The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:48 pm

All times are UTC+01:00

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:16 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Gary, don't worry about what other have said. Even though I'm against taking out the autobox running gear out, it is YOUR car and you can do what you see fit. If it puts it back on the road then as Steve has said, it isn't such a bad thing. I know what I would've done.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 9:07 am 
Gary,

Firstly, sorry the Sprint needs more work than originally thought.....................I honestly dodn't know. :(
Secondly, as other's have said they are YOUR cars and you do as you wish..........

Thirdly, before you go down this route, remember me telling you about the "mint" Dolomite Sprint shell that as resided in a garage near me for years, plus a 1980 White Sprint (not so mint) that sits outside and along side the garage?.................

I can try and find out if the owner "would sell" but I have been trying to see somebody at the premises for years BUT I did see somebody there last weekend and he said he would mention it to the owner...........

So you want me to enquire?.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 12:19 pm 
You have a PM Mike

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 7:07 pm 
As you know this is my first sprint/ 1850 however I do own 5 other classic cars, Jaguars etc which intend to hire out (chauffeur driven). So we have been thinking long and hard over the comments that have been made in the last week or so. I originally both cars for my son and myself, however we have now bought him MK11 golf which he is now warming to. So it gives great pleasure to announce that the 1850 auto will be restored to it formal glory ( well nearly, it will be a darker blue,as all my other classic are dark blue), however there is one down side to this, we will selling the sprint whole. We have done the engine (not stripped just serviced and sorted oil leaks) and welded the roof but the rest has been untouched. It will need a new vinyl roof and liner, but is ready to drive away. So if anyone is interested I will put on the classifieds now and then on the bay in 48 hours to give anyone on the forum a head start.

If interested please pm me with email address so I sent some pictures over

I have not have any up to date pictures at present, so will sort some tomorrow and post.

many thanks
Gary

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:30 pm 

If you're going to change the colour to a darker shade than French blue, how about Sapphire? A Triumph colour which should fit in with the rest of your fleet. With all the running gear out, it would also be an opportunity to fit Super Flex bushes to the suspension and subframe. A few hundred quid's worth but Chris Witor gives a discount on Super Flex bushes to club members, the saving would pay for club membership and he does next-day delivery if you order early on in the day. It would be a good idea to refurbish everything while it is still off the car. By the time your shell is ready, you will have nice clean bits to bolt to your nice freshly painted shell. I'm glad you're putting the 1850 back to original specification.

Keep us posted with your progress.

Just one more thing: I've noticed that you had 2 threads so I've merged them. You can change the title of your thread by editing the first post.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:42 am 

I would personally only bother with the drag strut bushes and the rack mounts and subframe bushes.

Good result all round and do keep us posted.

Jonners