The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:31 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:17 am 
Quote:
Have had the Sprint over a year now and still collecting parts for the build but i'm hoping to get the worst of the structural repairs done before the summer ends. But I think mine is in a bit worse state than yours was! I need to replace, complete sill boxes, both front wings, inner and outer front panels, all 4 doors, both rear wheel arches and repairs to OSF chassis by battery tray and NS bulkhead at the join with the scuttle vent and wheelarch! Still, its keeping me out of the pub and another Dolly on the road!

Steve

PS I too have bought a Toledo for my 19 year old son's first car, its the only sensible thing to do!
You certainly have your hands full there mate.
Best of luck

Last edited by grey4062 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fix broken quote markers

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:19 am 
Quote:
Nice car but why do DVLA (hpi) have it registered as a 1298cc Dolomite?
Because it has a 1298cc engine in it. Would not want to try and insure a 17year old boy on a 1850.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:00 pm 
TDC Member

That's bloody lovely, and suits it to a tee. I'm not a sucker for total originality, so if it's the colour you want I say do it, mines probably going to end up BL Blaze, never offered on a Triumph as far as I know, but I don't care, and it's period, so that's good enough.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:09 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
Quote:
Because it has a 1298cc engine in it. Would not want to try and insure a 17year old boy on a 1850.

Not trying to put a damper on things but the 1300 Dolomite didn't appear until 1976 so either its a ringer (which hopefully it isn't as it does look like an 1850) or a 1300 engine has been fitted in place of the original 1850 which would mean a subframe, gearbox, wiring, prop, axle and interior change so it would have to be declared as modified from standard to the insurance Co and for a 17 year old will make it more expensive than a standard 1300.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 3:05 am 

It was a common colour in the colonies!! Here are a couple of cars both 1850's, one desperately looking for a new home - and its an automatic too.
Attachment:
2011Pw HS3382.jpg
2011Pw HS3382.jpg [ 103.95 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]
The second a manual O/D has recently gone to a new home.
Attachment:
2012Pw Armitage Dolomite.jpg
2012Pw Armitage Dolomite.jpg [ 128.31 KiB | Viewed 2309 times ]
And I can think of at least two more 1850's in this colour, (known to me) and two Sprints. All but the two Sprints would have been assembled in New Zealand but the Sprints were imported fully assembled (and painted in the UK) in this colour. All seem to have a dark blue interior.

A good colour in the heat of summer and one which does not show the dust too much on the dusty gravel coated roads we have away from the cities.

Some lucky lad has a real nice dad that paints his car in this colour. I seek leave to change my parents and ask for adoption by Grey4062! I desire a dad like him.

Robert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:24 am 
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Not trying to put a damper on things but the 1300 Dolomite didn't appear until 1976 so either its a ringer (which hopefully it isn't as it does look like an 1850) or a 1300 engine has been fitted in place of the original 1850 which would mean a subframe, gearbox, wiring, prop, axle and interior change so it would have to be declared as modified from standard to the insurance Co and for a 17 year old will make it more expensive than a standard 1300.

Thanks for your genuine concern, but i knew the engine had been replaced before purchase, so i took along a Mec with me, his words " thats a cracking job" hence i paid over the odds for the car, so if it cost me more to insure the boy, so be it, the car was never going to be original, and to be far that does not bother me or the boy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:31 am 
Quote:
That's bloody lovely, and suits it to a tee. I'm not a sucker for total originality, so if it's the colour you want I say do it, mines probably going to end up BL Blaze, never offered on a Triumph as far as I know, but I don't care, and it's period, so that's good enough.
Thanks man. same here if you want it magenta paint it magenta, at the end of the day its your cash, i am never going to show a car ( just not my thing) but i have to look at it. so i want it to make me smile.

And she makes me SMILE :D :P :x :)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:39 am 
Quote:
It was a common colour in the colonies!! Here are a couple of cars both 1850's, one desperately looking for a new home - and its an automatic too.
Attachment:
2011Pw HS3382.jpg
The second a manual O/D has recently gone to a new home.
Attachment:
2012Pw Armitage Dolomite.jpg
And I can think of at least two more 1850's in this colour, (known to me) and two Sprints. All but the two Sprints would have been assembled in New Zealand but the Sprints were imported fully assembled (and painted in the UK) in this colour. All seem to have a dark blue interior.

A good colour in the heat of summer and one which does not show the dust too much on the dusty gravel coated roads we have away from the cities.

Some lucky lad has a real nice dad that paints his car in this colour. I seek leave to change my parents and ask for adoption by Grey4062! I desire a dad like him.

Robert
OK SON... hop on a plane.... Next car is going to be a Austin A35. not sure which colour as yet?????

Post subject: Hi Robert.......
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:06 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
It was a common colour in the colonies!! Here are a couple of cars both 1850's
I think they may be Ice blue rather than Wedgewood blue?
To be certain you really need to check the paint codes.

I don't think Ice blue was available on Sprints sold in the UK.
A while back I read a really interesting interview with the NZ owner of a T2000 mark 2 which had a unique colour/interior colour combination.
This car was specially ordered that way and this had to be done in the UK apparently, so the owner was obviously patient.

Ian.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:22 pm 

Good to hear you have that issue sorted, I work in the motor trade and deal a lot with classic cars and see a fair few cars that are ringers or have the 'wrong' engines and have even seen some been taken to the crusher after the owner has spent a lot of cash on them.
Hope your son likes the car and has many years of driving it and staying out of ditches.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:45 am 
She is coming on.... first attempt at fitting windscreens, on the plus side no broken glass (front and rear in within a hour) Now door handles on the other hand, there not much fun unless you have hands the size of a four year old, but there on, Mot booked next week insurance for the bargain price of £98.00, free tax now that cheap motoring :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:02 pm 
Nice car, looks the part, good to see your lad making the most of such a car

I think I've had Sprints for too long for my lad to be interested, sadly. Let him use our spare Rover 414 for a few months after he passed his test, but too much "ribbing" from his mates took its toll, so he went out and got an MG ZR, plenty of bling and with a boom n burble back box and it is the 'part'.......but the insurance is 2.5 times the price of the car!!!. £98 for a 17 year old is "a deal is that", who is it with ?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:13 pm 
Quote:
Nice car, looks the part, good to see your lad making the most of such a car

I think I've had Sprints for too long for my lad to be interested, sadly. Let him use our spare Rover 414 for a few months after he passed his test, but too much "ribbing" from his mates took its toll, so he went out and got an MG ZR, plenty of bling and with a boom n burble back box and it is the 'part'.......but the insurance is 2.5 times the price of the car!!!. £98 for a 17 year old is "a deal is that", who is it with ?

Sadly £98 is for me only.... as soon as i put the boy on the insurance we are 2K, but still thats what it is...

But the little Dolly is still cheap, as quotes for fiestas and the like were around the same price, so he knows he will get more girls in something a little bit different...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:39 pm 
wow that's amazing .... a credit too u

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:42 pm 

£2k isn't too bad considering what some others pay.
Have you considered a black box scheme to keep his insurance costs down, I know some have the 'big brother watching' paranoia but I know people who have saved a large wad and of course it keeps them driving safely.