The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:20 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Now there is a good question.

I think ABK rings a bell but its been a while since I had a SU'ed 1850 in the fleet. What I do know is the standard needle is wrong, it being
BL policy to make all their cars run weak to get good motorway cruise economy I guess.

The result is most late 1850's ans Sprints too are a good 10 mph down on the road test performance figures.

NBH on bergs back in its day would easilly do 105.

ERO is now TR7'ed and on HS6's and much the better for it. Its still accelerating at 110, but then its an old girl now and road conditions are rarely
suitable for Vmax activity, so that was a while ago.

When its running right and MoT'ed then you can play around a bit. The Minty Lamb web site had an SU needle chart so you can start with the book one and choose one thats a bit richer at higher revs. I used it to pick ADH's for my spit 1500 and I'm quite pleased with how it drives, but its now a bit thirstier than it used to be, still you cant have everything and I'm a bit of a hoon.

What I do know is you can change a lot of needles for the price of a rolling road session if you can find one and someone who knows how to do it for an SU.

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:06 pm 
Back from it's MOT and it is good news.

The only thing that needs doing is a bit of welding as expected.

It's going in next week to have it done.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:12 pm 
Jon

I have also been told that automatics had different 'jetting' to manuals. I'm assuming that did not mean different jets but needles. Sounds logical.

TR Enterprises know of a local guy who is supposed to be a wizard with SUs so I will more than likely contact him.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:43 pm 

I just asked the new owner of my ex best SU'ed 1850 to find out what needles are in his.

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:46 pm 
Just checked mine, they are ABK

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:31 pm 
EJM NOW HAS IT'S MOT !!!!!

I am really chuffed.
I know that it is the Sprints that make the money but this is a fine car and I'm sure that goes for all of the models in the range.
I bought it on a whim and had it in mind to get it through it's MOT and maybe pass it on but I will definitely now keep it into next year.
There is still a lot to be done. On top of the usual maintenance there is still some welding needed and paintwork etc to be attended to . The interior is a mess but Howard is supplying me with some trim and carpets which will put me well on the way to getting it sorted.
I have only had experience of small-chassis Triumphs before and this has been very different so thanks to everybody who has given me advice (I'm sure that I'm going to need a lot more).

I will enjoy working on it over the winter but in the meantime I will really enjoy driving it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 am 

Congrats on the pass. Another 1850 auto back on the road. Like your's, mine still needs work but being road legal is a big boost for the enthusiasm.

Are you going to the TDCIR?

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:27 pm 

Dolly slant autos are really nice cars.

The torque converter match is excellent and the 3.27 diff makes a decent cruise too.

Nicer than a Sprint auto IMO....

I can see you keeping it a long time...

Jonners

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:21 pm 
I have reluctantly, for personal reasons, had to let my Dolly go.

It is a pity because I have done a lot of work on it but I found maintaining two cars was a bit much at the moment and I have a space problem.

The good news is that Mike Papworth has bought it and he is getting it ready for a friend so it will go to a good home.

I am going to stay a member of the club and as soon as I have sorted things out and got the work on the Herald done I will get another one (as Jon says they are really nice),although, given the rarity of autos, that may take a while.

I achieved my aim of saving it from the scrap yard and I did consider just storing it until I could get back on it again but circumstances have made that impracticable and Mike made me a good offer.

Thanks to everybody for their help.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:47 pm 

sad to hear that alan,well done on saving it,im sure you`ll get another soon

Dolomite 1300,1980`V`reg in british racing brown(russet),3.63 diff with 21t speedo pinion,95%poly`d,HL clocks,standard wheels with SE covers wrapt in 175 70 13,mot`d 19-09-2014,been off the since 1990,(july2017) stainless steel exhaust 3-piece,(xmas2018) wooden mountney steering wheel,(june2020) new monroe shock(radial front,gas-matic rears) with -1" lower`d springs all round.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:44 pm 
Been a bit of a development - see 'Cars for Sale'