The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: MUF286P
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:24 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Do you know when you are really excited after buying a new classic and it arrives so you spend a couple of days figuring out what parts you need and what jobs need done? Then you look at the list and say s***, what did I get myself into - well I'm there :roll:

Best analogy is James Herriot - he said when you looked at books about being a vet it was white coated gentlemen in a beautifully lit theatre with their arm inserted a civilised distance up the back end of a cow - the reality is it's cold, your lying on hard surface in a damp pool slowly getting wet and your arm is inserted to the armpit and you still can't reach. MUF286P is kinda like that :woohoo:

She looks great at a distance.

Got a look at the dolly last night and today and there is a huge list.

Diff is leaking.
Wiring is shot and has 40 years of addons to figure out. Make new loom.
headlamps/grill need reassembly
doors need aligned
window and door seals need fitting
boot seal also
clutch master cylinder is not standard (land rover?) and pedal is solid.
water pipes look perished
all chrome trim needs installed (one gutter chrome on car but won't stay on front pillar)
gear lever feels like someone poured bitumen into its socket
seats have fag burns and cuts
rust at bottom of inner wings- may only be surface. boot and engine bay were never resprayed
at some time the front light panels and in around radiator have been treated -waxoyl i think so don't know whats under there.
split trim at base of gear lever
mirrors and bumpers need rechrome
figure out if newtronic elec ignition still works
service carbs and check fuel tank condition
replace all brake and clutch pipes + fit new pads

Now the bits I notice missing - was told everything was there.

1 door striker missing (so door tied with magic baler twine)
plastic rivets for holding on honeycomb
chrome ends for rear window chrome
gutter chrome
boot seal
all screws and bolts required

To top it all the I found filler at the top of the door opening.

Apart from that everything is rosy :D

Post subject: Re: MUF286P
PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:15 pm 
...could be worse....Image

I'm thinking of restoring this...!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:24 pm 

Fair play to you.

That's a serious job. You have a lot more patience than I do. Please tell me you won't tackle it outside as well?

Can any1 join your masochists club? :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:33 pm 
...fortunately, it won't be my first, and it won't be out in the open - too cold over the winter, and I intend to crack on, as I have with my previous Resto's - I'm 3 in so far, but none on this scale - momentous task..but somebody apart from Mad Mart has to save them one basket case at a time...! Good luck with yours though..sounds like a full weekends work at the most.... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:35 pm 
...oh yeah, and my new Dolomite Masochists club is free to join for anyone with a long-term restoration and wallet stretcher... :D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:43 pm 
...got any pics yet of your new Dolly Davie? ...we all love pics on here...get some up asap - there is a handy guide on the "Home" page of how to do it - then we can all have a gander at what needs doing/sorting...be proud, and show off your new steed!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:06 pm 

I just have the sexy vaslined lens mobile ones 8)

I'll get some real ones this weekend for you with the real story.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:35 am 

That seems pretty reasonable for a day 1 "at a glance" list. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:14 pm 

I'm guessing you have a farming background with references to vets and cows and using baling twine :lol:
Doesn't sound too bad, as for 'Chestefields' car that is bloody awful, what Muppet would even think of putting a Triumph Laurel on a Dolomite rear wing burn it quick before someone else thinks its a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:16 pm 

Call it like you see it Justin....lol...

Looks like we have 2 resto threads here.

For the newbies to this Forum TrustNo1 isn't as bad as he sounded here....

Its usually me that needs telling off....

The red one is a serious project. Good luck with that.... I think the Laurel is the least of your problems.
So get cracking with a resto thread then...

Jonners

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:09 am 
TDC Member

Quote:
I'm guessing you have a farming background with references to vets and cows and using baling twine :lol:
Doesn't sound too bad, as for 'Chestefields' car that is bloody awful, what Muppet would even think of putting a Triumph Laurel on a Dolomite rear wing burn it quick before someone else thinks its a good idea.

Probably the same guy that decided putting a laurel on the bonnet! :lol:

Tony

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:14 am 

Yes I'm farming background and work for a farmers association - yawn.

Don't worry I won't be using massey ferguson badges instead of laurels though :D

Post subject: blue smoke?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 5:38 pm 

so I turned brave today and got a battery rigged up a gravity feed to the carbs and stuck in 4 plugs and reinstalled expansion tank.

I turned the key and ****me it started. Ran on 3 cylinders and the blue smoke had the whole housing estate coughing!!!!!!

Checked the gauges and alternator works and aftermarket gauges show oil pressure.

I ran only for a few mins as I'll have to ascertain that the water pump works.

Started it a few times over a period of an hour and by the third time smoke was gone completely at idle. Also cyl4 seems to be back online 90% of the time. Unfortunately at higher revs smoke comes back and there is defo a metallic tappety clicking sound. Where would you start?
Valve guides?

Strange there is no smoke at all at idle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:39 pm 
the tapping is likely to be a worn timing chain or it slapping the guides, most of them do it. or larger than preferred tappet gaps.
i expect it needs a good run and some decent oil - then re-evaluate the blue smoke. if it persists it can only be one of two things (usually).

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:34 pm 

Did my clutch slave this afternoon. I now totally believe in tunnel access plates :D

I did it without removing the bracket. Just removed feed pipe, clevis pin on lever and the two bolts holding the cylinder. Split the old cylinder for the spring to put in my new super duper stainless sleeved club one. The crud and fluid inside the old one was pretty grim. No wonder it was seized!

Was excited till I pushed the clutch pedal - still solid. with the bleed nipple underneath open I gave it some wellie. It released but there are effectively no seals on the master cyl. The club didn't have any sleeved ones in stock o I guess I'll get a cheapy in the meantime.

I also really enjoyed the moment when I stuck the jack under the chassis leg and the lovely waxoiled leg just crumpled. I took out my screwdriver and started poking. She was a rusty piece of crap that someone waxoiled to hide it and sold it on. I can see many months of plasma and welder ahead :(

The cill lip is pretty thin - you certainly wouldn't stick a jack under them. The actual floor pans look ok as do the cills but the lip is as feeble as can be. The boot under the fuel tank is shot and there seems to be an awful lot of mastic/ seam sealer everywhere. I am toying with the idea of getting the whole underside soda blasted and see what shows up. I cant think of another way as it's a sticky mess - underseal, waxoil, old engine oil mastic? All I know is it's sticky n black :x

Apart from that I love the car. You just gotta love the guys who repsrayed a car with no underside. It's like polishing a turd!!!!