The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:15 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Trubac, it may be worth contacting Mick Dolphin to ask if he has any. I think, but could be wrong that someone in the TDC had some bushes made up several years ago, these were standard (roll shaped) bushes with nylon washers.
#edit# Bruce has already said the bushes are available from the TDC spares dept.

I don't know and don't know anyone that does know why the lower gasket sets were called 'conversion sets', surely it would have made more sense just to call then lower engine gasket sets as there is no converting going on!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:22 pm 
Making more progress.
Cleaned up the radiator

Painted the wheels

Made some gaskets

New rubber has been fitted in many places

Lower ball joint dust covers replaced, brakes bled, gearbox mounted and secured....

No huge issues thus far!

Barclay (& Sami)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

You are so lucky to have your own personal gasket maker, the only input I get from Mrs D is the complaints and nagging when something doesn't work :( .

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 3:38 pm 
Good steady progress, well done :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:30 pm 
Thanks!
More progress has happened as I had a couple of days off work.
I needed to cover up the bare metal on the front. Don't need it to look perfect just to stop rust developing. Image
I took a grinder to it with a flap wheel to take any crustiness off and applied some etch primer

Followed by a bit of high build primer

Followed by white.
Then I proceeded to fit the lights etc

Whilst I was at it I decided to put some protection between the bumper and the body using a spare 'anti squeel' pad I had.

Once that was out the way I made a start on fitting the rubber couplings using something that looks very similar to the tool shown in the Haynes manual.

Tada!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:36 pm 
In the evenings I have been slowly putting together the engine with new bearings, rings, etc

It is the first engine I have built from scratch so fingers crossed I got it right!!

Whilst I was busy getting the business end of things sorted, Sami was busy making the interior look a bit more like it should. Hoovering out the footwells and getting the inspection panel and carpets in.

A very unflattering shot of her in my work fleece making some repairs

All starting to look more car like.

More very soon!

Barclay (& Sami)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:18 pm 

Great progress there.
Did you find out what that piece of metal was in the sump pan?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:34 pm 
There is some ruddy good work going on there, this should be on the road in no time at all...!!!

I cannot wait to see how this ends up :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:54 am 
Thanks for the comments. The piece of metal was indeed half a piston ring :shock:

More progress, the engine is complete!

All the ancillaries, exhaust, etc are fitted and she is potentially ready to run.....but the engine is new and tight and the starter won't crank it fast enough. It only manages one revolution.
So either I need a new starter, or the engine needs to be run and loosened up,
OR I have done something wrong inside. It is completely possible as this is my first complete engine build and as I didn't take it apart I was relying on the manual to teach me. :?

I plan to gently tow start it later, fingers crossed!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 am 
Oooh before you tow it, try taking the plugs out and turning it over by hand - best to make sure it rotates nicely beforehand I say.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:43 am 
Quote:
Oooh before you tow it, try taking the plugs out and turning it over by hand - best to make sure it rotates nicely beforehand I say.
Okay, thanks :bluewave:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:27 pm 

And whilst cranking it by hand remove the rocker cover to check all the valves are doing their thing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:50 pm 
TDC Notts,Derby & Leics Area Organiser

If it does turn over ok by hand,try pressing the clutch down when you operate the starter(if you don't already).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:04 pm 
It lives! She runs very well on the old fuel in the tank, but the starter still refuses to crank it. Even with the plugs removed it slugglishly spins before coming to a halt.
I can now start the car by rolling it forwards at walking pace and gently bringing up the clutch in second then quickly depressing it. Starts very easy.

So if anyone has a used starter for a 1300 let me know!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:48 pm 
Maybe your starter just need a good clean and oil on the axles ...

But wow that was a fast resto project !!! congrat !

Last edited by trubac on Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next