The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:34 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next
 Post subject: Re: New Gilbert
PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 am 
Rang up Garage to book MOT for Friday this afternoon and the Guy said he had nothing on at the moment so bring it straight round, so I did! Oh crap, it was not finished, I forgot to fit one of the pins that hold the brake pads in place on front disc's. I left it out as I had miss laid the 'R' clip so I thought I would do it later....... Told the Guy who said no problem as he would do it when checking the wheel, nice Guy I thought, then he said one of the front side lights was not working!!!! Bugger, it was working the previous week. Anyway, he was really interested in the car as he used to own a Dolly Sprint when he was courting and he sold it to buy an engagement ring. I asked him if was worth the swap and he said yes, but the Dolly would probably be worth more today........ Anyway he said everything was fine except the sidelight and handed me a Phillips to put it right. Took lens off and waddled the bulb and checked the bullet connectors and still no light so took out working bulb and swapped it over and it worked so bulb blown. Guy gave me a new one and put it in the working side when I brought the car in and it did not work! Messed about for 5 minutes and the Guy got fed up and said, it was working when it came in so put the lens back on and be on my way.
So passed MOT with no advisories - after all the hard work over 18 months, many hours getting rid of rust, welding nearly 3 sheets of 2m x 1m x 0.9 Zintec repairing the holes and new sills and door bottoms from TDC, I lost count of the number of weld wire reels I used, stripping down every last nut and bolt down, spraying etc, etc etc. Many people have done this before, but it is not until you do it yourself do you realise the enormity of the task and the amount of work and dedication involved. After seeing the quality of the Triumph cars at the Coventry Motofest, mine is not of that standard, but I am very pleased with the result and I still have loads of work to do - fit exterior brightwork, fit underfelt and carpets, replace hardboard on door cards and fit, fit parcel shelf and cut-in and polish paint which I have not done yet. Thought I would leave it to last in case of damage during assembly, good job as loads of little nicks to be dealt with. Fitted the outer door locks today and found that you can lock and un-lock with any key and if partially in or not! New ones needed as well as better front bumper and overiders, rear ones will need re-chroming some time. So lots of jobs to do but at least I can take it out for ride in-between doing them. Took wife out for a meal at local pub tonight as a thank you for putting up with me and my tantrums with the car, she loved the car. We had a 1969 1300TC a year before we got married and had it for 14 years and loved the car so happy memories. TNX 472 G funny how you remember certain numbers?

Attachments:
File comment: Back end of Gilbert in Pub car park
IMG0032b.jpg
IMG0032b.jpg [ 84.63 KiB | Viewed 2360 times ]
File comment: Me and Gilbert at the first run-out after MOT pass.
IMG0033b.jpg
IMG0033b.jpg [ 86.05 KiB | Viewed 2360 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:48 am 
Congratulations!

A mammoth task but very well done I think :)

That is such a lovely colour, my personal favourite.

Now you can just take your time to sort out the remaining odds and sods, maybe relax a little too eh?

When would you like me to bring LWT over :)

All the best.

Ken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:49 pm 
:clapping: Well done, and all your own work - not many can say that. Happy motoring.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:07 am 
Future Club member hopefully!

:D
Congratulations & very well done. Superb effort, it looks amazing. Hope you can enjoy it immensely.
Keep us updated.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:40 am 
TDC Member

Well done looks great, a huge amount of work done here to save this car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:03 pm 

Absolutely fantastic herculean resto, and thanks for the awesome thread! 8)

I salute you Sir.. :wink: Enjoy. :)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm 

It isn't over yet. They're never "finished". Well done for getting it back on the road. A testament to your skills.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:48 pm 
TDC Member

Well done Sir, it was good talking to you on Sunday.

Never knock your car, I would have been very pleased to have it with us in Coventry on Sunday

1965 Triumph 2000 black and rust
1967 BSA B40wd green
2018 Jaguar E pace 2018
NOBODY expects the Canley Inquisition!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:23 pm 

Superb Pete, a truly magnificent restoration which can only inspire others to have a go themselves. Respect to you and enjoy. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 pm 
Thank you all for your lovely comments, it is very much appreciated.
When I was in Coventry looking at all the lovely 1300's there, I smiled to myself when I saw the amount of drip trays being used and thought 'mine will not leak as I fitted new gaskets and loads of gunge' - how wrong I was!!!!!
The timing cover seal leaks the odd spot, the two long bolts through sump leaks badly and so on. Managed to fix sump bolt leak but timing seal was new so little point in fitting a new one, so I thought I need to accept that it was always leak somewhere. I had some sheet steel left over from the body repairs so I made a drip tray which is fitted underneath the sub-frame. The back clips into the rear of the sub-frame and the front is held in place with two bolts the edge has a 5mm up-stand and has a plastic edging fitted to stop rattling and rubbing damage to sub-frame. It should catch all the drips and will be easy to empty and clean. Affects to cooling flow around engine needs to be assessed over time, but looks good.

Attachments:
File comment: Top of drip tray before fitting showing the plastic edging in place
DSC09741.JPG
DSC09741.JPG [ 93.31 KiB | Viewed 2262 times ]
File comment: Drip tray in place under engine
DSC09745.JPG
DSC09745.JPG [ 81.79 KiB | Viewed 2262 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:30 pm 
Hi Pete.

Fantastic looking 1300 you've got there, Wedgwood really suits these cars .

The leak at the front is most probably caused by the sealing block which fits over the front main bearing cap, the threads always seems to strip meaning the front plate doesn't pull up tightly. there are steel one available, but that's a engine out job on a fwds, so I'd just live with the leak.

Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:06 pm 
Hi Gordon, thanks for that but have already experienced the problem. When we assembled the engine the two front screws would not do up due to threads stripped so we decided to leave them out - bad move! The oil splash from inside the crankcase meant a really bad leak so had to raise the engine again and found that the length of bolt is vital as if they protrude the sealing block they bottom out on the main bearing cap. So tapped the treads out to 8mm (did not have 5/16") and cut bolt to correct length and all is well. The timing cover seal is new, but I expected it to leak as the pulley has been damaged in the past. Looks like it had come un-done smashing the keyway and cracking the boss where seal sits. I bought a new pulley, but inner diameter was about a millimetre too small and did not have a tapered entry to the bore for the main nut to engage on. Will see how it goes over time.
Spent the day yesterday cutting in the paint, messy old job and most of front garden is tarnished with Wedgewood Blue splashes.
Result is shinny but needs more time to 600grit cut back and polishing. Disappointed that door gaps are not as good as expected, but after all the welding and replacing of metal I must of expected too much. Still it looks quite good I'm proud to say and have attached some photos of status to-date. I still have to fit 3 door panels after new hardboard fitted, under-felt and carpet, parcel-shelf and exterior chrome-work and badges. Back bumper I can get re-chromed but front is too dented so need another bumper with no dents and pair of over-riders - anyone know of whereabouts I can get them from?

Attachments:
DSC09781b.jpg
DSC09781b.jpg [ 78.04 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]
DSC09782b.jpg
DSC09782b.jpg [ 59.15 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]
DSC09783b.jpg
DSC09783b.jpg [ 63.35 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]
DSC09780b.jpg
DSC09780b.jpg [ 78.61 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]
DSC09779b.jpg
DSC09779b.jpg [ 82.17 KiB | Viewed 2233 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:51 pm 
Made new door panels today and was really pleased with results. The old hardboard was so distorted from damp over the years. I used the old ones as a pattern and was quite accurate. I glued the covers back on rather than staples.

Attachments:
File comment: New and old
DSC09784.JPG
DSC09784.JPG [ 84.46 KiB | Viewed 2188 times ]
File comment: Edge view showing how badly distorted the old panels were compared to new ones
DSC09786.JPG
DSC09786.JPG [ 74.41 KiB | Viewed 2188 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:31 pm 
Pete, that other pulley is from a later engine, as you've noticed the early cars had a problem with the pulley nut coming loose, they solved this by putting a taper on the crankshaft spigot similar to Morse taper used on drill presses. That's the reason the other pulley didn't fit, it has a tapered bore. These don't come loose, and consequently are a pain to remove!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 11:06 pm 
Thanks for info, now I understand the problem.
My patented (I wish!) oil drip tray seems to be working well and to date has caught about 6 drops so I can live with problem. I may get bore opened up in the future.
Appreciate feed back.
Pete

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous 13 4 5 6 7 Next