The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:19 pm 
Advice please!

The most rotten part of my sprint to repair (or should that be awkward) is the front rhs chassis rail subframe support bolt area..

Can anyone advise me on the best way to repair this ? The sleeve is also buggered, is there a repair section for this ir is it best to refabricate and keep as much of the original are as poss?

I guess there is a fairly big problem with locating it all in the correct position for the sub, but there is still the top chassis rail intact where the bot locates, as is half of the shaft!

Cheers
Steve

Attachments:
four.jpg
four.jpg [ 84 KiB | Viewed 1996 times ]
three.jpg
three.jpg [ 120.43 KiB | Viewed 1996 times ]
two.jpg
two.jpg [ 123.09 KiB | Viewed 1996 times ]
one.jpg
one.jpg [ 64.64 KiB | Viewed 1996 times ]

Last edited by stevew on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:31 pm 
Also, the right side sleeve seems to be a fair bit longer than the left (?) is that correct or should the sleeves and bolts be the same size?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 pm 
You need to resize your pictures mate. So big you can't really see what it is:p :bluewave:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:40 pm 
I'm guessing they should be the same size.
Just cut out what is rotten and go from there, there isn't much other choice. I think the club do repair panels for the area.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:50 am 
Resized - hope this helps!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:11 pm 
Yes, thanks - The club have emailed me the pics of it, just waiting for them to sort a price out so I can order it up!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:51 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Good luck with that, just got the front off my 1500HL, and that section on mine had gone. One of the previous owners had welded a couple of plates over it. Not pretty, but to be fair to them it has held, and kept the rot at bay.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:06 pm 
TDC Staffs Area Organiser

So many cars have this bit plated and it just makes the inevitable repair more difficult. Worth using the replacement panel even if it is a big job.

1961 Chevrolet Corvair Greenbrier Sportswagon
1980 Dolomite Sprint project using brand new shell
2009 Mazda MX5 2.0 Sport
2018 Infiniti Q30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm 
yup, thw bit that was cut away in the pic was a plate, and the crusty old metal was still underneath...
Still, got a couple of days off the work treadmill next week to crack on!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:34 pm 
Repair sections ane not in stock, so It looks like I'll have to replace the inner wing(s), which terrifies me!
Has anyone here done it, and how was it approached? Is it best to chop it all out and reassemble, inc the front panel, and how the hell do you make sure it all fits proper and square?

:?:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:43 pm 
Hi Steve - I have a scrap front end here, that still has complete inner wings - but no outer wings - so its all exposed- can take some pics if helps - which bit are you stuck on?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:17 pm 
In the same boat, I'm just a bit worried about removing the inner wings and front panel, then not being able to rebuild it all!

I'm just messing about with card trying to fashion repair templates for the chassis legs to tray and avoid doing it!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:36 pm 
Hi Guys
FLLS was done on n/side i just welded in a plate job done, you dont have to replace innerwings.
Scott

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 8:19 pm 
It was mainly that they need some work bound the bulkhead area too, but I think probably plates will be better...going to make a trial panel tomorrow!
Steve