure....it cant just be the 3.89 diff.

It doesnt have overdrive I suppose...

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:59 pm 
HS6? As in 1.75"? I've always thought it was a single HS2...

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm 

Look again dude....

Its bigger than you think...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:08 pm 
Yer your right Jonners it is pretty big.

I've recently just been using the car, using it so much so infact I actually kept using the car even though the MOT ran out on the 25th of October :oops: Got a fresh one put on yesterday though, I had to change a rear subframe cup and washer for it as the old one was no where to be seen!

Done an oil and filter change today as well as having 4 part worns put on, the tyres on the car were so old and relunctant to grip I thought Id better change them. You shouldn't be able to get a car that sideways with just 60hp!

Interestingly for the first time since owning the car I put some V power in the tank. Prior to the cam'd 1300 going in the car would pull from 20mph in 4th cleanly, then when the new lump went in the power was further up in the rev range and even 30mph was a 3rd gear job. With the V power in its re-found some low down power which is nice :)

Tomorrows job/s is/are fit a CD player, some speakers and my nice big sub woofer 8) And if Im feeling up to it, fit the 1850 rear diff.

Heres a pic or two. Posted them elsewhere but what the heck, they can go in here too!