The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Toledo in York
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Well, here she is, the latest Triumph. I bought this car from Archie (damagedgoods) who I have to say was very generous not just with the price of the car but also with all the parts he piled in for me too. Overall she is remarkably solid, fortunately both sills are absolutely perfect, one is original and one has been replaced. Still lot's to be getting on with!

So those are the general views... Next up are close up shots of the rot!

Post subject: Re: Toledo in York
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 pm 

The various little bits that need sorting...

The nearside chassis leg has been cut ready for replacement, I'll be purchasing a club one soon, along with;

Patches here;

And here;

I intend to replace the bootlid and the bonnet. I may also change the drivers door, if I can't fix it. I'm also umming and ah-ing about the front panel. I'll probably replace the lot with a club fibreglass but seems a shame considering a fair chunk of it is savable. Ah well!

Mechanically it'll need all the usual stuff, all in good time, bodywork first!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:08 pm 
This is fantastic, a great buy. :D

Do give me a shout if you ever need any help or guidance, happy to chat anytime.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:11 pm 

Last general views of the engine bay.

And stripped out interior (I do have it all!)

That'll do for now, except to say that the long term plan is to 'TS' the old girl, should be fun!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:12 pm 

Cheers Jim, I'm very happy with her!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm 
I'll get back to you soon about all the TS bits I've been hoarding! :D

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:44 pm 
Lovely job, loads of potential. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 5:33 pm 

Thanks Alan,

I'm really looking forward to getting going with this one. First aim is as mentioned getting her welded up and sound. Then brakes, fuel lines, electrics and lastly the engine, in no particular order!

Any and all help/advice is gladly received, particularly parts wise. I'm still on the lookout for a bonnet and bootlid near to York, had generous offers from Lord Tolly and Pauldaf44, but distance a bit of an issue for postage and what not.

As an aside, I'm sure I read that the TS had the rear panel painted satin black as par the HL/Sprint, but was it everything down to the bumper or was it just down to the trimmed 'lip' on the boot? If you know for sure let me know, if not, what do you think would look better?

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:48 pm 
That looks great and I love the fact that a TS replica will be created, brilliant...!!!

That is a good question about the satin black section on the bootlid... I have seen a Tolly with satin black from the chrome trim (either side of the bootlock) to the top of that bit of the panel. So it is basically just satin black alongside where the rear lights are. I don't know if this is how they would have been done but I think that's the most harmonious way to do it...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 5:44 pm 
Was I kidnapped by aliens when this was put up on the thread.

What a bloody great little car. I love the 2 door Tollys, they look just right.

That really does look bloody good despite the little bits of bodywork required. I have no doubt that it will be a beauty once sorted. I'd love to see it as a TS.

Fabulous.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:46 am 
Any updates on this splendid little Toledo? I do hope the TS plans are still going to come to fruition... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:23 pm 

Cheers Ken!

She is due to move to a workshop sometime very soon, all being well, for work to begin in earnest. Still to TS specification, at least initially externally.

I have driven both 1300 and 1500 engined Spitfires and have to say I preferred the 1300, so I'm tempted to no more than rebuild the engine to Spitfire spec but stay 1300. That would likely defeat the point of her becoming a TS though... Some way off yet from that stage, my main priority is to get the shell solid and painted. Either way, to look at externally, internally and at a glance under the bonnet it'll be a TS!

Hopefully strip down begin September or so, keep an eye out!

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:48 pm 

Well, it's been almost two years, during which time there has been a wobble or two as to whether this was going to happen or not.

Thankfully, all's fallen into place, got a new old stock drivers door from the fantastic Mick Dolphin, a full fibreglass front end from Alun (xvivalve) and I'm very happy with the lot. I've also found a 1500 HL as a source of all the parts required to go the whole route to TS spec. I've also sourced the correct dash dials which are Spitfire and late GT6 items.

I've decided to go the whole hog to TS spec too, engine change and all, what would the point be otherwise?!

Pics to follow as soon as the work begins!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:50 pm 

Good to know it is back on. The only problem I can see if you're going to remain true to the TS spec is to get the front seats exactly the same. Some creative work is going to be necessary to get them something like they should be. It would be 10 times easier if the TS was a 4 door car.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:56 pm 

Thanks Dave!

You're not wrong, in fact the front AND rear seats pose a real pain in the arse.

I've been looking into this a fair part and believe I can modify the HL seats to tilt on the standard Toledo frame, with a bit of mucking about. The rear seats are a real pain, no armrest and a square lower squab, the only real option is to retrim the original Toledo lot in a material similar to the bri-nylon stuff. Any suggestions on where to find something like that would be much appreciated, otherwise it's looking like butchering up several good rear seats for adequate material, again, something I'd rather not do. Other areas that'll be fun replicating are the door tread plates and lower body side strips and of course a nose badge.

Long time before these become pressing issues though.

Dan