The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Red Peril Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:13 am 
Hi All,

just an update on my 1972 Toledo, When I got CXC 85K she looked pretty good aprat from the dull paint and a bit of welding needed as well as a good service and overhaul of the cooling system and brakes. but with all thing once i started looking deeper you can always find more to do.

So far:
I have Replaced a front brake pistion, replaced the seales in all of the other 3 piston and put new shoes on.
Replaced Petrol tank and new hose connectors on fuel line
Reppaced Heater hoses
New Heater fan resistor
New Expansion Tank cap
New Air filter
Filled the holes in the wings with wing mirrors that were missing
Re Wired the boot light and got it working
Rubbed down and re painted the front lower Valance
Repaire the front wings (just behind the headlights and painted
Re plumbed the waher jets (having a bit of trouble there i thing i need a one way valve in the system as it drains back to the water tank - any ideas?)
removed cleaned and re fitted the front grilles
Re Glued the parcel shelf rear lip (sun damage sofened the glue and it was sticking up)
Welded a patch repair to the inside strengtner of the bonet
Fitted new numberplates
New Rocker cover gasket fitted - once she drives i will drive her into work and steam clean the mess don the back of the engine from years of leaky gasket)

still need to:
Weld new cills on
Repair inner wing under battery (make some sort of battery tray i guess that there was one originally)
Oil Change and Filter
Replace front suspension bushes (i have them and and spraying WD40 liberally on the fastensers so when i get round to it they hopefully cone off a bit easier.
Flush rad and fill with new antifreeze
Replace diff pinion oil seal

my goal is to get this done and get an MOT in the next few months so it can at least be driven, then i can work on the nice bits to tidy it up

the only real issues i have has in getting parts is the belt park, can't seem to find one anywhere. my pan B is to get some playdough make a mould of the passanger side one and make my own with fibreglass. and the inner wing under the battery, couln't find a repair panel so i giot a local engineering company to make me one.

any tips on fitting cills and front suspension bushes welcome

Post subject: Hello and.....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:30 am 
TDC Member

Welcome to the forum,
your project looks interesting.

Quote:
any tips on fitting cills and front suspension bushes welcome
Yes, firstly for fitting sills,
raise up car to a convenient and support it on its wheels (I use 1/4 length railway sleepers for this).
Leave the doors on until the very last of the welding (that way you can open/close doors to check gaps as you proceed).

Front suspension bushes,
buy Superflex from Chris Witor (if you're a TDC member Chris gives a discount) or Wins International.
Superflex are easy to fit and do actually fit properly.

Good luck,

Ian.

Post subject: Re: Red Peril Progress
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:17 am 
Sounds like good progress is being made... I need to replace the bushes on my Toledo so I will most certainly keep my eyes peeled to see how you get on!

Any chance of some pictures of this superb sounding project?! It's great to see some images to accompany the story :wink:

Keep up the good work...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:27 am 
Indeed would love to see some pictures of this one - we like pictures! :D

Quote:
the only real issues i have has in getting parts is the belt park, can't seem to find one anywhere. my pan B is to get some playdough make a mould of the passanger side one and make my own with fibreglass. and the inner wing under the battery, couln't find a repair panel so i giot a local engineering company to make me one.
Sorry, but what is a belt park? :?

As for the under the battery the club has a repair panel already manufactured for this area for anyone else reading this if they need that bit ;-).

Please keep the updates coming. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:04 pm 
I will try to get some pictures up loaded this weekend.

In reply to what is a Belt park, its the plastic cover that fits over the Top seatbelt bolt, and provides somewher to hang the sealt belt when not in use (fixed seat belt type)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:37 pm 
Oh I see.

Might be worth putting a wanted ad up on here in the Wanted section for one?

Post subject: Hmm.....
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:47 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I will try to get some pictures up loaded this weekend.

In reply to what is a Belt park, its the plastic cover that fits over the Top seatbelt bolt, and provides somewher to hang the sealt belt when not in use (fixed seat belt type)
Could you please post a photo showing the seatbelt?

I wonder if what you need is common to other cars (maybe early T2000 mark 2)?
It may help to broaden your search.....

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:17 am 
Hi Ian,

attached are two pictures, the first one is the passanger side with the "Belt Park" in place
the second is the drivers side without the belt park so the seat belt lies on the floor when not in use.

I am sure it was a common part between multiple models and even makes, but is suspect most people have upgraded to inertia type seat belts which don't use this.
Attachment:
photo (2).JPG
photo (2).JPG [ 50.4 KiB | Viewed 3131 times ]
Have a nice weekend, i'm changing diff oil seals today!

Attachments:
photo (1).JPG
photo (1).JPG [ 53.08 KiB | Viewed 3131 times ]

Post subject: Hmm.....
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:53 am 
TDC Member

That is a pity, it is different to early T2000 mark 2 :( .

I have the same static seat belts from a Toledo in the back of my Dolomite but have never seen another set (I bought them as a used set
from Tonysprinter several years ago). From memory I think Tony took them from a 1975 car?

I am thinking your Toledo should actually have different static belts, the correct type being the same as early T2000 mark 2?
In my spares collection I have a brand new set which I purchased in a sale from Rimmers. I believe this type is still available
(the buckle is interchangeable with a Stag one, this is not in the set).

For clarification of specifications and part numbers I suggest you email Rob Marshall (whose details are listed in Dolly Mixture).

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:41 pm 
That's a nifty part that, have to admit to never seeing one before.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:27 pm 
Pretty sure my mates first car (Herald, that he wrote off rather spectacularly) had same belt park.

Any way, productive day under the car which very nicely acted as a sun shade!

Changed the Diff Input Pinion Oil Seal this afternoon. only had 2 moments, firstly the Nut holding the flange to the pinion was defiantly tighter than it should have been, Cheater Bar and a bit of swearing sorted that out. Secondly was how hard it was to get the old oil seal out, Hammer and Chisel in the end being very careful not to damage diff.

Took 2 hours in total, if all went well it could have been a sub hour job, and a very easy one.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:33 am 
Well, great weekend on the car!

Inner Wing re construction completed, i borrowed a light senssitive welding mask from work and Wow, what a difference. it made the welding so much easier., i would recommend one of these to antine doing welding. after the welding i ground the welds clean ubder coated and undersealed and applied a liberal amount of waxoyl to the new box section.

also cleaned fuel fiter out (was full of rust from the original tank.

and repaired the belt part by making a mould with play dough, putting the broken park in and filling the remained of the gaos with fibreglass. it came out very well.

New cills, front bushes, Oil change, Cooling system flush and refil, then she is ready for an MOT

Happy days

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:54 am 
Excellent.

Well done. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:54 pm 
Well, the time has come, I have gone over the car with a fine toothed comb (and didn't even damage the faded paint work), I can't hold back any longer it's MOT time.

I have her booked in at 9am on the 4th October. so the final tweaks this weekend are Oil Change check and adjust timing and mixture. then I can do no more and my fate is in the hands of VOSA and my local garage.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:17 pm 
Collective finger crossing taking place...

It'll be fine. :mrgreen: