The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:14 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:31 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

After numerous false starts and finally coming to the conclusion that it is way beyond my abilities I have had my project shell taken away by my (very) local and friendly restoration company to be transformed into a near perfect car again.I bought the 1850 a few years ago from a Dolomite enthusiast in Haydock ( or was it St Helens? ) as a running example albeit a bit rough around the edges and especially underneath.I have collected numerous panels over the past few years and have deposited these with the restorer but I am still in need of more which I will come to later but will become obvious on seeing the pictures which I will post when I am competent.I know it's going to cost a bucket full of cash and it's not strictly a restoration by myself apart from the mechanical bits when the body is back in one piece.It was initially bought by me to transform into a track racer to enter Post Historic Touring Cars and this still might come off but I'n getting a bit long in the tooth possibly to go that route but I have the rollcage,twin 45s and manifold,LSD,modified sprint engine just in case.

I'll be back later to put a few pictures up and to ask about availability of the remaining panels needed.

Thanks for reading.

Michael.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:40 pm 
Will be fantastic when finished.Sounds like you have some good bits to put on aswell. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:37 pm 

OK I followed the steps to include pictures so let's hope you can see the extent of the rot.

I cut off the front panel complete because someone had welded on a replacement lower half but in a really bad way making it appear bug-eyed as the headlight mounting panels were also in the wrong place.Both front wings were fibreglass and protruded a good half inch beyond the upper front panel making it appear as if it had horns.I'm thinking of buying a complete new inner front panel and separating all the misaligned used front panel bits to use what is salvageable.I have a new N/S front wing and a rough O/S one that I will drop off at the restorers to see if they can use it as I know the chances of me picking up a new O/S steelie are a bit remote to say the least.I also left with them two chassis legs,two full outer sills,two of the club reinforcers,two full inner sills I had made by Radford panels,two of the club upside down folded boot floor repair panels and a couple of used doors,the other two bought as a set were nicked from the yard some time ago. So they have enough to make a start and I will pop up there now and then to see how it is looking.

Hope these pictures turn out right.

Michael.

Last edited by Anonymous on Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Repair broken image tags.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:46 pm 

Have you considered fibreglass panels? You'll still need steel for the front inner panel but the outer wings and front panel are available in fibreglass. Alun (xvivalve) is your man.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:47 am 

Quote:
Have you considered fibreglass panels? You'll still need steel for the front inner panel but the outer wings and front panel are available in fibreglass. Alun (xvivalve) is your man.

Thanks for that.I have thought about fibreglass bits but as far as I understand I can not use a fibreglass outer front panel in Post Historics.Wings are OK to use though so if I do go the competing route I would rather trash plastic wings than new steelies if I happen to get too close to the walls.I imagine the first bit of reconstruction will be the inner front panel so it's some time off just yet,still poking out the lumps of filler presently.I'll have to clarify the plastic front issue soon though.

Michael.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:12 pm 

Went up to the bodyshop where my pimento project is in for serious surgery and had a chat with the people doing the deed.As I forgot my camera I don't have the evidence but it soon became obvious that I had substatially underestimated how much hidden rot was in the car and that being the case,how much more work (money) it is going to take.Parts I hadn't planned on buying include two rear doorskins,two new front footwells and a new steel inner front panel.I have to say that on the evidence of the work done so far it will be fantastic,no masking off round the door trims and spraying as both o/s doors have been stripped of all fittings ready for prep.So the first (drivers) side is coming together with three new sill panels welded on.I had left the dashboard in the car but they removed it to reveal a couple of large holes rusted through so good move on their part.They also found rot in the drivers side lower windscreen post which I thought had survived unlike the passenger side.At this rate nothing short of a brand new engine will do it justice.I have a tweaked engine for it and was going to rebuild the 1850 that came out of it into Sprint spec but try as I might just can't split the head from the block so I might have to find another one instead.

I will be going up again this next week so I will get some pictures although they are keeping a record with masses of pictures themselves which they have offered to send.

Michael.