The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:37 am

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:22 am 
Quote:
Time for a radiator recore maybe? :)
Absolutely! There are not too many cooling fins left, but the radiator doesn't leak.
It does for now to see what else the car needs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:03 pm 
Not too much been done, but over the summer a previous weld repair to the driver side front cill had to be cut off and redone, as the lower wing panel wouldn't fit.
This is the end result:
ImageIMG_3276 by edindundee, on Flickr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:58 pm 
Slow but steady progress.
The fibreglass wings that cam with the car cannot be made to fit (not club panels, they are of unknown provenance and flap around, very thin).
A replacement nearside steel wing was purchased for £100 (many thanks) and this has now been fitted, see below.
The welding that had been commissioned by the PO had to be cut out - the wing simply would never fit over it. So that's been re-made all fits OK now.
ImageReplacement wing before cleaning up by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageReplacement wing before cleaning up by edindundee, on Flickr

ImagePartially fitted by edindundee, on Flickr

ImageFully fitted by edindundee, on Flickr

Imagea bit of polish by edindundee, on Flickr

Imagelooking good by edindundee, on Flickr

This really does look nice "in the flesh".
The parcel shelf, gearbox cover and carpets have now been refitted and the broken interior driver's door handle replaced. The interior needs a damned good clean, but I'm thinking of leaving that for the next owner. Opinions welcome!

Next on the list is a Superflex replacement steering column bush from club spares.

ACK has already been called into service - it donated an SU jet for an emergency repair to an MG1300, requested by a friendly neighbouring garage, so it has a new replacement.

Slow but sure, it will have a solid 12 months MOT before being offered for sale, and not necessarily to the highest bidder. Remember I had thought about using the car as a donor for my 1850, but it's too good. So it won't be going to anyone that can't look after it.
The car still needs lots of work, e.g. a radiator recore, bloody good clean, etc and preferably the old underseal removing and replacing, top up the cavity wax treatment, all the sort of stuff that any decent owner should do to keep the car for years. New tyres would be a safe idea.

Post subject: Yes.......
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:08 pm 
TDC Member

Looks good Bill.
Thanks for the update, I was wondering recently how you were getting on with this.

Ian.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 2:25 pm 
Tappets adjusted, way out, choke freed off, tracking adjusted, miles out, steering column lower bush replaced, new inserts in the wipers, washer jets unblocked, it's almost there!

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:28 pm 
Imageimg_0739 by edindundee, on Flickr

:D

Sputtering a lot, possibly the coil, so this has to be fixed before being driven for a couple of hundred miles to prove reliability, then up for sale.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 12:49 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Congratulations Bill, well done!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:03 pm 
Well that's it bar the shouting, everything works (almost) and the car runs great. Pottered down the bypass at 60mph, drove over the cobbles in Stockbridge, no issues, it handles better than my 1850 (must get new tyres for that) and a 1500 exhaust note is so much better than an 1850. It's quick off the mark, but not being used to a 1500 it doesn't have the 'power' :lol: of the slant.
I'll use it to go to work and back for the next couple of weeks (30 mile round trip).
It's a great colour and attracts more interest than my tatty white one, and of course having been Ziebarted from new and looked after properly, it's solid everywhere that matters.

Things that don't work: low fuel warning, trip meter.

Things that need attention:
I think it's a wee bit rich, need to floor the throttle when hot starting.
Outer door seal strips need replacing.
I noticed a pinhole in the nearside quarterlight seal.
The interior needs a clean.
The door cappings need revarnishing.
The n/s door card has a circular mark where previously the window winder must have been rubbing.
A bit of rust appearing on the bottom of a rear door.
Radiator should be re-cored (doesn't leak and the engine doesn't overheat but there aren't many cooling fins left).
New tyres.
New battery (this one works, but provenance unknown).

Annoying bits:
Not all of the dials are vertical.
Has an aerial hole in the front drivers wing - needs an aerial.
Front spoiler missing - did they have them as standard in 1500HL spec? (I have one spare if so).
Steering wheel not central.

:D :D :D :D

Post subject: Aye...
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:23 am 
TDC Member

Bill, 1500HLs didn't have the front spoiler (only the Sprint, intermediate 1850 and 1850HL did).

Good to learn that you have got it up and running!!!

Ian.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:21 pm 

Ha I love your driving observations....

An 1850 flees happier at 35 in 1st than a 1500 does in second. The short gearing does make for a quick set off
but the ohv long stroke thrash soon has you reaching for the next gear...

I cant see much difference in exhaust note as the carbs and exhaust are very similar. Maybe one of yours has lost its baffles?

I drove a 1300 spit recently with a close ratio (dolomite I suspect but could be Marina) set of ratios and boy was it
an improvement...

Coming soon to my spit....

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:26 am 
8) Hi there, you've done a power of work there, is it still for sale?
I'm up in the Western Isles, so you are a lot closer than many other sellers which is a huge plus!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:45 am 
Yes, still for sale, just need to get some time to prepare and ebay auction :(
Western Isles - that would be a great road trip!
I've pm'd you my email address.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:46 pm 
8) :D
ACK shining in the sunshine ouside its new home on the Isle of Lewis, Western Isles, Scotland!
Many thanks to Bill for all the info & for driving it up to Inverness, it was a pleasure to meet you.
The journey to Ullapool to catch the ferry was uneventful, apart from the blinkin rain!
ACK didnt miss a beat and has drawn many favourable comments since, both at the ferry terminal and on the island :D

Attachments:
20150815_183756.jpg
20150815_183756.jpg [ 334.65 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]
20150815_183812.jpg
20150815_183812.jpg [ 459.72 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]
20150815_183831.jpg
20150815_183831.jpg [ 393.01 KiB | Viewed 2101 times ]

Last edited by Toledo Man on Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized the photos.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:38 pm 
Hi Norman,

Great to meet you, ACK looks very happy there.
Please do visit the forum and keep us up to date, it's a great place for Dolomite advice advice and spares too.
The V5 has been sorted, and I'll send through the tips on clearing holes in the scuttle.
:D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:01 am 

Welcome to the forum.

Please keep us updated with the car. They're never really "finished". Don't forget to join the Club if you already haven't done so. It is well worth every penny of the membership fee.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle