The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:36 pm 
After collecting information about the sprint in the internet the last couple of months, take a look at some cars in "good" and scrap condition I decide to do it myself.
I also have a TR6 that I bought in restored condition, but after owning the car for a couple of years I'am not really satisfied with the restauration job, so I will try to do it at least as good as done at the highest priced cars.
FIrst I bought a Dutch LHD 1850 that I know for a long time.
A friend of mine was a Dolomite freak in the early '80's. He bought the 1850 with a light coalition damage at the left front, the damage is well repaired and he used the car daily till the end of 1987 then he decided to restore the car because the upper front valance was bad and some light rust at the usually places.
He stripped the car down replaced the front valance then he lost interst and the car was in a dry garage till a few weeks ago.
I bought the car and the parts from 2 others Dolomites he stripped down.
The shell is remarkable good, but it's no Sprint....................
So last week I bought a RHD Sprint near London, it's complete the engine is turning but it was of the road for many years, I think that I sell the shell to Fred Flintstone after it's stripped down (((-:
The cilinderhead is upgraded stage 2 as the seller told me (Hope it's true) and a Janspeed excaust manifold was in the trunk.
Today I spend some time to contact a few company's and ask for the price to get the paint and bodyprotection off the car.
First idea, paint removal in a caustic bath, rust removal in a acid bath after that put him in a bath to primer him in every hole of the body.
But the costs are too high for a Dolomite (about € 5500,00) second idea: soda or ice blasting and sand blasting on places with rust,after that I will primer it with epoxy primer with a spray gun. But I'am waiting for the prices they ask for this job.
If some of you has made experiences with one of these methods on a Dolomite this would be welcome.

Attachments:
naamloos 2.png
naamloos 2.png [ 53.7 KiB | Viewed 1621 times ]
naamloos 5.png
naamloos 5.png [ 61.19 KiB | Viewed 1618 times ]
naamloos.png
naamloos.png [ 53.5 KiB | Viewed 1621 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:15 am 
welcome dutch joe,

if you have the time and need to strip the car back to metal then it is possible to strip the car back yourself. Have a search for one of Mad Mart's restorations in the forum. He (and his good wife) use paint stripper and scourers (and a knotted wire bush on an angle grinder) to strip the car back. Of the order of 100's of pounds, not 1000's. I also did this with my car and enjoyed the process, but it does come down to time.

The good news is that your car is a shell now, so you don't have to take anything off it.

stu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:55 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

You mentioned the acid dipping that SPL (and others) do. A couple of people on here (MikeyB and SprintMWU773V) have used SPL on their restorations. It is a lot of money but in the long run it would be worth it.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:15 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

SPL work across Europe so anything is possible. It's not cheap but I am pleased with the results. You'd need to coat the shell as well really otherwise all the box sections would be bare metal.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:11 pm 
Yes, of couse I can remove the paint and bodyprotection by hand, but it will take a lot of time and there are places that are very hard to reach by hand.
Another problem, my wife will not help me :(
There is also the problem that sandblasting gives a lot of dirt in my garage what I don't want because I want to primer it myself with epoxy.

I'am pretty sure that paint and rust removal with chemicals would be the best way, but you must primer it in a bath otherwise you have bare metal on places you don't want it !!!
The prices I mentioned are real prices I got from a Dutch company.
To my opinion you can do this with a car that has a value of € 30.000 or more, but not with a € 10.000 Dolly (when you find someone who would pay 10000)
So I'am still waiting for prices for ice and soda-blasting in combination with sandblasting to remove rust.