The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:29 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:17 pm 
Quote:

You forgot the mention the thick spacer washers under the runners - presumably to save the carpet.........
Jonners
Ah - so that's why the carpet's a mess, I never came across washers. I guess the seat is coming out again. :)

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:40 am 
The car passed it's MOT with an advisory on the rear pipe - this has now been replaced with a stainless Rimmer item, it came free with a bunch of other parts some time ago. I don't think it's a Phoenix one.
Seems I get just over 30 mpg at the moment, that's a rough estimate.

The front screen was removed and replaced with a Sundym item, that's Sundym all round now.
A new seal and trim was fitted. I should have re-used the old one. :? The new seal leaks in the centre top and both lower corners, and it is water getting through the glass channel, sound familiar? :evil:

ImageIMG_2939 by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_2940 by edindundee, on Flickr

The has done almost 600 miles in less than 2 weeks, the only annoying thing (other than the new screen seal) is the many leaks from the gearbox.

Here's a wee photo from my Banchory trip:

ImageIMG_2968 by edindundee, on Flickr

and another:
ImageIMG_2966 by edindundee, on Flickr

and another:

ImageIMG_2969 by edindundee, on Flickr

and one more:
ImageIMG_2970 by edindundee, on Flickr

I'll do a wee write-up and send it in to the club.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:03 am 
Super pictures Bill.

Did you put the seal in "dry" then, I found you can squeeze oodles of sealant into it it "plumps" up and becomes water tight. I have no problems with mine now.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:06 am 
Quote:
Super pictures Bill.

Did you put the seal in "dry" then, I found you can squeeze oodles of sealant into it it "plumps" up and becomes water tight. I have no problems with mine now.
More or less, yes. I put sealant in the 4 corners but only between the outer and the body, I didn't put any in the glass channel.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 pm 
I think the windscreen seal may have 'settled' of its own accord - I'll take the car out and leave it in the next downpour, shouldn't be long. :cry:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:18 pm 
Filled the tank to the brim to get some idea of the mpg. I haven't brimmed it often, but each time I do there's a whiff of petrol. Perhaps the neck hoses perished? The vent hose perished?
I picked up a spare tank a while back for £10, didn't look too bad but I don't want to investigate this smell without having everything in place to fix whatever might need fixed, so Sunday and tonight saw me get to grips with the spare tank. It looks pretty good, no deep rust and no nasty pinholes.
Where's the best place for the hoses?

All rust and dodgy paint removed, sanded to bare metal, Machine Mart rustproofer (phosphoric acid) rubbed all over and a thick spray coat of zinc primer. I still have the top to do:

ImageIMG_3030 by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3032 by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3033 by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3034 by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageIMG_3035 by edindundee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:58 pm 
I finally removed the original tank today, and after all that I reckon the fumes from a full tankful were simply due to a worn filler cap seal.
However the spare refurbished tank won't be going in for a while. A large hole and previous botchery has been found:

Tank removed:
ImageIMG_3287 by edindundee, on Flickr

The tank looks crusty on the bottom but isn't leaking:
ImageIMG_3290 by edindundee, on Flickr

The Boot floor cleaned up - no holes:
ImageIMG_3297 by edindundee, on Flickr

I see a hole at the bottom of the inner wheelarch:
ImageIMG_3291 by edindundee, on Flickr

Zoom in see - the mound on the boot floor? It chips off with a hammer and chisel, looks like a hard black potting compound stuff that modern electronics are covered in:
ImageIMG_3295 by edindundee, on Flickr

And zoom again:
ImageIMG_3292 by edindundee, on Flickr

I was hoping to get some practice at welding before starting on a car, but it looks like it's straight in at the deep end.
I don't suppose anyone has a spare panel from a scrapper?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:40 pm 
Good news, had a PM to say that 'potting compound' was probably a bitumen-like substance used for sound-deadening and put there during the build.
So I chipped the whole lot out to find solid metal underneath, it's only the bottom of the inner arch that has rotted, and not too much of it. This was caused by the rust holes in the d-pillar, where holes from the trim-securing clips had rotted. I fixed that a while ago, so just this bit of rot to fix and I can refit the tank.

Has anyone got this part of the panel for sale?
ImageIMG_3301 by edindundee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:03 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!
Future Club member hopefully!

Looks like someone has been there with the welding tackle before Bill with the burnt paint on the bottom of the inner arch. Someone may of already plated it before, does the hole go through to the wheel arch side. Nice clean and solid boot floor though .

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:48 pm 
Hi Ron,

I don't think it goes all the way through....
Yes, a sizeable plate up there, but it looks like it's been welded from the other side? Maybe just patched over?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 pm 
Superb write up and pictures Bill, your cars looking great :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:49 pm 
Hehe, you won't say that when you see it in the flesh Russell! We must book a Sunday coffee....bring your camera. :D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:58 pm 
Ill still be saying that when i see it in the flesh mate, its a lovely car :-) yes i agree, as soon as my car comes back ill be in touch...be a few weeks yet i think unfortunately. I hear October is supposed to be nice weather wise so fingers crossed!!! :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.