The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:33 pm 
Hi All, hope we are well. Dolly has finally arrived with me, my first Dolomite and my keeper for sure. Im utterly delighted with her and over the coming years will have a full ground up restoration. She will be staying 100% standard as im not into modified stuff personally (although be a dull world if we were all the same). I have never in all my days seen a car with so much history - so lucky to have her. The original bill of sale, 2x BL Stamped Passport to Service booklets with handwritten notes, hundreds of dealer Service receipts of every penny spent on the car from the early 70s to date, copy of the chaps driving test certificate, two sets of keys on original Keyrings, photographs, and the original 8 track as detailed on the original invoice, original dealer stickers and Triplex decals etc. Took me a week but all the history is now catalogued in polly pockets and in a huge binder in chronological order. This will be my keeper. A Scottish car all its life bar 6 months down south, so she has effectively came home. A roadtrip to its original street is required! . Naturally a fairweather car only. One happy boy, absolutely ecstatic! !! I have just today posted off my club application form. Hope we are all well. Kind Regards, Russell. Ps... if you are on the facebook page you will already have seen this!

Last edited by Dolly-Dimple on Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:42 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

What a car. All original paperwork and looks inside out.

Congratulations, and all the best.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:45 pm 
Thanks very much mate, much appreciated indeed. Means so much to have her tucked up in the garage :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:00 pm 

It brings tears to my eyes
£2.80 for 8 gallons of petrol.

I find the purchase price interesting, as a 1850 was purchased for my brother in May 1974 for £1250.00, same options bar the cassette deck.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:03 pm 
Oh I know, if only we could get petrol for that today...was all relative I guess though :-)

Strange about the price a year later...you would think if anything it would have been higher. Strange. Is your brothers then Dolly still on the go do you know?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:26 pm 

I was only 4 back then, but those were the best days.

The car was bought from Leigh and Botfields, 1974, and in 1984 passed to my other brother who sold it to a mechanic.

The mechanic restored the car to working order and before my brother could buy it back, it was stolen (VYK 974M Brown 1850).

I'm waiting for my car to be made roadworthy again, currently in Dorset, but first item to go in will be an old iPhone with a backup battery and charging circuit,(all hidden) easy way for tracking the car.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:43 pm 
The Brown 1850 sounded a gorgeous car, What a shame what happened to it. I cant blame you for wanting to track your Sprint, not a bad idea at all!!! :-)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:48 pm 
Brilliant photo's, many thanks for sharing. I love the sweeties on the boot, brilliant!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:50 pm 
Many thanks Bill, much appreciated mate :-) The Dolly Mixtures were a must :-) Hopefully meet up at some point if your Edinburgh / Dundee way, im in Dalgety Bay.

Kind Regards

Russell.

Last edited by Dolly-Dimple on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:54 pm 

I saw this for sale on here. If I had the money and space I would've considered it myself. It looks too good to restore. You don't want to lose the originality. If you have any questions just ask.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:04 pm 
Many sincere thanks to you Toledo man, much appreciated indeed :-) I appreciate greatly the support. It does need work don't let the pictures fool you (don't they all!!) but I wont go overboard with it :-) All the rusty bits away, a full respray (including underbonnet) and ill be quite happy :-) Its had work in the past anyways. I just want it as nice as its possible to get it. I shall keep you updated :-)

I see you are an area rep, is there much happening club wise up my way do you know? I am still awaiting my membership pack through with much anticipation :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

Last edited by Dolly-Dimple on Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:05 pm 
Thanks Mikey much appreciated indeed for that :-) The early ones do hold a massive charm for me :-)

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:59 pm 
Russell, we must meet up!
2 white 1850s going for a coffee!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:01 pm 
That is an absolute must Bill, it would look fabulous and be great to meet you. Count me and Dolly in!! Can get some nice photos of the two cars together.

Kind Regards

Russell.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:49 pm 

It looks like Bill has made contact. He can certainly help you. You can compare the differences in your 1850s. I'm posting from work at the moment so I can't help you with the details of the local area meetings. All the details are in the club magazine.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle