The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:40 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: '76 Toledo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 pm 
I've been on here a while but never posted anything. So think its about time I put my Tolly on here.
This is just copied from another forum

This was beginning of Oct '12

I was sitting at work the other day when a man I know who buys cars, normally for scrap, pulled on his truck with this

Apparently it had been sat in a garage for 15years, it turned over but wouldn't start, but it looked solid enough. So after some haggling I became the new owner and he unloaded it ;D

found these in the glove box as well

I cleaned up the points, and it fired up on the button so I was well happy. Then I tried to drive it and the clutch went to the floor. After and hour or so stripping, unseizing and cleaning up the clutch master cylinder I tried again.............. to find the slave was seized to :( so did the same with that and now the clutch is perfect ;D

The next night I put it in the workshop to look at freeing off the brakes, then got completely side tracked with this

and did this

only to one side though as all the springs we had are different ratings lol

the plan is to about half an inch to an inch lower than this all round, paint the standard wheels up with a slightly lower profile tyre and thats about it keeping it nice and simple.

Post subject: Re: '76 Toledo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:43 pm 
Put it in the workshop tonight with more good intentions of doing the brakes......... and didn't haha

Changed the oil and filter as the filter was leaking, and had a look into why the temp gauge went straight into the red and found this

Then looked at what was left of the tail pipe

I'd asked a mate if he had any old cherry bombs laying around so he gave me what was left of one lol

so I cut off the larger pipe he'd welded to it for his old car

and the length was about right

But then after making a sleeve and stuff for it realised the axle is going to hit the loop in the exhaust when its lowered to where I want it, so I've decided to get rid of the old system and run a straight pipe off the downpipe down the middle of the car and under the axle and have a centre exit. But that can wait a while as I'm going to have to remove the towbar first

Oh and the drivers door handle has decided to stop working from the outside which is annoying >:(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:45 pm 
Got round to doing some more the last couple of days.
Both front brakes and 1 rear brake were seized so went to look at the rear first expecting all sorts of rusted pivots and cylinders but it turned out to have just been over adjusted which was a bonus.
So I moved on to the fronts, the pads almost new but turns out they'd seized into the calliper causing all the problems rather than seized pistons, but a couple of the pistons felt a bit sticky so I whipped the callipers off, and I'm glad I did as the brake fluid had stating going like jelly and there was some rust build up on the pistons.

Only real problem I had was the O/S/F brake pipe had stuck in the pipe union so twisted and snapped because I wasn't really paying attention lol
But it's only a short bit so easily sorted.

Also took a look at the drivers handle as that decided to stop working the other day and it turns out the roll pin that holds the linkage on the back of the handle and acts as a pivot had fallen out and was laying in the bottom of the door with the spring so that should hopefully be an easy fix

Managed to get a new rear light on eBay tonight aswell so will replace the broken one when that arrives :-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:49 pm 
From Nov'12

Well the progress has been a bit slow on this as I've been getting my Frontera ready for winter, but I've finally got the brakes all back together and working, I've lowered the other side so it no longer looks like its colapsed.
I fixed the door handle, turned out the roll pin was way too lose in the whole so used a nut and bolt

and while the door was apart thought I'd try and tighten up the wobbly wing mirror. Turned out it was just a couple of wall plugs holding it in place with odd screws

So I used a couple of rubber gromits to stop water getting in and used small nuts and bolts to secure it properly

Rear light has arrived, just need some time to fit it.

Now I've just to put the door trims back on, fix the temp sender wire, do the exhaust, wire brush all the flakey stuff off and underseal it, and give the chrome a good polish up....... Then start another list of things to do ::)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:54 pm 
And that's as far as its got for now. I've put my 4x4 up for sale now so hopefully be able to start working on it again pretty soon.

I put a fresh set of spark plugs in the other day as the old ones weren't great and kept choking up with being stopped and started all the time moving it around the yard.

I've also just bought a set of 5.5" TR7 steels to put on to try and fill the arches a bit more, I've just got to pick them up

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:13 pm 
Great to see another one saved. Not sure the TR7 wheels will fit though. Well done and thanks for doing this topic for us.

Please keep us updated. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:16 pm 
Nor am I, but they were cheap so will give it a go lol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:23 pm 
Nice to see another Tolly getting some loving!

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:13 am 
Nice work :thumbsup:

Great to see another of the new generation of Tolly Owners taking over an unloved car and making there own... :mrgreen:
...I do like the lowered look....and Im 43! ( My son probably has a lot to do with that tho - he's 20...and lowers everything he's ever owned! )

Best of luck with it - and pump all the money you get from the 4x4 into the old girl...!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:58 am 
Saw this on RR, loving the half lowered look from the back :lol:
& I can't help but be jealous of that black interior, looks so cool!

Make sure you stick up a video of the exhaust when it's done, I'd love to hear what it sounds like!

& nice one for saving it, good to see it getting some attention, keep us updated; I'll follow this with interest :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:49 am 
Very nice indeed...!

As all the others have said it is great to see another Toledo saved and getting ready for the road, this one looked like it was especially close to being cubed so triple well done!!!

I love the colour combo of this one, it is really very nice indeed!

Keep up the good work and please keep us posted with lots of lovely pictures... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:40 pm 
Well I finally got round to picking up my TR7 wheels. They were a bit grubby but straight and pretty rust free

So a quick clean up and stuck them on

I think they fit the arches quite well.
Now I just to get some smaller tyres as the 185/70 13's are a bit large and hit the inner wing when turning, which is a shame because I quite like the old skool big tyre filling the arch look. And try and try and find a way of fitting the chrome hub caps onto them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:20 am 
This is looking great, one of my favourite projects on the forum! :D

If you get a chance, could you let me (us) know which springs you used to achieve the car's excellent stance? Thank you. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:32 am 
I've used 8" coilover springs like the ones on the rally design website. At the moment they vary in rating from 200lb to 400lb so it's sitting a bit lop sided so going to order a full set of 180lb which level it up and improve the ride a bit

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:41 am 
That's really helpful, thank you. :D I had been looking at 9" coils but will shamelessly copy you now!

Sorry, one last question: did you use standard dampers?