The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:50 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post subject: Triumph 1500 tc
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
Well i have just returned from collecting my new project. Bought a 1974 triumph 1500tc in Letchworth North of London. I brought a jeep and trailer over on the ferry last week and brought the car home to Navan. (Ireland)

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 84.96 KiB | Viewed 2282 times ]

Post subject: Re: Triumph 1500 tc
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:02 pm 
What made the purchase possible was the sale of my beloved Dolomite 1850. I have had it for 5 years having bought it in Nottingham. I wasnt keen to sell it but I was approached by the man I originally bought it from, Jonathan and he was keen to buy it back. Long story short here is a pic of Jonathan and his fiancee just after picking the car up ready for the drive to Dublin ferry port and home to Nottingham.

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 310.56 KiB | Viewed 2278 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:28 pm 
The car I bought cost £341 on ebay and needless to say a good deal more than that by the time i hired a trailer €€€ booked a return ferry to Liverpool €€€€ and a lot of Diesel €€€€ but I am delighted that the basic car is very good. The car does not need a huge amount done to it. There is some rust that has been treated and any holes have been filled. I am hoping that once the battery is charged up and fresh petrol put in she might fire . I will keep the forum posted.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:30 pm 
Thats the car I bought for £500. But some scumbag raped my bank account and I had no choice but to withdraw from the sale. I was pretty gutted as she looked to be in great shape, with lots of spares.
You got yourself a real bargain. Good luck with the new project. :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:40 am 
That makes sense Karl as the very nice man that I bought the car from (Lee) said he had done a deal with someone for £500 but the buyer didnt complete the deal. He wasnt aware of the reason. Yes the car is basically solid. AJ

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:34 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

Quote:
What made the purchase possible was the sale of my beloved Dolomite 1850. I have had it for 5 years having bought it in Nottingham. I wasnt keen to sell it but I was approached by the man I originally bought it from, Jonathan and he was keen to buy it back. Long story short here is a pic of Jonathan and his fiancee just after picking the car up ready for the drive to Dublin ferry port and home to Nottingham.
Hi Aidan, sorry to thread hi-jack away from your new red 1500 (which is lovely), but I thought I'd just say thanks again for allowing the return of my brown 1850HL, it was an enjoyable drive from Navan to Dublin, and then on from Liverpool to Nottingham. 180 miles covered without fault. Heres a pic of the car on the ferry and then tucked away in my garage after a quick clean.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:07 pm 
Ah Jonathan I could not tell you how happy I am to see you get your car back. I am delighted it all went smoothly. I had a near heart attack when I started her on Friday morning to find her running so badly. This was with you about half an hour from arriving at my house. I have to pay tribute to Pat my local garage man (75 if hes a day!) who took the distributor off completely and sorted out the condensor and points and timing. I had visions of you heading for Dublin port without the car. Anyway it was great to meet you and your lovely fiancee. The very best of Irish good luck with the car and your impending nuptuals, Aidan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:05 pm 
Anyway this evening i sorted out the leak from the carb reservoir. Just had to tighten a nut. Then I took off the rear wheel to find the brake cylinder is shot. Can anyone tell me if these can be bought for av1974 triumph 1500. Alternatively is there a repair vit available?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:16 pm 

One of the major suppliers should be able to help. The first port of call should be club spares. Do you need the parts catalogue? I can get it off the Heritage CD-ROM and have it converted to a PDF file that can be opened on any PC/Mac/Table/Smartphone that has Adobe Reader installed. The PDFs on the disc can't be read without the Autorun software that starts up when you put the disc in. Also, my disc doesn't work on Windows 7 or 8 so I have to boot up in XP on my desktop PC.

Jonathan, how about starting a thread about your 1850? I know it isn't a "resto" by any means but we all like to see what others are doing to their Dollies and it is a record of what you did and when.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:19 pm 
Thanks for that. My other concern is the solidity or lack thereof of the light bowls that the two outer headlights fit into. There is a fair bit of rust behind both outer headlights. Can i buy replacements. Did i see plastic replacements somewhere? AJ

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:35 am 

As far as I know, the main source will be a good secondhand unit. One of mine was too far gone to be reused so I had to get a secondhand one. You might get lucky and find a NOS item. If your bowls are as bad as to need replacement then you should check the panels for rot. Fortunately, these are available from Alun, our resident panel man.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle