The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:21 am 
TDC Member

Nice work on the pipe there, make sure its clipped nicely as its copper and can cause a nuclear explosion 8) .
After chasing fuel starvation I replaced all the underneath pipes with new and added a return pipe for when it gets injection :)

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:14 pm 
Yep a few of the clips broke when I removed the old pipe. I got some new clips and secured it nicely, so we can all go back to DefCon 2 8) . Agreed, as I have used copper and if it is not clipped in sufficiently it is an Extinction Level Event! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:18 pm 
TDC Member

All good then :thumbsup:

Tony

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:47 pm 
Went for the MOT today. It failed.

N/S rear indicator not working, I didn't have time to fix it there and then. Had a look this evening and it was simply a badly fitting bulb holder, sometime it worked, a slight tap and it would stop. So I bent the prongs of the holder out a bit and cleaned up the contacts, now it is fine. A quick trip back to the tester on Wednesday and I should have a new ticket.

Last edited by Karlos on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:53 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

That's the car just having a Loki day.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:37 pm 
I now have another 12 months MOT ticket on the car. I have decided it is time to deal with a few of the advisory notices, the first being the prop-shaft centre bearing. The rubber bearing mounting has a split in it running over half way around.

I have removed the prop shaft and dismantled the centre UJ and removed the old bearing. I have bought one for a Ford Transit and I'm now in the process of modifying the original Triumph mount, using this guide:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=21574&hilit=Ford+transit&start=15

Also I cleaned out the fuel pump filter, mine is the type with a single screw on top of it. Although I have an inline filter, the fine filter within the pump had loads of rust particles on it, to whole surface was covered.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:35 pm 
Completed the work on the prop today. Nice new rubber carrier and bearing fitted along with a new UJ in the middle of the prop shaft too.

I bought some of the club carb mounts and also fitted them. Went for a quick blast and they have helped the poor running but still have problems. I was trying to tune the carbs a bit now that it was not sucking air and found that the piston in the rear carb is sticking. Not sure how to fix this other than a replacement dashpot piston and damper. Anyone have any ideas why it sticks? It look clean enough inside the dashpot and I top up with oil every couple of weeks, often it seems I use more oil in the dashpots than in the engine....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:28 pm 

Sticking air valve is usually down to dirt or lack of use.

Try it without the needle too. Its easy to take the needle out - it could be what is causing the stick...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:18 pm 
Thanks for the heads up Jonners. I took the piston and dashpot off the carb and did a simple drop test:
removed the damper and spring
turn the dashpot upside down
inserted the piston/air-valve/whatever-it-is-called and allow it to drop into the dashpot.

It stuck a few times so I washed them all in clean petrol. Tried my drop test again and there was no more sticking. Also checked on the jet, it is still round too. Re-assembled and it is no longer sticking when manually lifting and watching it smoothly fall back.

I then went for a drive to the dump, same as I did a month or 2 earlier. Had to queue up the ramp again and ran out of fuel at the top. GRRRR!!!! Again I had no fuel in the inline filter that I fitted between the tank and the fuel pump. Had to suck fuel up to the carbs again and luckily I had my battery booster pack as it took a long while of cranking to get the car running again. So it looks like I am going to have to get a replacement fuel pump as I have replaced all the fuel lines and I am still getting starvation. New alloy carb mounts were also fitted this weekend as the old rubber ones were leaking badly, but the car was still spluttering albeit less than before. The only thing left is the fuel pump so I'm off to the wanted adds....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:34 am 

This could also be the old chestnut of your pump sucking air through a pinhole in one of the rubber joining sections...

Go through all of them before condemning the pump. Beware some "new" pumps have too high a pressure, which defeats the float valves and causes flooding and over rich mix.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:00 pm 
I'll check the pipes again. Haven't had time this weekend, I had enough of it cutting out and generally cause problems so I have been ovoiding driving it.
If the pipes check out OK then I was looking at going electric and by using one of these. The delivery pressure looks like it is low enough:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181265997564
In the add itself it say 2.4-4.4 psi is that low enough?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:47 pm 

Nope...too high....

SU pump should be 1.5 psi IIRC. You may get away with 2.5 but I needed 1.5 on my SNag with bergs, which are of course crap, even with new valves...

Fuel pressure reg will do it. Leccy pumps are an admission of defeat though. I know some swear by them but a decent mech pump lasts pretty much for ever and should be all you need, but I know it gets ever harder to find a good mech pump when you do need one.

Jonners

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:09 pm 
Checked all the pipes again and they are fine no air or fuel leaks. I bought a new pump and fitted club solid carb mounts. Car starts fine from cold but once it is hot it will not idle, and will not restart until it has been allowed to cool for 10-15 minutes. Starting to run out of ideas whats wrong with it now.
I balanced the carbs to try an get a steady idle but below 1200 rpm it will cut out and not re-start. While searching on the forum for some inspiration I noticed that this page is no longer availalble: https://dollywiki.co.uk/wiki/SU_Carburetor_Tuning.
Is there an alternative guide to setting up SU's? (Other than my useless Autobooks Dolomite manual)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:48 pm 

Shot in the dark, but have you checked the float lid gaskets, ie; present and good flush fit.

Also worth checking the connector between jets and float chambers, mine were loose, albeit a long time ago.

On the motorway no one can hear me sing!
Construed as a public service, self preservation in reality.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:29 pm 
Another shot n the dark - have you tried taking the in-line filter out (especially if it's a plastic one).

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next