The Triumph Dolomite Club - Discussion Forum

The Number One Club for owners of Triumph's range of small saloons from the 1960s and 1970s.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:44 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:20 pm 
TDC Member

Not exactly a restoration, well at least I hope not, maybe a few tweaks here and there, but it was suggested that I start this thread to cover what work is done on my just acquired Sprint.

Let's throw in some details on what history I do know about the car according to the paperwork. HHC 857N is a Dolomite Sprint sold to Mr Harry Alfred Barber of Roselands Close Eastbourne on the 1st July 1975 by G.F. Swan Ltd of Cowbeech, Sussex. There is now quite some gap to say the least until the next bit of information that I am aware of, when on the 6th August 2009 Roger Gledhill purchased the vehicle from Percival Motor Company of Ulcombe, Maidstone for the sum of £3995 as a restoration project. In the intervening 34 years between these two events, stuff happened, no idea what though other than a bit of information from xvivalve that it was owned at one time by G Miller, and the number plates do say 'Graham's Sprint' to add weight to that suggestion! A few other details for those interested, commision number VA10270, engine Number VA10388HE and body number 117873WB; all corresponding to the original Triumph 'passport'.

Saturday was collection day, and the 90 mile trip back from the dealer was a risk, so I took backup in the shape of a friend and towing bar. Now I made two mistakes on the way back, first was that I stopped off at the Dartford crossing services for a quick assessment and team chat (or p155 stop!) and got stuck in a huge queue at the A13 roundabout on departure. This is of course when I noticed that the tickover was far too high at about 1400, just what you need in a traffic jam in an unknown 40 year old car. Finally back on the M25 and the next thing noticed is the vibration, and rattling of the steering column at anything over roughly 50mph, still, it sort of smoothed out a bit when going faster. Over the radio my mate in the backup car asks if I know I'm doing 70mph, glance down at the gently fluttering speedo needle hovering at around 60mph and I realise that the speedo is under reading by at least 10mph, I slow down as my mind tries to recall any speed cameras passed and if I smiled for the constabulary.

What about the second mistake I hear you ask? Now as I'm nearly home, I'm feeling all confident and stop off for a coffee. Duly refreshed I get back into the car and it barely turned over. Seems the battery isn't all that, which is odd considering there had been a previous stop, and I had been turning it off and on in the traffic jam every now and again, and it had turned over fine. Battery tops had not all been put back on properly at some stage, suspecting that there had been an attempt to revive the thing, and maybe the underbonnet heat had dried out a cell. The voltage gauge showed a normal charging voltage so I don't think it was overcharging and boiled it dry. By this time the backup car had left and my mates mobile was going to voicemail, a quick Google then found me a Kwik Fit just at the top of the road. Not feeling confident I walk in and ask for a battery for a '75 Sprint, and though they unsurprisingly didn't have it listed they found a battery that was almost a match, a little taller, but that was fine. Stunned at the helpfulness of the staff, their knowledge, even nipping down the road to give me a jump start, I had to check on the way out that it did actually say Kwik Fit over the door. That's the first invoice added to the cars paperwork collection then!

So, things observed back at home during a thorough inspection on Sunday:

The steering column adjuster doesn't make the steering stay put, I think that's supposed to be a fibre washer of some sort.

There are a number of hoses that look none too clever

Passenger footwell carpet is damp, with moisture below, and a bit of surface rust.

Carb mounts look like they are ready to leak if not doing so right now.

There are oil leaks from both the engine and the rear axle, though the diff seal has apparently been replaced relatively recently.

That rear wheel arch doesn't look to clever, which is a shame as there is a bill from the Morris Minor Centre/KA Motors Ltd for £288 to repair and respray this section in June this year, I suspect there is an untreated rusty section behind that.

Not sure why that rear door sticks out a little.

Brake fluid is at the 'danger' level, suggests a leak or most likely that the pads and shoes are worn down.
Speedo is going to need to be recalibrated, or I'll use an old Origin B2 as a speedo tucked away.
There is a fair amount of axle tramp if not careful to slip the clutch when pulling away, suspect mounting bushes have gone soft.
Webasto sunroof doesn't seem to want to open more than 100mm.
Indicator flash rate is lethargic at best, but when indicating left and braking at the same time they don't even bother to attempt to flash.
Wipers look new, but miss a big chunk right in the driver's field of view.
Doesn't appear to have any antifreeze, and that's not a good thing with a Sprint engine.
Idle is lumpy, and too fast.
Choke fast idle is far too high.

The engine oil leak adds an intoxicating aroma to the vehicle when the engine warms up, all it needs is a little Hai Karate splashed around, and some Old Holborn in the ashtrays to really hit that 1970s aromatic sweet spot! My primary concerns at this stage are to change all of the cooling system hoses, sort out the front vibration (not likely to be the brakes, doesn't go away under braking), and give the car a good service and tune. Longer term, not sure yet, in saying that the one thing that put me off this car before I realised that there are not really enough Sprints out there to be too choosey, is the lack of overdrive. It was noticeable just how much it was needed for relaxing cruising just bringing the car home. Undecided what to do about that though, retrofitting is not a simple or cheap task but as the box whines a fair bit in 3rd, if it comes to having the box reconditioned then I might as well go for adding overdrive.

Still, even with that long list I'm not complaining, that is one extremely handsome looking car!

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

Last edited by Galileo on Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:15 pm 
Future Club member hopefully!

Get those hoses replaced pronto. You can flush the cooling system and renew the coolant at the same time. A wavering speedo could be a problem with the speedo cable (kinked or not seated properly). The vibration could be your front wheels needing balancing. It is possible that the balancing weights might've come off during your epic journey. The Dolomite uses an 038 or an 015 type battery which is the same as the Mini (the proper one, not that thing that BMW make in Oxford) and a few other Triumph cars. The carb mounts might not be leaking but I'm sure the carbs will have dropped a bit and this might be the cause of your idling problem. The club do solid carb mounts so you should invest in a pair. This is on my "to do" list. You seem to have got off lightly with the bodywork. At least your Sprint is all one colour unlike my 1850! Best to deal with the problems you do have before they get any worse. My steering column is the same as your's. It is one of the various niggly jobs that are way down on the priority list. Your indicator problem is most likely down to a bad earth. Your rear bushes could well be on their way out. You need to take a good look underneath. I once had a rear tie bar mount break on my Dolomite 1300. My pigeon poo welding wasn't up to repairing it so I just fitted a replacement rear axle (a 4 hour job on my own!). If you need new bushes, Super Flex are the ones to get and Chris Witor gives TDC members a discount on the bushes.

Keep us updated with your progress and get those questions asked.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:15 pm 

Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the forum :).

Whoever suggested that you join was wise as this is possibly the best place to get any information you need!

Brilliant pictures too :)

I look forward to hearing/seeing more!

Pete

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:11 pm 
TDC Member

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I couldn't help but comment on the Kwik fit response to your predicament, when my 77 yr old mother, who had just hit a pothole 100 yrds from a Kwik fit center, damaging the tyre, asked for some assistance they refused, stating that they could not do roadside repairs. Needless to say she didn't take it there for the repair!!!
I also note that your build no is only 400 more than mine, being registered in Jan 75, having non sundym glass, overdrive (optional extra) and headrests. is your colour Mimosa?

Keep us posted on progress your at the right place for info and assistance.

75 Sprint in Magenta called GunGaDiN GGD944N
2017 Jaguar XE R-sport

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:41 pm 
Pic attached is of your car in the spring of 1992 or 93 at Drusillas Zoo park not far from Eastbourne back in the day when I was active in the East Sussex group (mine was the vermillion 1300) I think the owner then is the bald guy standing behind the car (maybe wrong as its 22 years ago). I didn't know him but would expect Keith Rudrum (sprintypantsman and then owner of the green and silver Sprint)- then Area Rep may know if he is still in touch on the forum?...wonder what happened to the large BL spots?

Attachments:
scan0004.jpg
scan0004.jpg [ 167.33 KiB | Viewed 4413 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:23 pm 
TDC Member

Thanks for the suggestions Toledo Man, and the hose change has started today with an order placed for an entire set from Robsport for £46. They seemed quite cheap but looked identical to other suppliers, even minus the set of mild steel jubilee style clips that I wouldn't use anyway.

First thing I will get checked is the wheel balance as the cheapest option to rule out, but I've improved the clattering from the steering column by being able to clamp it in position finally, no more aeroplane style push pull steering yoke! I'm not sure how long it will last, for I just used an old rubber grommet that was the same size as the washer but it is nice and tight now.

They fitted a type 159 and I do recall seeing that the original battery was a type 038, but as the new battery is only 25mm taller, and it's paid for, and secure, it's staying on there for now! :)

Thanks for the welcome lazeruspete!

I know what you mean about Kwik Fit oily66, I walked in with a sinking feeling expecting the usual bored idiot who may or may not have the communal brain cell for the day, but I was genuinely surprised at their helpfulness, and ingenuity in finding something that would fit. So if you're desperate and near Bar Hill (just off the A14 in Cambridgeshire) then you may actually have that rare thing of a good experience from Kwik Fit. And yes, no Sundym or (sadly) overdrive (yet a full length sunroof, in the UK?!), headrests have been a retrofit, and very much Mimosa.

Holy crap YMW860V, how on earth... I mean that is proper travelling back in time, I'm oddly extremely impressed by that picture! I was trying to work out if it had the 135 nose badge back then, but you can't really tell. It's definitely spent a big chunk of not just its early life, but later on too in the Eastbourne area hasn't it?! Them spots are pretty impressive, the look like a set of Cibie 500's, though unless I was rallying they are just a tad overkill...

Only just noticed this on the passenger foot plate today, not sure how I never noticed it before, but that's rather a short phone number! I checked and they are still going, and surprise surprise have an Eastbourne branch.

These bolt marks in the N/S of the bulkhead caught my attention today, I wonder what used to bolted here? Looks to be original factory as there are neat cutouts in the sound deadening on the inside.

So far in the past 72 hours of ownership I've fixed the steering column, tightened up the dubious aftermarket wing mirrors so that they don't just flap in the breeze, balanced the carbs (way out of tune), correctly set the ide and fast idle speed and it's clearly been appreciated as it has become a very smooth drive now. Probably need to wait until the weekend to do any more investigating, but it's fasinating unravelling things.

Past fleet: Triumph 2000, Lancia Beta Coupe, BL Mini Clubman, Austin Metro, Vauxhall Cavalier MK1 & MK2, Renault 18 D, Rover 216 GSI, Honda Accord (most expensive car purchase, hated, made out of magnetic metal as only car I've ever been crashed into...4 times), BMW 318, Golf GTi MK3 16v x 3

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:40 am 

That footplate is a great find, usually history is a piece of paper from where it was serviced, unusual to find hard evidence :)

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=23031

Volkswagen Golf MK3 Gti....R301UUJ. RIP 22-5-13
Volkswagen Golf MK4 TDGTI 150 MM53VNT Sold 7-8-17
BMW 320d Coupe M-Sport YL08 XBZ with factory fitted Performance Pack - Sold 22/05/21
BMW 330d Touring M-Sport WN63 XPY - best daily ever

Proud TDC Member!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:20 am 

Really like this one...

There I was thinking all Sprints had sundym....

I would also recommend fitting an overdrive box. Its not a difficult conversion.

Come back to me via PM if you want to do this...

And would it be churlish to point out this car is an N reg and not an M....

Jonners

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 5:37 pm 
I looked at this one the weekend you bought it! Went down very early on the Saturday morning, spend the weekend trying to negotiate a price I was happy with and was told on Tuesday morning some bugger had bought it! Haha :lol:

Very interested to see how this one goes, as it seems a very nice car, and I loved the sunroof (although also when I tried it only retracted a 1/4 of the way back!). Unfortunately I'm still on the look out for one but it didn't quite tick all the boxes for me, as you mentioned before the lack of overdrive was quite a big turn off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:39 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I looked at this one the weekend you bought it! Went down very early on the Saturday morning, spend the weekend trying to negotiate a price I was happy with and was told on Tuesday morning some bugger had bought it! Haha :lol:

Very interested to see how this one goes, as it seems a very nice car, and I loved the sunroof (although also when I tried it only retracted a 1/4 of the way back!). Unfortunately I'm still on the look out for one but it didn't quite tick all the boxes for me, as you mentioned before the lack of overdrive was quite a big turn off.
It was you! :o The dealer (well the dealer's marketing guy) did say that someone had seen it in the morning. Well, small world but in a way not, we were both chasing a very small number of cars after all so this was bound to have happened!

I've been looking for over 6 months, and every car had something wrong with it, too rusty, expensive, dubious, too much of a project. Or if it ticked all the boxes it had gone by the time I had a chance to see it. Like you I wanted overdrive, but I also wanted a car in much better mechanical condition and with history. And as you know, no history to talk of with the car, no overdrive, dodgy mechanicles and overpriced. By this stage though I've decided I've had enough, I'm going to be looking for ever to tick all of the boxes, and life's too short.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:47 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
Really like this one...

There I was thinking all Sprints had sundym....

I would also recommend fitting an overdrive box. Its not a difficult conversion.

Come back to me via PM if you want to do this...

And would it be churlish to point out this car is an N reg and not an M....

Jonners
Well spotted Jonners! I seem to have had a mental block with this number plate, I mean I can still remember TAR 507J (Hillman Avenger), one of my dad's many cars after all but I've got this one wrong twice now! Edited my original post to have the right one now, in case anyone wonders what we are going on about!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:26 pm 

I'd already edited the thread title as soon as I saw Jonners' post.

West Yorkshire Area Organiser & forum moderator
Meetings take place on the first Wednesday of the month at 8.00pm at The Old Brickworks, Wakefield Road, Drighlington, Bradford, BD11 1EA

1972 Dolomite 1850 auto (NYE 751L - Now for sale)
2003 Volvo XC90 D5 SE (PX53 OVZ - The daily driver)
2009 Mercedes-Benz W204 C200 CDI Sport (BJ58 NCV - The 2nd car)
1991 Toyota Celica GT (J481 ONB - another project car)
Former stable of SAY 414M (1974 Toledo), GRH 244D (1966 1300fwd), CDB 324L (1973 1500fwd), GGN 573J (1971 1500fwd), DCP 625S (1977 Dolomite 1300) & LCG 367N (1975 Dolomite Sprint) plus 5 Acclaims and that's just the Triumphs!

Check my blog at http://triumphtoledo.blogspot.com
My YouTube Channel with a bit of Dolomite content.

"There is only one way to avoid criticsm: Do nothing, say nothing and BE nothing." Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:49 pm 
TDC Member

Quote:
I'd already edited the thread title as soon as I saw Jonners' post.
Oh no, that makes 3 times then, as I thought he meant in the body text... Well hey, at least I was consistently incorrect!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 7:04 am 
Quote:
Quote:

It was you! :o The dealer (well the dealer's marketing guy) did say that someone had seen it in the morning. Well, small world but in a way not, we were both chasing a very small number of cars after all so this was bound to have happened!

I've been looking for over 6 months, and every car had something wrong with it, too rusty, expensive, dubious, too much of a project. Or if it ticked all the boxes it had gone by the time I had a chance to see it. Like you I wanted overdrive, but I also wanted a car in much better mechanical condition and with history. And as you know, no history to talk of with the car, no overdrive, dodgy mechanicles and overpriced. By this stage though I've decided I've had enough, I'm going to be looking for ever to tick all of the boxes, and life's too short.
I've only been looking for a month and it was the first one I'd gone to look at, my head said not to get carried away too soon as it was definitely overpriced, but I was a gutted to find it had sold. I'm sure I'll find myself in the same situation as in a few months time!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:06 pm 
TDC Member

Well, if I was brutally honest with myself, I think you could get a car in similar condition for no more than £5k. It is not like it's had a full restoration done, it's only actually a respray deep in quite a few places.

Wish you all the best in finding your own one, and if I have one tip, it's don't ring the carandclassic website private numbers from your mobile!