The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Brooklands 1850hl 1980
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:39 am 
Acquired and made a start on my new baby. Overspent like crazy on tools and parts way too quickly but at least I will have plenty to get on with.

Previous owner had dinged rear quarter and door by dragging a truck trailer down the side.
So far have pulled the quarter out but having trouble sourcing a n/s rear door.
Plenty else to be getting on with though
Some bodywork issues patches of surface rust and such however the offside chassis rail has rotted at the rear sub frame mount and has been endlessly patched before. So have ordered a new rail from the club.
It appears that dropping the rear of the subframe should give access to replace the rail...at least I hope so!

Many leaks from the gearbox and diff plus a leaky brake master cylinder.
Haven't yet investigated some rust to the headlights mounting panel on the nearside. I glimpsed the hole while peeking around the wheel arch.
Have stripped the interior from the rear of the car and the rear lights. Just wire brushed the sills and jacking points and used rust cure on all areas. Practically painted the underside with it.

Never have I seen an exhaust system with so much bandage on it even the manifold is covered!

Anyway will attempt to update as and when can do bits and hopefully learn to weld and how to post pics

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:05 am 
Sounds a project with loads of potential for learning on.

You are in the right place so please feel free to ask as many questions as you wish, there is a vast pool of knowledge and experience here that is freely available to answer any questions.

Please keep us updated as you make progress.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:10 am 
As for posting pictures, this may help. "BigDWiz" is using Photobucket but any photohost will do;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_ASO6S-OMg

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:31 pm 
Thanks for the reply and that link for the photo upload is very helpful a piece of cake (unlike the chassis rail i'm sure)

Thanks for the invitation to tap the wealth of knowledge I have a feeling I may be draining it profusely!

I think she has been used and abused since around 2008 according to the paperwork when it was sold on ebay back then the seller had put spax shocks and some poly bushes and the rear wheel arches have been replaced as have sections of the sills.

Engine seems good think I got her in the nick of time as the engine was being run on a coolant mix of 100% tap water.
Considering using that posh waterless coolant stuff once I can confirm cooling system is in good order will get some pics up next week.

Mechanical stuff may largely have to wait until i can get ahead of the tin worm.

Has anyone replaced the chassis rail by lowering the rear mounts of the subframe?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:41 am 
This sounds like a very worthwhile project... I cannot wait to see some pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:21 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

If this is the car I think it is, it was once in the care of one of our forum greats....

Kinda fitting that it needs one of his chassis rails now.

Jonners

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 pm 
this was the one on ebay recently wasnt it ?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:04 pm 
He did say it was on Ebay yes. Will be hopefully putting piccies up tomorrow so I'm sure it will be recognised. Just a pity work gets in the way or I would be working on her like crazy.
Don't have as much time as I would like as self employed.

Last edited by Maidstonerob on Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:06 pm 
If that's the case I'm glad its back among friends again. I had a feeling when I read the history file that it had probably been a club members car.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:09 am 
TDC West Mids Area Organiser

VGK? It used to be owned by Susie. Ironically she bought it in Croydon which is where it was last sold from; an elderley lady owned it before her and Susie sold it about 6 years ago to a chap up north who was a member for a while. We put the arches on for her, but the next owner finished them off and seemed to do a good job of it, he brought the car down to our annual meet at Warwick racecourse whenever that was.

The chassis leg is sitting in front of me, I'm about to wrap it to get it dispatched to you tomorrow. Yes, you will have to drop the rear of the subframe, but the subframe is critical in getting the new leg properly aligned. To be honest, the hardest bit of fitting one is getting the old metal off cleanly, just make sure you have plenty of clamps to hand and spend time on the alignment.

When you have investigated further, we do headlamp mount panels too, and repair sections for the inner valances as well, though we are currently out of stock of the latter...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm 
At last some piccies.

super strong glass how on earth it didnt break?
mummified exhaust
Think that I am definately in the market for retaining panel and inner valance repair glad the club do them. Any idea how long the valance may be out of stock for please?

Its very encouraging to know its a well known and loved car. She is so much better than the 1500fwd I had as a yts mechanic at 18. Restoring that on £29.50 a week was tricky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:30 pm 

I hope you didn't mind me editing the post so the photos show. Your headlight retaining panels are in better shape than mine were! Alun's panels are well worth every penny.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:39 pm 
No sir don't mind that at all thanks for doing that what did I miss?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:36 am 

You just put up the links to the Photobucket. There's 4 types of link for each photo so I just edited each link you put up for the one that's for forums (it is the bottom one) and put [img] tags round it so the actual photo would show up in the forum post.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:34 pm 
Slow progress at the mo unfortunately due to lack of time but so far replaced two horns two track rod ends. Oil leaks etc next