The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:04 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:34 pm 
Hi. Im a first time Triumph owner, after having a fair few Rovers and Land Rovers (still have some of each) and always wanted a Sprint. A friend had this Toledo for sale and after 6 months of negotiations I collected it today. I know it will offend some due to its stance, and believe me I dont want to run it this low so something needs to be done. I really am a complete novice to these cars so I need to research some info. Apologies if I ask questions that most will think are obvious/stupid etc.

So as I wanted a sprint, is it possible to fit the twin lamps from one to a Toledo? Are the two cars even the same size? I dont know what the two cars share etc. Im no novice to mechanics, which is obvious when you run land rovers as you kind of have to be but ive not seen the two cars side by side.
My first priority is suspension. I believe it has herald stuff on it hence why its pretty much touching the floor. Is there a coilover type kit available or a common lowering technique. I want it lower than standard but this is clearly too much.
Any other help/links to sites/pointers on what to do id be grateful.
This car hasnt been on the road for 17 years so it will need some recommissioning too so a place to get parts and recommendations on what parts to get will be gratefully welcomed.

Thanks in advance, and here she is:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:47 pm 
TDC Member

The dolomite shell is about 6" longer, but just in the boot. All the drive train can be swapped if you are so inclined. (not a popular choice with some!) You need to change the whole front subframe, the gearbox tunnel, fit sprint diff etc. The headlamp mounts are different, but you can fit them instead if you want to.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 pm 
Blimey I thought this was larger than a Dolomite!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:50 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Welcome to the forum.

It is indeed shorter than a Dolomite. You've come to the right place for help and advice. The first question you should ask yourself is what you want out of the car. You already know that you want it lower than standard but not as low as it already is so that's one thing already. Getting the car road legal should be your first priority.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:55 pm 

This car has been in here before, some pictures survive on its thread;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23918

Please check, if you're keeping the TR7 wheels (which look awesome), that they have been drilled out to nut/lug centric as in their standard form they are meant for hub centric fitting only. See here;

http://www.auskellian.com/paul/links_fi ... wheels.htm

It's a route I have looked into before. All the best with this car, it should be great when done.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:14 pm 
Thats great info thanks! Obviously getting it road legal is my main concern hence having to sort the suspension first!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:01 pm 
So update from today. Had a few hours tinkering once id replaced a rear wheel bearing on my Disco so had a better look round her.

Then had to concoct some ramps to get it on the lift:

Had a ganders underneath:

Can see where its been hitting:

Noticed its missing a washer from here:

Should be like this:

Also needs some track rod ends which ive ordered. Also needs some bushes but Euro Car Parts dont list those so I need to find someone who does so I can replace them once the arms are clean and painted:

Started wire brushing it ready for the underseal:

Now as far as the wheel debate goes. Mine has hubcentric for the centre bore, and the wheel studds are very tight on the wheel. There is zero movement. Look perfectly safe to me or am I wrong?

So next is to carry on cleaning underneath and paint it up, I will be raising the engine and box an inch to clear the subframe then make some more adjustments to try and keep a similar stance without hitting the tarmac as much! Also want to basic wheel nuts, not the large chrome ones it has. Tested a 2002 MG wheel nut and was exactly the same so hopefully I can use some steel wheel nuts from a Rover 25/45 as long as they are flat and not pitched. Otherwise ill need to find something else. Then more to do but ill do a bit at a time!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:05 pm 
Hiya. Nice looking Tolly. These are nice old things and are pretty easy to work on. Almost as easy as a Landie.

Rimmers, Fitchett, Mick Dolphin et al can supply bits.

Lovely colour too but feck, is that one low car or what. Lucky not to have scraped more lol.

Look forward to hearing and seeing more about it!

Cheers

Ken

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:13 pm 
Thanks, much appreciated :)
I presume as Rimmer dont list Toledo I can go with the Dolomite section?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:04 am 
Looks like it could be a fair amount of work. Because of that, just wondering why you went for this car if you were after a Sprint? It could be one of those situations where holding out for a Sprint could end up with less hassle, and end costs will likely be comparable.
I prefer the Toledo rear end personally but I also know I like a car that is a bit nippy, so I looked for a mongrel.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:31 am 
Why is it a lot of work? I wont be restoring it to new, itll be motd and used regularly

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:56 pm 

I think that from your initial post, we were under the impression that you were going to Sprint the Toledo , If so, as Al says the end price could be comparable.
Have to say that interior looks very tidy!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:32 pm 
Oh I see. No i meant ill make do with the Tolly. Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused LOL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:38 pm 
Quote:
Oh I see. No i meant ill make do with the Tolly. Thanks for clearing that up, I was confused LOL
Sorry, didn't mean to come across as challenging your decisions.
Good luck with the car.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:40 pm 
No not at all, I just misunderstood. Crossed wires thats all. No its staying as a Toledo. My plan is to restore the underside and keep the body as it is......