The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next
 Post subject: Re: Project: TYD
PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:06 pm 
Haven't posted in a while because of exam season. Managed to purchase some below par primer to sort some paint issues on the front of the car. That didn't go to well! Bought some better stuff and as soon as it's a nice revision free day i'll be pleased to be getting on to it! :D :D

Planning to put in for MOT after that's done, and am starting to think about things that will improve the drivability of the car,
By adding a second wing mirror, electronic ignition,refurbing the carbs (gunson's colour tune is pointing towards worn needles) and new tyres(the ones on there have plenty of tread depth and look new but are at least 15yrs old).
I wondered If there was a 'recommended' tyre brand or size?
Which needles/kit I should go for?
Planning to drive it around awhile before any 'upgrades' but I wondered what people have done to their cars that they feel has improved the driver experience.

Got a picnic rug ready for the backseats! :D

Cheers,
Dalton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:10 pm 
In relation to the driving experience I would start with getting the basics sorted first. Get the carbs sorted and balanced, get all of the ignition components up to scratch and make sure that the car has a really good service including setting the correct gaps on the rockers. Make sure you use a proper oil filter with the non-return valve.

Once these are done you can look at options.

Decent tyres will make a difference as will the correct pressures.

It depends on how much you want to pay. You can go for upgraded brakes, suspension - uprated shocks and springs and exhaust system - Club stainless system for example.

LED bulbs - dash bulbs and external? Better seats from a Rover 45, leather appeal?

I fitted an Accuspark setup to my 1300 FWD and that made a real difference. Go the whole hog and fit an electronic distributor and do away with points and condensor. You also have the benefit of a brand new distributor. Uprated fusebox with more fuses over standard. The Club does an excellent electronic voltage stabiliser.

Good luck.

Ken

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:04 pm 
TDC Member

Oil change, new filter, new plugs, adjust tappers, new air filters and electronic ignition would get the car running a dream. Carb rebuild also highly recommended, get the full rebuild kit - new jets and needle, but also make sure you also get a new throttle spindle and throttle disc. Should be as good as new then!

1962 MGA 1600 Mark II
1965 Mobylette SP50 (project)
2001 Rover 75 2.5-litre V6

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:24 pm 
Tappets, filters, oil, plugs and leads all done, so looks like I'm halfway there! Getting excited for the first drive! :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:30 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

The Britpart electronic ignition kit is a cheap and easy route to electronic ignition and there's no need to change the coil. The Dolly 1300 only has a single SU HS4 carb so it will be cheaper and you could even run to a professional rebuild by the likes of Burlen or Andrew Turner. A service kit will be cheaper still. You will need to quote the number that is on the tag on the float chamber to be able to obtain the correct service kit. If you're unsure about a carb rebuild, take lots of photos or video the disassembly process so you know what goes where. The Dolly 1300 used ABF needles.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:53 pm 
Had dolly in for and MOT today and she failed!
Emissions,
Wheel bearing,
headlight alignment,
Wiperblades in effective,
Parking brake efficiency,

These seem fairly easy to sort, gave the carb a strip and careful clean with some petrol- it was full of rubbish and the piston was sticking, so hopefully after a go with the colour-tune it should pass emissions.

The car does however seem to cut out after revving- the fuel pump seems to struggle to get enough to the pump but it is a new one- any suggestions or should i just get a electric one to try and sort it?

The rest i'll try and do over the next couple days- now i know whats wrong i feel like i'm getting there now ! :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:40 am 

That's not such a bad failure list and should be easy to sort out. Mine is due an MoT once the subframe mounts have been repaired. I've had to farm that job out to a local classic-friendly garage so they can get it MoTd once they've done the subframe mounts.

Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:51 am 
Funnily enough when one of the mechanics at the garage first started out in the trade his first bit of training was servicing dolomites!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:39 am 
WOOHOO MOT PASS :!: :D
I am absolutely loving the car even if it has "broken down "thrice already!
First occasion was a round about on her maiden voyage, fuel pump had some crud in it so a quick clean and me filter before it should solve it.

Second time was a leaky clutch pipe, which has now been replaced.

Third time was a total loss of power, managed to roll down a hill into my friends garage, and a clean and inspection of carbs and pipes seem to have sorted it.

The car is such a pleasure to drive and I couldn't be more happy with it.
Happy motoring!
Dalton

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:41 am 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:58 pm 
:jump4joy: Well done, it looks good too. Enjoy.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:29 pm 

That is superb! Well done to you Sir.. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:32 pm 
Thanks guys! Can't wait for some summer driving!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:28 pm 

Dalton, the photo is too big even on my 24" monitor. It needs resizing. I've noticed you've uploaded the photo to a hosting site. There should be a link for the next size down so just edit the post above and replace the link.

My failure list was 3 times longer than your's but half of them should be easy to sort out. Glad you're enjoying the car. You're going to find more problems once the car is back in regular use. One thing I'll recommend is electronic ignition. The Britpart kit is the one to get and is a straight swap for the points and condenser. You don't even need the change the coil. I've got one fitted to a Sprint dizzy on my 1850 and it hasn't given me a moment's bother since. If you're interested THIS is the one I bought.
One thing which will transform driver comfort is a set of the wider HL/Sprint seats. The front seat rails are further apart but the holes are there so they'll bolt straight in once you've cleaned the threads up with a tap.

Are you going to the TDCIR in September?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:58 pm 
My computers played up recently, so my posting is from a tablet which for some reason isn't letting me reside as normal, but oh well! Will find a way:)

The driver seat is pretty poor as some of the foam has deteriorated inside so new seats is definetly something for me to look into as well as the electric ignition!
Provided I get some miles on the clock and sort out these naggling issues, i am planning to get to some club events soon!

Can't wait till I'm confident with the car and its state of health so I can do longer runs!
Thanks,
Dalton

Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next